Cherington says Pirates will spend when the time is right.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I think the GM gets asked about payroll because he is a spokesman for the organization and Nutting is seldom seen and can't be asked. Same with NH. They don't control the purse strings but they speak for the organization. So when NH and BC say they will spend when the time is right they are voicing a team policy that all fans know is dishonest as was proven during the previous regime. I suppose a better answer to questions about payroll directed to the GM would be to say he has no control over that and will have to work within the budget he's given. But that would be a PR problem for a business intent on instilling even a modest degree of hope to sell tickets. It seems to be part of the GM's job description to serve as a buffer between the media and the owner and therefore to address such questions rather than defer. I suspect if they weren't willing to do that they wouldn't get the job. So they take heat for it. I don't blame the GM. But I react negatively when I hear the GM saying things we know to be untrue to cover for his boss.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6F392F3B342E3E35382F1D3A303C3431733E5D0 wrote: Never understand why the media keeps asking this question to the GM and president. 

Ask Nutting.   Drive up the mountain, walk over the drawbridge, past the guard dogs, climb the stairs of his castle keep,  and ask him.

Ask him if he plans to push payroll into the top half of the league to make a run, when the time is right.    Don't use chicken$hit words like "increase". 

The GM doesn't control the spending.   

We already know what he'll say.  It goes something like this:  "In our ongoing analyses of our current situation, and that of our future here in this market and within the framework of Major League Baseball as a whole, we've conducted, and will continue to construct, various scenarios that will lead us to make that determination based on the data we compile that will provide us with the information necessary so that when that time makes sense to us as an organization, and after careful study of that data, we'll continue to work to attain the conclusion that will achieve the best results for us as a franchise as it pertains to the overall immediate outlook of the other 14 teams in the National League at that time."   
Casey Stengel couldn't have said it better. :)
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

765B56474051460605340 wrote: Never understand why the media keeps asking this question to the GM and president. 

Ask Nutting.   Drive up the mountain, walk over the drawbridge, past the guard dogs, climb the stairs of his castle keep,  and ask him.

Ask him if he plans to push payroll into the top half of the league to make a run, when the time is right.    Don't use chicken$hit words like "increase". 

We already know what he'll say.  It goes something like this:  "In our ongoing analyses of our current situation, and that of our future here in this market and within the framework of Major League Baseball as a whole, we've conducted, and will continue to construct, various scenarios that will lead us to make that determination based on the data we compile that will provide us with the information necessary so that when that time makes sense to us as an organization, and after careful study of that data, we'll continue to work to attain the conclusion that will achieve the best results for us as a franchise as it pertains to the overall immediate outlook of the other 14 teams in the National League at that time."   

:0))))))))))))))
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7F525F4E49584F0F0C3D0 wrote: Never understand why the media keeps asking this question to the GM and president. 

The Ol' Perfesser.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Wonder what Yogi would have to say about that?
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

742234202F35252E233406212B272F2A6825460 wrote: Never understand why the media keeps asking this question to the GM and president. 

That was Brilliant!!
shedman

Post by shedman »

132D2820332B2B2000253221440 wrote: Pirates will spend when the time is right. Can't believe Shedman hasn't jumped all over this. I see doc didn't waste any time. Neither did Javy
---

Sorry Wildwood, but I am in Florida right now playing golf. The problem with "spending when the time is right" is that the time is never right.
Javy

Post by Javy »

756E63626B6768060 wrote: Pirates will spend when the time is right. Can't believe Shedman hasn't jumped all over this. I see doc didn't waste any time. Neither did Javy
---

Sorry Wildwood, but I am in Florida right now playing golf.  The problem with "spending when the time is right" is that the time is never right.
The time when the revenue sharing check comes in is when it is time to spend...on things like ski lift improvements, Christmas gifts for the family, down payments on fly fishing trips, some bonuses to his management team, and the rest goes in to the vault at the First National Bank of Wheeling.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

The rest goes into the vault at the First National Bank of Wheeling. Now your talking like the Javy I know
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

Sorry Wildwood, I'm in Florida right now. The time is never right. Now your cookin!!