Game Thread - September 5 - Reds vs Bucs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Awful AB by Polanco in bottom of 7th .

He just doesn`t care . I cant watch anymore.

Well , I guess i will watch next inning to see Bell strike out . :-/
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

3 hr in one night for Suarez. [smiley=beer.gif]

Pirates cant 3 from any player in a week.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

694449585F4E59191A2B0 wrote: Alford fractured his right elbow when he hit the wall earlier in tonight’s game.
Crap! So it looked like the Pirates got lucky with 2 castoffs--Evans and Alford--and both suffer bad injuries.

I agree with you I thought the Bucs did get lucky on a couple of castoffs. Hopefully they both perform well in ST 2021.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

So frustrating to watch Pirates hitters fail time and time again. 2 men on no one out and Moran bounces into double play. Bases loaded 2 outs and Frazier strikes out. Reynolds comes up with the bases loaded and strikes out. Over and over and over and over and nothing but failure. I don't know what to think about what's going on here. We're well over 30 games into the season and I see absolutely nothing from our hitters. It's amazing that you could still have 3 or 4 hitters in the line up batting well below .200. Something is really wrong here, these players have had success before how can they all just crash and burn at the same time. Something is really wrong with this organization. It's time to blow this thing up and start all over, but I'm not sure the manager, the coaching staff are up to major league baseball. I think they could take a team full of Mike Trouts and make them into .185 hitters.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7A575A4B4C5D4A0A09380 wrote: It only took 2 innings for Bell's throwing issues to be on display. Too bad he can't DH. Oh, wait......

Bell is a butcher at 1st. Still not Alvarez butcher (3B), but I'd almost go Moran at 1st, Hayes at 3B and Bell DH the rest fo the year. Make him practice being a DH when he gets dealt to the AL and no one plays him at 1B.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1C0C0D3A2C2C204F0 wrote: It only took 2 innings for Bell's throwing issues to be on display. Too bad he can't DH. Oh, wait......

Bell is a butcher at 1st.  Still not Alvarez butcher (3B), but I'd almost go Moran at 1st, Hayes at 3B and Bell DH the rest fo the year.  Make him practice being a DH when he gets dealt to the AL and no one plays him at 1B.

And it's not as if they can't afford to keep Bell's bat out of the lineup. He's as much a liability on offense as on defense. He needs serious work on his swing. His arms look stiff and he pulls the bat thru the zone very rigidly. It's all brute power but there's no smoothness to the swing and it just isn't conducive to hitting. If he connects he can hit the ball a long way. But he rarely connects. Here's a guy trying to power the ball over the fence on every swing and he's managed just 4 HRs in 129 ABs with 43 Ks (exactly a third) because the chances of him making good contact are remote. In a 500 AB season that would be about 15 HRs. And it's costing him the ability to hit anything with any consistency as his BA of .194 demonstrates. A couple games ago he took one beautiful swing, smooth thru the zone, arms extended. It's the only time I can remember him doing that this season. A kid practicing with a batting tee could develop a better swing than Bell. It's painful to watch. But not as painful as his defense.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Has there been any word on who is getting called up to replace Alford?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7A575A4B4C5D4A0A09380 wrote: It only took 2 innings for Bell's throwing issues to be on display. Too bad he can't DH. Oh, wait......

Bell is a butcher at 1st.  Still not Alvarez butcher (3B), but I'd almost go Moran at 1st, Hayes at 3B and Bell DH the rest fo the year.  Make him practice being a DH when he gets dealt to the AL and no one plays him at 1B.

And it's not as if they can't afford to keep Bell's bat out of the lineup. He's as much a liability on offense as on defense. He needs serious work on his swing. His arms look stiff and he pulls the bat thru the zone very rigidly. It's all brute power but there's no smoothness to the swing and it just isn't conducive to hitting. If he connects he can hit the ball a long way. But he rarely connects. Here's a guy trying to power the ball over the fence on every swing and he's managed just 4 HRs in 129 ABs with 43 Ks (exactly a third) because the chances of him making good contact are remote. In a 500 AB season that would be about 15 HRs. And it's costing him the ability to hit anything with any consistency as his BA of .194 demonstrates. A couple games ago he took one beautiful swing, smooth thru the zone, arms extended. It's the only time I can remember him doing that this season. A kid practicing with a batting tee could develop a better swing than Bell. It's painful to watch. But not as painful as his defense. 

I think Bell has to play unless the Pirate evaluators have decided he is not coming back next year.
MJohnson

Post by MJohnson »

173A37262130276764550 wrote: It only took 2 innings for Bell's throwing issues to be on display. Too bad he can't DH. Oh, wait......

This season his strikeout per AB is about 50% higher than at any time in his career. This is a significant change, what are they working on?
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

61664344425F43422C0 wrote: It only took 2 innings for Bell's throwing issues to be on display. Too bad he can't DH. Oh, wait......
I guess that stretch before the ALL Star Game in 2019 was just a mirage

This season his strikeout per AB is about 50% higher than at any time in his career.  This is a significant change, what are they working on?