Official Game Thread - 6/27 - Bucs @ Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

AAA Callup perfect through 5. We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
WiffleballHero

Post by WiffleballHero »

This is probably borderline ridiculous, but I always wondered if Hurdle leaving Kingham in as long as he did in his debut caused any issues with his (short) career.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Give Cherrington the credit for the recent excellent development of Kranik. Right Shed?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7A444B4B41484F4C414165485F422D0 wrote: This is probably borderline ridiculous, but I always wondered if Hurdle leaving Kingham in as long as he did in his debut caused any issues with his (short) career.
I doubt it. Kingham went 7 innings, 98 pitches in his debut which was only 1 more inning and 3 more pitches than his previous start for Indy. I don't think he was physically overworked that day and being dominant thru 7 innings probably gave him confidence that he would not have gotten if he had pitched fewer innings. When a pitcher is dominating but is lifted early, it always begs the question of whether or not he could have continued to dominate or if he would have faltered if he continued to pitch. I remember that game and the Cards were consistently swinging early in the count, often at bad pitches, and getting behind in the count. When I checked the game log, he got a strike or an out on the 1st pitch of 16 of the 22 batters he faced. And many of those strikes were misses on balls out of the strike zone. It wasn't so much great stuff but more the effect of the Cards taking an aggressive approach to the first time rookie and getting themselves into a pitcher's count. 

In subsequent starts, batters made him work, laid off the bad pitches and made him throw more. He never again looked dominant like he did in his debut. I think he benefitted from a poor strategy by the Cards that day. When other teams didn't let him get consistently ahead in the count, it became evident that there was nothing special about him.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6A4B436A41492E0 wrote: Give Cherrington the credit for the recent excellent development of Kranik.  Right Shed?
Taking three out of four IN ST.LOUIS doesn't happen very often.

RAISE IT!
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

07393C34273F3F341431263562500 wrote: Give Cherrington the credit for the recent excellent development of Kranik.  Right Shed?

RAISE IT!
Mitch Keller who?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7A4441495A424249694C5B481F2D0 wrote: Give Cherrington the credit for the recent excellent development of Kranik.  Right Shed?

RAISE IT!

It’s great to beat those guys because they’ve sure beaten the crap out of us over the years.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

142A2F27342C2C270722352671430 wrote: Give Cherrington the credit for the recent excellent development of Kranik.  Right Shed?

RAISE IT!
Mitch Keller who?
Keller has done poorly in 3 appearances with Indy.

I'm not sure what to make of Kranick. His minor league stats above low-A are not very impressive. But he was perfect today thru 5 with stuff that didn't look like it should be dominating. But he pounded the strike zone and stayed ahead of hitters. He's their 26th ranked prospect. Not exactly top 10 (or top 25) but there's potential there. He doesn't have to become an ace but even a legit #3 or#4 would be welcome.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

RTJR!!!! Hello from the Poconos!
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I know that last night's game is now over 12 hours old and that I am a bit late to posting. But hey, this is a message Board about the Bucs, so I thought that I would post away.

Yesterday's game had some really great moments. Kranick's first start that he may never equal again, Hayes unbelievable play at 3rd (thank you Mr. Molina for being the base runner and creating an opportunity for the 'out'come of this play), and the Pirates scoring a bevy of runs, including taking advantage of an opposing pitcher's inability to find the plate.

Nearly equal to all of the above was watching Kranick's extended family in the stands. I do not want to get to sappy here, but watching all of them trying to take a video of every moment, and seeing them jumping up and down and shouting in the sheer joy and excitement of watching their son, brother, cousin, friend or boyfriend live his dream, again reminded me that baseball players are more than a collection of statistics, they and those around them are folks who are hoping that games like today have many more successful chapters.

I am thrilled for the family and for Kranick himself that he provided a memory that they can share for every day going forward. Imagine when Kranick's father or mother can proudly say to Kranick's future son or daughter; let me tell you about the time when we were all sitting in the stands at Busch stadium and your father pitched 5 perfect innings. What a memory.

My wife has no interest in baseball, and as such, I generally refrain from discussing the state of the Bucs with her. But, after watching the 4th inning yesterday (which I didn't see until after 9:00 pm), I made note of the Kranick family and how happy I was that all of them could be there to see his unbelievable performance. She readily understood, and I even replayed a short clip of the game during which they were screaming. Sadly, too often we need to focus on what went wrong and the pain that confronts so many, but during yesterday's game, joy and happiness.

In short, even in the depths of what will again be a losing season for the Pirates, there will be good moments to remember.