Salary Dump Prediction Poll

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

There is still time for additional predictions!!!
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

Surprise Surprise:

According to MLB.com's Jon Morosi, the Pirates are expected to be sellers at the trade deadline unless the team's record improves drastically over the next month.

The Pirates have fallen back to Earth after getting off to a hot start and are now poised to press the reset button ahead of the July 31 deadline. This continues the rebuilding movement that began this offseason when Pittsburgh dealt mainstays Andrew McCutchen and Gerrit Cole. Morosi named Francisco Cervelli, Corey Dickerson, David Freese, Josh Harrison, Jordy Mercer, Ivan Nova and Sean Rodriguez as veterans Pittsburgh would consider trading. Jameson Taillon will also draw plenty of interest, though Morosi doesn't anticipate the Bucs shopping him. Either way, it looks like the Pirates are open for business.

---

CHA-CHING goes BOB's cash register.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

192B27273301222B26232C2B4A0 wrote: SROD will go when Kang comes.

Freese will go when Kang comes IMO.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

0C2A2B3C2A3A490 wrote: I will predict S Rod to be released and Polanco will be traded so Meadows can play on a regular basis. Luplow will become the fourth outfielder, but he will not play on a rotation basis as the 4 current outfielders.

If Rodriguez is released, they should bring up Bostick.  Bostick can spot start at SS and play the outfield if needed. 

I wouldn't mind them giving Bostick a shot.  He has hit at Indy and did well in his time with Bucs last year.  I don't think he is even as good as Harrison at short though.  He has only played 24 games there in minors and none since 2015.

People are giddy about bringing up a guy that has 3000+ at bats in the minors and only 27 career at bats in the MLB. This is where we are at, unfortunately.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

694D54434E554356220 wrote: Surprise Surprise:

According to MLB.com's Jon Morosi, the Pirates are expected to be sellers at the trade deadline unless the team's record improves drastically over the next month.

The Pirates have fallen back to Earth after getting off to a hot start and are now poised to press the reset button ahead of the July 31 deadline. This continues the rebuilding movement that began this offseason when Pittsburgh dealt mainstays Andrew McCutchen and Gerrit Cole. Morosi named Francisco Cervelli, Corey Dickerson, David Freese, Josh Harrison, Jordy Mercer, Ivan Nova and Sean Rodriguez as veterans Pittsburgh would consider trading. Jameson Taillon will also draw plenty of interest, though Morosi doesn't anticipate the Bucs shopping him. Either way, it looks like the Pirates are open for business.

---

I don't get why they would trade Dickerson. I don't see them trading Taillon at all and when you consider our starters in the organization aren't good and we have few on the farm close to being ready ... I don't see that one happening. No one on that list absent a healthy Cervelli and Dickerson brings you much in return.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

14040532242428470 wrote: Surprise Surprise:

---

I don't get why they would trade Dickerson.  I don't see them trading Taillon at all and when you consider our starters in the organization aren't good and we have few on the farm close to being ready ... I don't see that one happening.  No one on that list absent a healthy Cervelli and Dickerson brings you much in return.
It brings $$$$$$$$.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

Ok, outside of Dickerson would a trade of any of those players significantly hurt the Pirates? We would be thrilled to be able to get anything of value for Freese, Nova and SRod. I wouldn't be in favor of trading Mercer because I think he is worth more than we would get but if they think Newman is ready that is a doable trade. Harrison could become expendable if Kang is ready and could net a decent return. That leaves Cervelli. I would not be opposed to trading him while his value is the highest. He is always hurt and is having a career year.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

2F272433252529460 wrote: Ok, outside of Dickerson would a trade of any of those players significantly hurt the Pirates?  We would be thrilled to be able to get anything of value for Freese, Nova and SRod.  I wouldn't be in favor of trading Mercer because I think he is worth more than we would get but if they think Newman is ready that is a doable trade.  Harrison could become expendable if Kang is ready and could net a decent return.  That leaves Cervelli.  I would not be opposed to trading him while his value is the highest.  He is always hurt and is having a career year. 
I really doubt Cervelli brings much besides salary relief. I doubt you get a decent prospect.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

64657E6F79393E0A0 wrote: Ok, outside of Dickerson would a trade of any of those players significantly hurt the Pirates?  We would be thrilled to be able to get anything of value for Freese, Nova and SRod.  I wouldn't be in favor of trading Mercer because I think he is worth more than we would get but if they think Newman is ready that is a doable trade.  Harrison could become expendable if Kang is ready and could net a decent return.  That leaves Cervelli.  I would not be opposed to trading him while his value is the highest.  He is always hurt and is having a career year. 
I really doubt Cervelli brings much besides salary relief. I doubt you get a decent prospect.

best way to get a decent prospect is if two or more teams want a player. don't know if that will be case for many Pirate players.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2C2D3627317176420 wrote: Ok, outside of Dickerson would a trade of any of those players significantly hurt the Pirates?  We would be thrilled to be able to get anything of value for Freese, Nova and SRod.  I wouldn't be in favor of trading Mercer because I think he is worth more than we would get but if they think Newman is ready that is a doable trade.  Harrison could become expendable if Kang is ready and could net a decent return.  That leaves Cervelli.  I would not be opposed to trading him while his value is the highest.  He is always hurt and is having a career year. 

I could see a catcher getting a decent return from a team on a stretch run with questions at the position.