2. Frazier

3. Polanco

4. Cervelli

5. Dickerson

6. Bell

7. Moran

8. Hechavarria

9. Nova

Cards are 15-4 since Bader replaced Fowler, who is injured. We will need some offense tonight.
JollyRoger

8/28 vs Cards

Post by JollyRoger »

In the 70’s I hated the Reds. The Big Red Machine got all the publicity even though the Pirates won 6 Divisional Titles and 2 World Series. The Reds were so cocky.

Today it is the Cardinals I can’t stand. I’m tired of them finishing ahead of the Bucs. However the Cardinals are a classy organization with great fans. Perhaps I am just jealous of them. Whereas I detested the Reds, the Cards are deserving of respect.
Ecbucs

8/28 vs Cards

Post by Ecbucs »

this is Bucs chance to hurt the Cards in the standings. Going to need a big comeback to do it.
JollyRoger

8/28 vs Cards

Post by JollyRoger »

I respect the Cards but I certainly don’t want a perfect game thrown against the Bucs. Flaherty perfect through 4; meanwhile Nova implodes in the bottom of the 4th. Down 4-0.

May not be watching this much longer
SteadyFreddy

8/28 vs Cards

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates have now lost 19 of their last 30 games since winning 11 games in a row 5 weeks ago. And this is also after they went out and supposedly made the team better by acquiring both Archer and Kela at the deadline shortly after the winning streak ended. There are no major injuries on this team in the last month or so everybody has been available and in the lineup and in the rotation pitching as well and yet the team still continues to lose. There are still 30 games left exactly in this season. If they finish the year losing another 19 of 30 games then it’s time to seriously start taking a look st this entire coaching staff and Hurdle. It’s unacceptable in my opinion to finish the year this terribly with a healthy team. There needs to start being more consequences and more stinkin accountability within this front office and there is absolutely going to be none as usual and I’m so so so tired of it and it makes me absolutely sick.
Bobster21

8/28 vs Cards

Post by Bobster21 »

14332226233E01352223233E470 wrote: The Pirates have now lost 19 of their last 30 games since winning 11 games in a row 5 weeks ago. And this is also after they went out and supposedly made the team better by acquiring both Archer and Kela at the deadline shortly after the winning streak ended. There are no major injuries on this team in the last month or so everybody has been available and in the lineup and in the rotation pitching as well and yet the team still continues to lose. There are still 30 games left exactly in this season. If they finish the year losing another 19 of 30 games then it’s time to seriously start taking a look st this entire coaching staff and Hurdle. It’s unacceptable in my opinion to finish the year this terribly with a healthy team. There needs to start being more consequences and more stinkin accountability within this front office and there is absolutely going to be none as usual and I’m so so so tired of  it and it makes me absolutely sick.
Hurdle has always been weak in game management. But it also appears the larger decisions may be getting made by NH as was the case with recalling Holmes to start that game in SF and NH's reliance on his analytics staff, which would be meaningless unless Hurdle was onboard with decisions made from such data. In other words, Hurdle's mgt responsibilities seem to be limited and those he has the freedom to do--decisions from the dugout during games--are the ones he's always been weak at. TBMTIB is obviously quite satisfied with this arrangement since the NH/Hurdle co-op received joint 4 year extensions this year. NH seems to make too many decisions directly effecting games and Hurdle is the figurehead in the dugout who takes the heat. Seems like job security was the #1 priority this year as NH seems to have sold Nutting a bill of goods on what a great team he and Hurdle are. NH has since even admitted his goal is to win 78-82 games a year and hope for an occasional over achievement. With expectations that low, there is no accountability for failure because success is not expected.
DemDog

8/28 vs Cards

Post by DemDog »

While I have no argument about NH, CH capabilities in there jobs. Right now I think it is more the players who are scuttling the Pirates' ship. We all know who they are. Now what does TBMTIB do about it!
IABucFan

8/28 vs Cards

Post by IABucFan »

I went to the game last night. It was my first time taking in a game in St. Louis. It was a great atmosphere. I was hoping the game would have more significance from the Pirates standpoint, but such is life. One thing I really liked about the game was the Cardinals didn't have this incessant need to fill every moment between innings with some gimmick. The game was the focal point. Not "Cardinal Kids ask the Redbirds," or "Cardinals Trivia," or four guys dressed up in Cardinals costumes racing around the warning track. It was all about baseball from the first pitch to the last GIDP to end the game. It's almost like the Pirates feel like they have to entertain the fans with stuff off the field because the product on the field is so putrid.

