5/23 game day thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

5/23 game day thread

Post by INbuc »

That was a grinder. Great slide by Jordy on JHay's clutch hit. Very nice start by Kuhl, and Brault did some gutsy work late. Good win, but really that was a great loss to dodge.
IABucFan

5/23 game day thread

Post by IABucFan »

Tonight’s game also marks the unofficial 30% mark. Pirates are on pace for 91 wins. If they keep this up, they’ll be in the playoffs. They’d be the second WC team if the season ended today.
IABucFan

5/23 game day thread

Post by IABucFan »

07002C3B2D4E0 wrote: That was a grinder.  Great slide by Jordy on JHay's clutch hit.  Very nice start by Kuhl, and Brault did some gutsy work late.  Good win, but really that was a great loss to dodge.

Good way to put it. For the life of me, I can’t understand why people want Kuhl removed from the rotation. In my mind, he’s easily one of our top three starters, and right now, I’m not sure he’s behind Taillon.
rucker59@gmail.com

5/23 game day thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Sheezz, thank goodness this one is over with and the Pirates somehow held on. I don’t think I could bear one more inning of this torture.
SteadyFreddy

5/23 game day thread

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Having JHay back makes such a big difference. He just knows how to hit especially in key game on the line situations. You just know he is always at least going to put the ball in play. Another big double late by Meadows to get things kind of started that inning. I don’t see how you send him down now seeing how good he has looked this first week or so. If that decision comes down to Osuna or Meadows I’m sending down Osuna and keeping Meafows up here and sending a message to Polanco at the same time by doing so.
SteadyFreddy

5/23 game day thread

Post by SteadyFreddy »

50585B6C7A5F7877190 wrote: Tonight’s game also marks the unofficial 30% mark. Pirates are on pace for 91 wins. If they keep this up, they’ll be in the playoffs. They’d be the second WC team if the season ended today. I said it was important that they go at least 9-5 a few weeks ago in this 14 game stretch against teams like the White Sox, Padres, and Reds and close this stretch with a record of at least 28-21 going into these two huge series at home against both the Cardinals and Cubs Memorial Day weekend. Win today in Cincinnati and you can do just that. Need a good start from Nova today and nail this win down going into the series with the Cards this weekend.
rucker59@gmail.com

5/23 game day thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0D2A3B3F3A27182C3B3A3A275E0 wrote: Tonight’s game also marks the unofficial 30% mark. Pirates are on pace for 91 wins. If they keep this up, they’ll be in the playoffs. They’d be the second WC team if the season ended today. I said it was important that they go at least 9-5 a few weeks ago in this 14 game stretch against teams like the White Sox, Padres, and Reds and close this stretch with a record of at least 28-21 going into these two huge series at home against both the Cardinals and Cubs Memorial Day weekend. Win today in Cincinnati and you can do just that. Need a good start from Nova today and nail this win down going into the series with the Cards this weekend.

I agree - today is one of those Big Games the Pirates need to win heading into some huge series.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of confidence in Nova, especially at Cincinnati.

The pitching staff seems to be upside down. Nova and Taillon are the shakiest starters. Williams is becoming the number one pitcher on your staff. It’s great to have Williams and Kuhl step up, but we REALLY need Tallion and Nova to step up and lead the team. Nova needs to start today.
SteadyFreddy

5/23 game day thread

Post by SteadyFreddy »

2423353D3324636F16313B373F3A7835393B560 wrote: Tonight’s game also marks the unofficial 30% mark. Pirates are on pace for 91 wins. If they keep this up, they’ll be in the playoffs. They’d be the second WC team if the season ended today. I said it was important that they go at least 9-5 a few weeks ago in this 14 game stretch against teams like the White Sox, Padres, and Reds and close this stretch with a record of at least 28-21 going into these two huge series at home against both the Cardinals and Cubs Memorial Day weekend. Win today in Cincinnati and you can do just that. Need a good start from Nova today and nail this win down going into the series with the Cards this weekend.

I agree - today is one of those Big Games the Pirates need to win heading into some huge series.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of confidence in Nova, especially at  Cincinnati. 

The pitching staff seems to be upside down. Nova and Taillon are the  shakiest starters.  Williams is becoming the number one pitcher on your staff. It’s great to have Williams and Kuhl step up, but we REALLY need Tallion and Nova to step up and lead the team. Nova needs to start today. Really hoping today is one of those games where the offense jumps on the Reds real quick and Nova can get in one of his grooves where he doesn’t throw a lot of pitches and can get quick outs.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/23 game day thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

15303333260D30383A2D5F0 wrote: Meadows a lead off double in the 12th. Why the hell was Mercer not bunting him to 3rd

They haven't been bunting much at all this season. I wonder how many bunts they have by position players?

I did miss it, but how did Meadows get out at third? Did he break on contact? Was he too far off of second? Did he try for a run down to get Mercer to second?

I hate mental errors. Meadows throw to home plate and not second base was a mental (and physical) error. Did he have one on the bases too?
Bobster21

5/23 game day thread

Post by Bobster21 »

5358505C5958430600774E565F5858195458370 wrote: Meadows a lead off double in the 12th. Why the hell was Mercer not bunting him to 3rd

They haven't been bunting much at all this season.  I wonder how many bunts they have by position players?

I did miss it, but how did Meadows get out at third?  Did he break on contact?  Was he too far off of second?  Did he try for a run down to get Mercer to second? 

I hate mental errors.  Meadows throw to home plate and not second base was a mental (and physical) error.  Did he have one on the bases too?

The ball was hit sharply back to the pitcher. I guess with Meadows' secondary lead off 2B, he was trapped. the pitcher turned and went right after him. Meadows stayed in a rundown but Mercer didn't try for 2B. I can't fault Meadows but Mercer could have got to 2B if he tried. But then again, I don't know what the 1B coach was telling him.