Rule 5 Draft Will Present Difficult Choices for Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6746535A625B40534657320 wrote: Seems thin to me.

I easily protect Cruz and Thomas and say bye-bye to Ponce and Hanhold.

Not going to look good if we lose early 20-year olds with potential for late 20-year olds that are fungible.

I agree in that its not like Ponce and Hanhold look like they have much potential to be big league contributors.

I'm also surprised that Oliva and Allen survived so the Bucs must think he has a chance to be a part of next year's team.

While Oviedo didn't do much with Pirates last year the team must be very high on him.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

IMO , not protecting Martin will prove to be a mistake.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Cherington's Rule 5 selections came up short. I believe that Tahnaj Thomas, Omar Cruz and Mason Martin should have been protected - probably at the cost of cutting Allen, Hanhold and Ponce.

I expect we will lose all of them in the Rule 5. Maybe Calvin Mitchell, too.

I am beyond disappointed with BC's decisions, I am bewildered.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7D575C6C5B4D4D412E0 wrote: Cherington's Rule 5 selections came up short. I believe that Tahnaj Thomas, Omar Cruz and Mason Martin should have been protected - probably at the cost of cutting Allen, Hanhold and Ponce.

I expect we will lose all of them in the Rule 5. Maybe Calvin Mitchell, too.

I am beyond disappointed with BC's decisions, I am bewildered.
I hope they don't lose anyone for the sake of protecting Allen, Hanhold, Howard, Oliva, Mears or Kranick. It is bewildering.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

As much as we'd like to protect everyone, they can't.

I see some of the names that could be replaced. However COMMA....

as fungible and replaceable as guys might be, they also represent guys with MLB experience. Unless you're good with fielding a major league team with a handful of guys who never played beyond AA, fine.

Go look at how many guys were taken in the Rule 5 draft FCOL over the last 10 years. And some of you think the Pirates could lose 3-4 guys?

Please give me what you're smoking.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

725453464F4354424A210 wrote: As much as we'd like to protect everyone, they can't.

I see some of the names that could be replaced. However COMMA....

as fungible and replaceable as guys might be, they also represent guys with MLB experience. Unless you're good with fielding a major league team with a handful of guys who never played beyond AA, fine.

Go look at how many guys were taken in the Rule 5 draft FCOL over the last 10 years. And some of you think the Pirates could lose 3-4 guys?

Please give me what you're smoking.
The 2022 team is a good bet to finish last in the division again. Anything more will be a pleasant surprise. So I would rather have a handful of players with little or no experience beyond AA--who could be part of the team's future--than to use fringe players for those roster spots whose experience has shown they have little to offer especially if their presence on the roster results in players with more potential being lost in Rule 5.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Rumbunter ran this this morning on the Rule 5. Besides CBA information, they cover the original intent of the Rule 5 draft and if it actually still lives up to that intent.

https://rumbunter.com/2021/11/22/pittsb ... t-concern/
steve49

Post by steve49 »

7150454C744D56455041240 wrote: Rumbunter ran this this morning on the Rule 5. Besides CBA information, they cover the original intent of the Rule 5 draft and if it actually still lives up to that intent.

https://rumbunter.com/2021/11/22/pittsb ... t-concern/

Good find. That might very well explain why those fringe players were kept and 3 good prospects were exposed.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Breaking Down Ten Options for the Pirates in the Rule 5 Draft

https://pittsburghbaseballnow.com/ten-o ... e-5-draft/
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

717473757D776E737A696F621B0 wrote:

Breaking Down Ten Options for the Pirates in the Rule 5 Draft

https://pittsburghbaseballnow.com/ten-o ... e-5-draft/
The Giants' catcher, Ricardo Genoves, sounds like the best choice. If we have a DH, it almost becomes a no-brainer.