Now I have to learn to pronounce Adeiny Hechavarria

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1909083F2929254A0 wrote: I think this means one or two of either Newman, Kramer or Cole Tucker are PTBNL’s

I had a feeling prior to this deal that one of the Kevin's was the PTBNL.
That would be disappointing since they already gave up Meadows and Glasnow. I'm thinking Clay Holmes since he might have been the more logical choice to recall than Sandler but was kept in the minors. A PTBNL can't be on the MLB roster between the time the trade is announced and when it is completed. And Echevarria is a rental since he's a FA at the end of the season. Not a replacement for Newman, Kramer or Tucker.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

624F42535445521211200 wrote: I think this means one or two of either Newman, Kramer or Cole Tucker are PTBNL’s

I had a feeling prior to this deal that one of the Kevin's was the PTBNL.
That would be disappointing since they already gave up Meadows and Glasnow. I'm thinking Clay Holmes since he might have been the more logical choice to recall than Sandler but was kept in the minors. A PTBNL can't be on the MLB roster between the time the trade is announced and when it is completed. And Echevarria is a rental since he's a FA at the end of the season. Not a replacement for Newman, Kramer or Tucker.

might be a good guy to keep around though
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I really like this pickup. I mean, really like it. I've always thought Hechavaria was a bit underrated, and that he was decent when he was with the Marlins. I wouldn't necessarily start him over Mercer, as I think Mercer brings more with the bat. But, on days when they both start, for the life of me, I don't understand why you wouldn't move Mercer to second and put Hech at short. Just because Jordy is your starter? Fine. But that ignores the fact that short is the harder, more important, defensive position to play and Hechavaria is one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball. When he plays, he should be at short. Mercer moves to second, Harrison to third. Mercer played some second when he first came up. Harrison has played third before.
dave3BA

Post by dave3BA »

4B4340776144636C020 wrote: I really like this pickup. I mean, really like it. I've always thought Hechavaria was a bit underrated, and that he was decent when he was with the Marlins. I wouldn't necessarily start him over Mercer, as I think Mercer brings more with the bat. But, on days when they both start, for the life of me, I don't understand why you wouldn't move Mercer to second and put Hech at short. Just because Jordy is your starter? Fine. But that ignores the fact that short is the harder, more important, defensive position to play and Hechavaria is one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball. When he plays, he should be at short. Mercer moves to second, Harrison to third. Mercer played some second when he first came up. Harrison has played third before.

I would guess that's the plan later in the season. I'm wondering if they'd want Mercer to get some practice reps at 2nd to refresh himself on things like double-plays and shifts first, though.