4/18 Game Thread Rockies@Bucs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Good to see Kuhl go six innings. Hopefully, he can improve on that as he has been pretty wild this year.

Crick threw strikes and Romero finished the game after last pitching 15 days ago.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

122F313C33393210382F3E38395D0 wrote: I think there's a pretty clear underlying assumption that they are playing over their heads. I think folks are waiting for the shoe to drop.

If the assumption is they can’t maintain .667 then yeah. But if this team can play .550 the rest of the season they finish with 91-92 wins. I think this team is capable.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

4B4C5A525C4B0C00795E54585055175A5654390 wrote: I think there's a pretty clear underlying assumption that they are playing over their heads. I think folks are waiting for the shoe to drop.

If the assumption is they can’t maintain .667 then yeah. But if this team can play .550 the rest of the season they finish with 91-92 wins.  I think this team is capable. 

Hmmm.  Perhaps that's actually the overreaction to a red hot start with the lumber?   .550 the rest of the way? Wow.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6C6B7D757B6C2B275E79737F7772307D71731E0 wrote: I think there's a pretty clear underlying assumption that they are playing over their heads. I think folks are waiting for the shoe to drop.

If the assumption is they can’t maintain .667 then yeah. But if this team can play .550 the rest of the season they finish with 91-92 wins.  I think this team is capable. 

People are waiting for sure. You see it here in the game threads when they lose. Ever notice the different "fans" show up just on this site? The social media sites are hit even stronger after a loss.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I feel like there's a pretty big "i told you so" crowd that just wants them to suck to validate their negative opinions about the organization.

I think those are probably ignorant of just how bad this team was with Littlefield in charge and conflate their down 2016 and 2017 with the factors that allowed for the 20 year string of losing seasons.

I'm not sold on this being a playoff team yet, but it's also hard to be a baseball playoff team, but they are a competitive franchise and just a prospect or two breaking the right way this season to get there (looking at Glasnow, Meadows and Keller).
rucker59@gmail.com

6B626A7B750F0 wrote: I think there's a pretty clear underlying assumption that they are playing over their heads. I think folks are waiting for the shoe to drop.

Hmmm.  Perhaps that's actually the overreaction to a red hot start with the lumber?   .550 the rest of the way? Wow.

Maybe. That’s what will determine whether this has been a fluke or not. I don’t imagine too many people are willing to say .500 would be a fluke, not now. The teams that squeeze 1 extra game out of 20 will be in a position to play in Oct. can the Pirates win 11 out of 20? I don’t know, but I think maybe they can. I’d feel a lot better if the FO added one quality starter. They didn’t so it’s all more of a crap shoot. But I think it’s not crazy to believe this team is likely to win somewhere between .450 and .550 of its remaining games.

That’s all of two game difference over 20 games.

I’m more than willing to be critical. At the beginning of the 2016 season I was one of the first to say this team had been totally mishandled and they were going to fall off their tiny perch they had carved out for themselves. I was equally down on them last year, totally POed at the BS spinning out of the Federal Street office. I was ready to blow this team to pieces in the offseason, had lost all faith in the FO. But I’m willing to look beyond my personal issues with the organization and try to see what we’ve got. Several things pushed me to think this team might well exceed expectations. Nothing has changed that. In fact, I think the numbers line up for the Pirates: I think Polanco is going to have a very good year and I think Nova has pitched better than expected or his numbers show so far.

If the tightwad owner would add $20M to payroll then I don’t think anyone would be looking past the Pirates toward the Brewers. In the meantime, I think our beleaguered GM has put together a pretty good team.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

A good start is better than a bad start. Means the season is at least interesting for a couple months.

Maybe the team is good, maybe it has been lucky, maybe we have just been playing the weaker teams.

Just keep enjoying the wins!
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

* I expected this team to be terrible. (I picked 63-99).

* So far I have been (happily) wrong.

* So far I have thoroughly enjoyed this season and am thrilled with .667 baseball and FIRST PLACE.

* But it it still SO EARLY, and just because I'm still expecting the proverbial shoe to drop and this team to fall off significantly, doesn't mean that I'm negative. I think I am more of a realistic -- but I am hoping like heck that I am dead wrong.

* I really like the way this team has started ... but personally I don't see how the starting pitching is going to hold up (compared to other contenders), and I don't believe that the offensive will ultimately be good enough to compensate for a pitching drop-off by scoring the 5-6 runs per game that will be necessary to win. I just don't see it happening.

* But, with all of that said, hey, 12-6 is 12-6 and FIRST PLACE is FIRST PLACE, and now it's on to Philly. Let's enjoy it while it lasts ...

* Philly will be difficult. They are at home and playing very well. If the Pirates can get 2 of 4 and return home 14-8 I'll be happy.
rucker59@gmail.com

6E656D6164657E3B3D4A736B6265652469650A0 wrote: I think there's a pretty clear underlying assumption that they are playing over their heads. I think folks are waiting for the shoe to drop.

People are waiting for sure.  You see it here in the game threads when they lose.  Ever notice the different "fans" show up just on this site?  The social media sites are hit even stronger after a loss. 

On the one hand I get it. The FO really did create their own PR nightmare and I suspect a lot of people are going to be slow to give them any benefit of the doubt. Even then, I think a lot of cynicism has been created, that "if the team does perform well the FO will sell-off or whatever".

But on the other hand, for pretty serious fans, sometimes I think our personal investment into the team makes it all the harder to see anything positive. It's hard riding the ups and downs of this organization. In the past few threads, this emotional roller coaster is definitely at full speed. I do think most people on this board are die-hard Pirate fans. I also think a lot of people will wait for a larger sample size. But I think most will be riding the good times if the Pirates are still looking competitive by June 1.

I really try to be fair. Sometimes I'm all in and sometimes I feel cheated. I truly wish Neal had $20M more to work with. But I can say, for all the crap I've given the past two years, I think Neal has done built a pretty good looking team - and I couldn't be happier.
rucker59@gmail.com

6143504D4E4B4C43605741414D220 wrote: * I expected this team to be terrible. (I picked 63-99).

* So far I have been (happily) wrong.

* So far I have thoroughly enjoyed this season and am thrilled with .667 baseball and FIRST PLACE.

* But it it still SO EARLY, and just because I'm still expecting the proverbial shoe to drop and this team to fall off significantly, doesn't mean that I'm negative. I think I am more of a realistic -- but I am hoping like heck that I am dead wrong. I don't think you're being negative. It is an absolutely unexpected start. The fact you can be happy to be wrong (me too) is a "separator" of some fans; I think (although I don't blame anyone that has quit on this owner.

* I really like the way this team has started ... but personally I don't see how the starting pitching is going to hold up (compared to other contenders), and I don't believe that the offensive will ultimately be good enough to compensate for a pitching drop-off by scoring the 5-6 runs per game that will be necessary to win. I just don't see it happening.you and I have the identical concerns. If this team falls away I believe it will be the rotation that is simply understaffed.

* But, with all of that said, hey, 12-6 is 12-6 and FIRST PLACE is FIRST PLACE, and now it's on to Philly. Let's enjoy it while it lasts ...yep!

* Philly will be difficult. They are at home and playing very well. If the Pirates can get 2 of 4 and return home 14-8 I'll be happy.split on the road = a good road trip.