Salary Dump Prediction Poll

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Cervelli has to be a guy we consider moving for a good haul.  He's having super career numbers this year and has avoided the DL.   Definitely should sell him.  He was considered of very little trade value coming into the year due to contract and being do fragile. 

Sell into someone looking for current great production and willing to take the chance that he can repeat this and also stay healthy. Cervelli is my choice

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm deleting this, uncalled for sorry
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

So far the predictions for salary dumps are:

kovalwat - Nova, Mercer

quail - Cervilli, Harrison

German Township - Srod, Nova

skinnyhorse - Freese, Nova

notes34 - Cervilli, Freese

SCBucco - Freese, Mercer

ScottinMass - Freese, Nova

Mouse - Freese, Cervillii

Dogknot3 - Harrison, Cervilli

dmetz - Cervilli, ?
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

This is really two different questions.

1) Who do I think are the players who are most likely to be traded?

2) Who should management try to move (to improve the team)?

For example, in looking at the first question, Kontos has already been released, but if he had pitched a bit better through May and didn't tank until June, Kontos likely would have been # 1 on everyone's list.

Also, snapshot polls such as these are nice conversation/posting pieces, but this issue really warrants more in-depth discussion That said, my quick answers to the snapshot polls.

So, my responses to Question # 1: Freese is traded because Kang shows enough value to warrant a return to the majors. Harrison is traded because one or more the minor league infielders, together with Frazier, shows enough potential to make it worth trading Harrison to someone who is willing to offer a bit of talent in return.

So, my responses to Question # 2: I believe a lot depends on what happens over the next 2 - 3 weeks. Do the Bucs continue to tumble or do they right the ship. If they continue to stumble and find themselves 8 games under .500 and 10 games out of the wild card, then they should look at move players who would offer both future salary relief and a return of talent. On that front, Cervelli likely is number 1 (Diaz and Stallings are the replacements), and any number of players could be #2. While I have really liked how Dickerson has played (and conversely, don't like how Polanco has played), Dickerson could be one of the team's best trade chips because he is cheap, he is only signed for this year, and he is playing well. Meadows and Luplow could form a good replacement duo for Dickerson.

Continuing, if the Bucs continue to tank, I believe the Bucs should continue to look at the strategy many advocated this off-season; the Bucs should trade assets that return talent and build for the future. I believe the Bucs have any number of players who other teams could find valuable, while still keeping a good core of players in Pittsburgh.

1 - Cervelli. Capitalize on his decent health and much better hitting. Trade high.

2 - Harrison. Harrison has an slugging percentage of less than .700 and only 2 HR. He is earning $10 mil/year and has 2 similar options. He could be attractive to a team who likes his versatility. He likely won't return a lot, but the team should have some younger players who can step in.

3 - Freese. He won't bring much, but he is a redundancy with Osuna as a RH option for first and Kang (hopegully) a RH option for 3rd.

4 - Polanco. Hopefully he flashes some better play which could encourage someone to take a chance on his potential. He is still inexpensive even though he is signed to a longer term deal

5 - Nova. Nothing more than a salary dump. Get anything possible in return. Someone may want him to fill a back end of the rotation spot.

6 - Dickerson. As stated above, Dickerson could be a valuable trade piece.

7 - Mercer. If the season is essentially over, the Bucs would be doing Mercer a favor to try and move him to a winner for his last year in Pittsburgh. Mercer is an okay player, but is not someone who the Bucs should commit a multi-year deal to.

I assume that the Bucs, because they would then be fully committed to a rebuild, would hold on to all of the younger starters. With Vasquez/Rivero now in a tank, I also have assumed that none of their relievers (most of whom, like the starters, are younger) would have any real return value. I have viewed Marte as a centerpiece of the team moving forward, as well as younger players such as Morin, Frazier and the infielders at AA and AAA. Bell likely needs one more year to see if he can hit, Diaz is the main replacement for Cervelli, and I have assumed that Rodriguez has no value.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

kovalwat - Nova, Mercer

SCBucco - Freese, Mercer

dmetz - Cervilli, ?

MaineBucs - Freese, Harrison (I think)
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Mercer, Freese
BenM

Post by BenM »

Based on how tight the free agent market was this spring, is a salary dump possible any more? Mike Moustakas only managed to get a $6.5 million one year deal with a mutual option for $15 million next year.

What team is going to pick up Cervelli (10 million this year and the next), who has a concussion history and will probably regress to his mean at some point?

Or Harrison, who has to show what his bat is at after breaking his left hand twice in the last year and is owed twenty million in 2019-2020.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

kovalwat - Nova, Mercer

SCBucco - Freese, Mercer

dmetz - Cervilli, ?

MaineBucs - Freese, Harrison (I think)

wvbucco - Mercer, Freese
RichD

Post by RichD »

Cervelli- catchers who can hit have nice value and we have Diaz waiting.

Marte- Gives Meadows an opening , reduces team salary today and down the road.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

kovalwat - Nova, Mercer

SCBucco - Freese, Mercer