More Bucs Trivia . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by DemDog »

142335251037383F381117560 wrote: Possum, are  you talking about the two Smiths, both Hal Smith.

They were both catchers. Not related though.

Hal Smith from Baring, Ark catcher in 1965

Hal Smith from West Franfort, IL catcher/3B with Bucs from 1960-61 before going to the Houston Colt 45's and then the Cinny Redlegs 8-)

I'm stumped after that! Dying to know the answer :D

Nope, but Bobster got it right in a PM. I will tell you all tomorrow. And have a related trivia question involving the answer.
DemDog

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by DemDog »

04372B2A2921172A312D3631202C2B450 wrote:

Foli, Rose and 4 others led the NL in HBP in 1980 but it wasn't an NL record. So I guess that's not the answer. 

You got it Babe. They all led the league in fewest HBPs in a season.

I'll guess it was the fewest HBPs to be a league-leading number.

DemDog

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by DemDog »

58797158737B1C0 wrote: Possum, are  you talking about the two Smiths, both Hal Smith.

They were both catchers. Not related though.

Hal Smith from Baring, Ark catcher in 1965

Hal Smith from West Franfort, IL catcher/3B with Bucs from 1960-61 before going to the Houston Colt 45's and then the Cinny Redlegs 8-)

I'm stumped after that! Dying to know the answer :D

Nope, but Bobster got it right in a PM.  I will tell you all tomorrow.  And have a related trivia question involving the answer.

They were Diomedes Olivo who had a cup of coffee in 1960 and then a full season in 1962 and then being traded to the Cards in the Dick Groat deal that offseason. His brother was Chi Chi Olivo who pitched for the Braves in 1961 and then 1964-1966.
DemDog

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by DemDog »

Another question involving Olivo. In 1961 he debuted at age Age 41-227d. He was the second oldest player to debut in the Major Leagues. Can you tell us who the oldest player was and his debut age?
Bobster21

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

72535B725951360 wrote: Another question involving Olivo.  In 1961 he debuted at age Age 41-227d.  He was the second oldest player to debut in the Major Leagues.  Can you tell us who the oldest player was and his debut age?
The funny thing about Olivo, as I noted in my book, was that no one was really sure just exactly how old he was. His given birth date was highly questionable. He was accepted as 41 at his MLB debut in 1960 but it's quite possible he was even older. He had been a superstar pitcher in the Mexican and Dominican leagues. 1960 was his first season in American professional baseball. He owned a ranch and said he only wanted to pitch in MLB until he made enough money to buy more cattle. He spent the season in AAA until the Pirates called him up in September. But he pitched very well that month and was a mainstay of the bullpen in 1962 at age 43 (or whatever.) He even started the final game of that season.
BucsFaninGA

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Satchel Paige of the Cleveland Indians at 42 years old
DemDog

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by DemDog »

655244546146494E496066270 wrote: Satchel Paige of the Cleveland Indians at 42 years old

You got that one quickly. It was kinda easy as Satchel is well known in baseball lore.

That's all for now. See you on Monday with another one.
DemDog

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by DemDog »

A real quickie and it is just as much music-oriented as it is Bucs baseball oriented.

In 1962 there was a song that made the top of the hit charts for a pianist with a strange name (that's because he was Danish). The song title in a way foretold the trade of Dick Groat from the Bucs after that season and pushed for his eventual replacement in 1963.

Can you name the musician, the song and the player the song title mentions? No credit if you just get the player's name.

Good luck guys!
DemDog

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by DemDog »

Here goes, a baseball-only trivia question about a member of the '60 Bucs.

Who holds the N.L. record for most walks in a shutout. He did not do it as a Buc. Give me his name and the # or Ks.
BenM

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by BenM »

6C4D456C474F280 wrote: Here goes, a baseball-only trivia question about a member of the '60 Bucs.

Who holds the N.L. record for most walks in a shutout.  He did not do it as a Buc.  Give me his name and the # or Ks.

Wait, there's someone with more walks the Doc Ellis' eight? (And three HBP.)