Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

So?

In the end, you know that people aren't changing, just as we know that the Pirates aren't changing. There are no surprises.

That leaves the individual to make an easy decision: Do you let it get to you or not?

SammyKhalifa

Off Season Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7144535358615353585F53360 wrote: So?

In the end, you know that people aren't changing, just as we know that the Pirates aren't changing.  There are no surprises.

That leaves the individual to make an easy decision:  Do you let it get to you or not?

So if it starts dominating every possible topic it just ruins everything.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

073539392D1F3C35383D3235540 wrote: It appears to me that you missed my point.  If I wasn't clear enough, that's my fault.

My point is that Cashman calls himself "The Most Second-Guessed Man On Earth."  Some of that is because of population....and, popularity of the team worldwide.  I would think that the NYC metro population is a little larger than The Burgh's.

If he can be second-guessed as often as Yankees fans are known to do, then it seems apparent to me that the general manager of other teams- including our Pittsburgh Pirates- accept the fact that people are going to be critical of their decisions.

The criticism that Cherington's received on this board is a sauna bath compared to things I've heard over here in the Philly area about their sports teams' management.  Probably true of Boston and NYC teams, too.  If a major league sports executive can't handle it, then they should go into a less visible and less demanding occupation.

It's not about Cherington's feelings, though, as I doubt he reads OBN or other forums:  it's about the quality/quantity of discussion:

"What a beautiful spring day.  I'm so glad that camp starts and maybe we can get back to normal"

"YOU KEEP DRINKING THE KOOL AID NUTTING APOLOGISTS!  CHERINGTON SUCKS!  SALE THE TEAM!"

"Uh, okay . . . "

Not saying that's going on here or it will, but I've seen it.  It's is tiresome.

But more to the present, I'm still not sure how anyone can have much of an opinion on the new GM when we haven't had any results yet.  Saying he's good or bad is so premature at this point, like a teacher handing out grades before the student even hands the test in.
_______

How far must the can be kicked down the road before we can start judging Cherington???
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

2A313C3D343837590 wrote: It appears to me that you missed my point.  If I wasn't clear enough, that's my fault.

My point is that Cashman calls himself "The Most Second-Guessed Man On Earth."  Some of that is because of population....and, popularity of the team worldwide.  I would think that the NYC metro population is a little larger than The Burgh's.

If he can be second-guessed as often as Yankees fans are known to do, then it seems apparent to me that the general manager of other teams- including our Pittsburgh Pirates- accept the fact that people are going to be critical of their decisions.

The criticism that Cherington's received on this board is a sauna bath compared to things I've heard over here in the Philly area about their sports teams' management.  Probably true of Boston and NYC teams, too.  If a major league sports executive can't handle it, then they should go into a less visible and less demanding occupation.

It's not about Cherington's feelings, though, as I doubt he reads OBN or other forums:  it's about the quality/quantity of discussion:

"What a beautiful spring day.  I'm so glad that camp starts and maybe we can get back to normal"

"YOU KEEP DRINKING THE KOOL AID NUTTING APOLOGISTS!  CHERINGTON SUCKS!  SALE THE TEAM!"

"Uh, okay . . . "

Not saying that's going on here or it will, but I've seen it.  It's is tiresome.

But more to the present, I'm still not sure how anyone can have much of an opinion on the new GM when we haven't had any results yet.  Saying he's good or bad is so premature at this point, like a teacher handing out grades before the student even hands the test in.
_______

How far must the can be kicked down the road before we can start judging Cherington???

How about just ONE normal offseason! You know, where he's on the job prior to November and a global pandemic doesn't wipe out the minor league season and most of spring training. Let's see what he does between now and Opening Day 2021. If his performance is no better in a normal off season than it was in this past screwed up year, then we have something to complain about. Until then, it's pretty hard to take the criticism seriously.
SammyKhalifa

Off Season Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I mean his number one job should be to rebuild the minors and development, and we've seen literally zero of that.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

14262A2A3E0C2F262B2E2126470 wrote: I mean his number one job should be to rebuild the minors and development, and we've seen literally zero of that.
______

I would rather see him improve the major league team than the minor league team or player development.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

"Could the Yankees re-unite with Didi Gregorius in 2021?"

____

I wonder if the Pirates could re-unite with anybody in 2021?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

59424F4E474B442A0 wrote: "Could the Yankees re-unite with Didi Gregorius in 2021?"

____

I wonder if the Pirates could re-unite with anybody in 2021?

The Pirates will be reuniting with lots of players. Unfortunately, they'll all be Pirates.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

15272B2B3F0D2E272A2F2027460 wrote: So?

In the end, you know that people aren't changing, just as we know that the Pirates aren't changing.  There are no surprises.

That leaves the individual to make an easy decision:  Do you let it get to you or not?

So if it starts dominating every possible topic it just ruins everything.

The thread's purpose is to rate moves made by teams.

Of course, comments are going to be made.

Some will agree.  Some won't.

Is there a rule that requires people to....read....every thread?

If there isn't, then choose the threads you read and pass over as a suggestion.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Reading an article on Marcel Ozuna and his pending free agency. The question about him revolves around the fact most of his starts were as a DH, and how that impacts his value.

In the article it was stated that MLB has not resolved the issue of a universal DH yet. However, it did state that the issue is likely to be resolved before the end of the World Series.

I hope MLB doesn't goof this up. NL teams deserve a chance to fully prepare for this if it's going to happen.