Bucs Trade Shendrick Apostel for Cubs RP Duane Underwood

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Underwood can't be optioned so this trade is a bit of a mystery, but he was highly regarded a couple years ago.

Makes me think that a shoe has got to drop with the Bucs trading away one of their vet closer candidates to make room. Bucs will want a couple guys with options so they can refresh the staff from AAA. Feliz, Stratton, Shreve, Underwood and Oviedo can't be optioned, and Sam Howard will be a second lefty. How can you keep Bednar off the staff the way he's pitching?

Apostel wasn't highly regarded, but he was a rarity: a low minors 1st baseman.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Cubs had DFA'd Underwood. Pirates DFA'd Fulmer to open a roster spot. If Fulmer clears waivers he could go to Indy.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Looked at Underwoods minor league stats, and he has made a lot of starts. I wonder if the Pirates may be thinking of him being a starting pitcher, and one of the 5 expected starting pitchers will be moved very soon. Since Underwood is out of options, one would assume he will break camp with the team. With the way some of relievers have pitched it is going to tough to pick the best 8 for the bullpen. There may be a couple of trades coming down the road.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

If there are other Apostel's in the family, I would advise that they either prepare to be traded early on or sign with another organization.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

3F3332696069616C6B746E590 wrote: Looked at Underwoods minor league stats, and he has made a lot of starts. I wonder if the Pirates may be thinking of him being a starting pitcher, and one of the 5 expected starting pitchers will be moved very soon. Since Underwood is out of options, one would assume he will break camp with the team. With the way some of relievers have pitched it is going to tough to pick the best 8 for the bullpen. There may be a couple of trades coming down the road.
FJK, I only see one start at the MLB level, so I don't think he's competing as a starter.

The more I look, the more I believe we're going to trade a reliever. Seems like we'll need a 6th starter, and we're built to bring up someone from AAA for a quick up and down. But we'll need someone with an option to make that work.

Here's a possible scenario:

Keller, Brault, Kuhl, Anderson and Brubaker are 1-5 starters.

Rodriguez, Stratton, Crick, Feliz, Oviedo (Rule 5) and Bednar are 6 righty relievers.

Shreve and Howard are lefty relievers.

When 6th starter is needed, Bednar is optioned. Crowe, Ponce or Yajure gets the spot start, then gets sent down.

Santana, Hartlieb or Cederlind gets called up until next time we need a 6th starter.  Crowe, Ponce or Yajure gets the spot start, then gets sent down. Bednar comes back up.

Notice that I am not including Underwood. I don't see a spot for a another reliever without an option. Somebody's got to go!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

How many of these pitchers can be sent to minors without going through waivers?

K[highlight]eller, Brault, Kuhl, Anderson and Brubaker are 1-5 starters.

Rodriguez, Stratton, Crick, Feliz, Oviedo (Rule 5) and Bednar are 6 righty relievers.

Shreve and Howard are lefty relievers[/highlight].

and are there other pitchers that don't have any options remaining?

Fulmer is an interesting case in that the Bucs see something in him yet he isn't thought highly enough to have a 40 man spot.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Per the PG:

Asked whether Underwood Jr. profiles as a starter or reliever with the Pirates, Shelton said it's likely too early to predict.

"We’ll have to get him in camp and take a look at him first," Shelton said. "The fact that he does have versatility is very useful to us. I would think initially it would be [a] multi-inning [role] out of the bullpen, but the fact that he has started before is definitely a benefit."

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2103070215
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

725455425444370 wrote: How many of these pitchers can be sent to minors without going through waivers? 

K[highlight]eller, Brault, Kuhl, Anderson and Brubaker are 1-5 starters.

Shreve and Howard are lefty relievers[/highlight].

and are there other pitchers that don't have any options remaining?

Fulmer is an interesting case in that the Bucs see something in him yet he isn't thought highly enough to have a 40 man spot. 

Of the righty relievers I mentioned as our "first 6", Rodriguez, Crick and Bednar could be optioned. Howard, a lefty, could also be optioned. But I think it's doubtful that vets like RichRod and Crick would be, and Howard is one of only two lefties.

The newly acquired Underwood can't be optioned. Santana, Hartlieb, Cederlind and Mears are on the 40-man and have options. So do Sean Poppen and Tyler Bashlor, but I think they'll be DFA'ed to make room for our Minor league free agents.

At some point, Jose Soriano, our top Rule 5 guy, will come off the 60-day IL and will need a spot. And what about Clay Holmes? He has looked good this ST, but he's not on the 40-man, like Fulmer.

There are 5 more righty relievers in camp as NRI's. The Inn is full!