5/23 game day thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

5/23 game day thread

Post by IABucFan »

Bob Walk was adamant that it wasn’t a base running error. Said he and Wehner would disagree, but Walk really thought Meadows did nothing wrong, just a goofy play.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/23 game day thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Thanks, I didn't see a replay.

Not much of a description in the box score.
iabucco

5/23 game day thread

Post by iabucco »

Well, it was a base running error because he got thrown out. On the other hand, I wouldn't characterize it as a TOOTBLAN. You want to get a good lead but with the shift he didn't really have much of a margin of error and got stuck. He did do the right thing and not try to get back into second but couldn't stay in a rundown long enough to get Mercer over.

From what I have seen Meadows has had really solid at bats. He would look good in the two hole.
Bobster21

5/23 game day thread

Post by Bobster21 »

727A796E7878741B0 wrote: Well, it was a base running error because he got thrown out.  On the other hand, I wouldn't characterize it as a TOOTBLAN.  You want to get a good lead but with the shift he didn't really have much of a margin of error and got stuck.  He did do the right thing and not try to get back into second but couldn't stay in a rundown long enough to get Mercer over. 

From what I have seen Meadows has had really solid at bats.  He would look good in the two hole. 
Sorry but the #2 hole is already filled.

By a .220 hitter with the lowest OBP of all the starters except Mercer. ::)
SammyKhalifa

5/23 game day thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

yeah I think Ponco could use a trip down in the order for a while.
notes34

5/23 game day thread

Post by notes34 »

576569697D4F6C65686D6265040 wrote: yeah I think Ponco could use a trip down in the order for a while. 
I prefer and extended trip out of town but that's just me. ;D
SammyKhalifa

5/23 game day thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

ha, nah. i know we're enamored with the new guy after one week but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
dmetz

5/23 game day thread

Post by dmetz »

040F070B0E0F145157201901080F0F4E030F600 wrote: Meadows a lead off double in the 12th. Why the hell was Mercer not bunting him to 3rd

They haven't been bunting much at all this season.  I wonder how many bunts they have by position players?

I did miss it, but how did Meadows get out at third?  Did he break on contact?  Was he too far off of second?  Did he try for a run down to get Mercer to second? 

I hate mental errors.  Meadows throw to home plate and not second base was a mental (and physical) error.  Did he have one on the bases too?

As others noted, was a real no-win situation. He took secondary lead and mercer smashed a 1-hopper right up the middle but slightly to Meadows' left. So he initially turned to third off the secondary lead and immediately stopped and turned back. Was too late and he was hung up.

I agree with wehner (or what Walk said Wehner has told him) that you need to sit tight on it until it clears the pitcher, but no way to know if the 2bman had a play on it either, which would have been an easy putout for him at 3d had meadows tried to advance then.

The only win seems to be to not advance, sit tight on 2b and perhaps try for 3b if the ball clears the infielders.

It's interesting that Mercer wasn't bunting him over that late and that close, and then pinch hitting. I don't like sac bunting and am fine with swinging away there. The org strategy is definitely NOT to bunt, because that was a textbook scenario for it and we swung away.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/23 game day thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am not sure why they don't bunt anymore. The team is hitting so maybe that is taken into consideration. Three chances to get a hit vs two chances of a hit or one deep fly ball to the outfield. That debate has been going on for years.

Thanks for the info all on that particular play.
SammyKhalifa

5/23 game day thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm all for our recent decrease in using the bunt. Late in the game when you need one run might be a different story though, idk.