Taillon to Yankees for four low level minor leaguers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

So ... with the four major trades that BC has made since he has come aboard, how would you rank the trades based on return. Granted, we have no idea besides rankings and minor league stats and some quotes, but ...

1. Musgrove

2. Marte

3. Taillon

4. Bell

ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Hopefully a few young infielders guys like Bae and Alemais start to produce and we can use them as trade bait in a year or 2.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

636F6E353C353D30372832050 wrote: I may be in the minority, but I like what Ben Cherington has acquired in the 4 major trades he has made since last January. He has added pitching, a catcher, a shortstop and two outfielders who all appear to be talented players. When you add Nick Gonzales and the  pitchers we added in the June draft, I think this will be an exciting team beginning late 2022 and beyond.
I like that he is willing to take the criticism and risk. It remains to be seen if Cherington has the ability to identify real talent and have the staff to develop these players. He's obviously going big and I like the approach but really now the real work begins into developing these prospects into tremendously talented players. We must be able to bring up impact players year after year in order to be truly competitive. Over the last 20 years we might bring up a impact player every 5 years that didn't and won't work for a small market team. We must be able to bring up a real impact player ever year and a couple of good supportive players ever year. A module like that would definitely change the fortunes of the Pirates. We're all in now, just hope we have the people in place who can evaluate real talent and be able to develop that talent.
dave3BA

Post by dave3BA »

I didn't see this article posted yet. Eric Longenhagen is pretty well respected and a former scout himself. He seems pretty optimistic.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/scouting-th ... n-taillon/
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

What struck me about this trade is that three of the players are from Latin America, each regarded with positive qualities. If the info about them is to be believed, they sound like they're better than the prospects the Pirates have signed from that part of the world under the previous regime.

The org's scouting in LA must be abysmal, in spite of the Dominican facility Nutting, Coonelly, and Huntington all gushed about when it was built. They promised they'd mine that region and sign players who would be good additions in Pittsburgh. One more big lie from the lying liars who lied.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Do I sense by the Longenhagen article that there is just a hint of some light at the end of the tunnel? I certainly hope that BC has the people in place to brighten that light through good development.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The last paragraph of the article is encouraging:

The Pirates have now added about 10 good prospects to their system this offseason across several avenues of acquisition (Rule 5 Draft, trades, international signings) and now have 26 prospects in their system who last year I graded as 40+ FV or above. By my current count, only Cleveland (27) has more.

It's nice to get unbiased data on prospects the Bucs acquire since they are mostly at the low level minors and for the most part Pirates fans have never heard of them. Some fans will automatically say BC traded players "for nothing" because "nothing" is what they know about the prospects. As for me, I've never heard of any of the prospects BC has acquired but I sure hope he knows what he's doing. This very course of action he's embarked on seems to be the reason he was brought to the organization. So I'm not going to assume he will fail at obtaining quality prospects just because NH failed before him (and got replaced because of it). It'll be interesting to track the progress of BC's minor league acquisitions in the next couple years. If they fizzle out, then we can hunt down BC with lit torches and pitch forks. And if these young guys prove BC knew what he was doing then we can be encouraged that maybe the Pirates have a chance.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Splitting hairs, but I actually think we were okay at getting talent for the most part but failures and keeping them good or developing them. Either way, yeh it comes down to whether we have the people to do all of that now.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4B7975756153707974717E79180 wrote: Splitting hairs, but I actually think we were okay at getting talent for the most part but failures and keeping them good or developing them.  Either way, yeh it comes down to whether we have the people to do all of that now.
I too am critical of how players were developed. The Bucs never got the most of what Cole or Morton had. And they had no idea how to develop Glasnow. And didn't seem to know what they had in Meadows. It's frustrating to see other teams get out of former Pirates what the Pirates were unable to get.

But outside of the players lost in the disastrous Archer trade, I'm probably forgetting some but I can't think of any failed Pirate prospects (regardless of how they were acquired) who just needed a different organization to blossom. Even Pedro Alvarez--a one trick pony (power if a ball was left over the plate but no other hitting or fielding skills)--continued to fail when given chances with the Orioles and Marlins. So if seems the Pirates have demonstrated both poor recognition of talent when obtaining prospects and poor development of those with the most ability. :(

Of course in fairness, Ke'Bryan Hayes was drafted and developed under the NH regime. So it looks like they got it right with him. And Keller shows promise if he can stop walking almost a batter per inning. But Nick Kingham was supposed to be the next big thing. I wonder if he's speaking Korean now.
PMike

Post by PMike »

0C1C1D2A3C3C305F0 wrote: So ... with the four major trades that BC has made since he has come aboard, how would you rank the trades based on return.  Granted, we have no idea besides rankings and minor league stats and some quotes, but ...

1. Musgrove

2. Marte

3. Taillon

4. Bell

I agree with this. The Bell trade was strange as we can now compare them to the other trades. Crowe was rated pretty high. Maybe he was rushed to the majors making his stock drop. But it seems like they are really hedging their hopes on Yean being a stud. He seems like the highest upside guy they got in any of the trades. Maybe you could make a case for Head.