Besides that, the arch is cool with a lot of history about St. Louis and how it was founded and it's importance in American history being the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. You can take a trolley car up to the top of the arch and they have an observation deck where you can look out over the city. There's a great view of the stadium from the arch.

I didn't remember St. Louis having a subway system. Perhaps they built it since I was there last. But, it's very good and seems to go all over the city. The people were very friendly, even as I was decked out in Pirates gear.

All in all, I would go back and take in a game in St. Louis again in a second. Great atmosphere. It almost makes me wish I could go back to my childhood and choose to be a Cards fan rather than a Bucs fan. First class organization all the way. And even after they punt the season by trading Pham and firing Matheny, with most of their rotation on the DL, plus Wong, and now Gyorko, there they are leading the WC again. The Bucs seem to always have an excuse for everything. The Cards just seem to find a way to win.
Bobster21

8/28 vs Cards

Post by Bobster21 »

797172455376515E300 wrote: I went to the game last night. It was my first time taking in a game in St. Louis. It was a great atmosphere. I was hoping the game would have more significance from the Pirates standpoint, but such is life. One thing I really liked about the game was the Cardinals didn't have this incessant need to fill every moment between innings with some gimmick. The game was the focal point. Not "Cardinal Kids ask the Redbirds," or "Cardinals Trivia," or four guys dressed up in Cardinals costumes racing around the warning track. It was all about baseball from the first pitch to the last GIDP to end the game. It's almost like the Pirates feel like they have to entertain the fans with stuff off the field because the product on the field is so putrid.

Besides that, the arch is cool with a lot of history about St. Louis and how it was founded and it's importance in American history being the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. You can take a trolley car up to the top of the arch and they have an observation deck where you can look out over the city. There's a great view of the stadium from the arch.

I didn't remember St. Louis having a subway system. Perhaps they built it since I was there last. But, it's very good and seems to go all over the city. The people were very friendly, even as I was decked out in Pirates gear.

All in all, I would go back and take in a game in St. Louis again in a second. Great atmosphere. It almost makes me wish I could go back to my childhood and choose to be a Cards fan rather than a Bucs fan. First class organization all the way. And even after they punt the season by trading Pham and firing Matheny, with most of their rotation on the DL, plus Wong, and now Gyorko, there they are leading the WC again. The Bucs seem to always have an excuse for everything. The Cards just seem to find a way to win.
The Cards have always seemed like a classy org to me. And I think they have the best looking uniforms in MLB. Clearly, their priority every year is to win. Sadly, that is not the case with the Pirates and NH's dream of 78-82 annual wins.
BenM

8/28 vs Cards

Post by BenM »

0B0300372104232C420 wrote: I went to the game last night. It was my first time taking in a game in St. Louis. It was a great atmosphere. I was hoping the game would have more significance from the Pirates standpoint, but such is life. One thing I really liked about the game was the Cardinals didn't have this incessant need to fill every moment between innings with some gimmick. The game was the focal point. Not "Cardinal Kids ask the Redbirds," or "Cardinals Trivia," or four guys dressed up in Cardinals costumes racing around the warning track. It was all about baseball from the first pitch to the last GIDP to end the game. It's almost like the Pirates feel like they have to entertain the fans with stuff off the field because the product on the field is so putrid.

I spent my high school and college years in Illinois not far from St Louis and went to a bunch of games (including that time we decided to drive through a tornado warning). I've only been to a handful of games in the new stadium, but the atmosphere is great there too.

A lot of cities claim to be great baseball cities, but St. Louis really is.