Rule 5 Draft Will Present Difficult Choices for Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Peters over Howard or Banda.

Overton over Underwood.

I think we need to find a way to keep Diego Castillo, we'll lose him, he's close to ready. Not sure we should keep both Park and Tucker, so Park goes to keep Castillo.

Sign Gamel and Tsutsugo. DH is coming and Tsutsugo sure fits there.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5B767B6A6D7C6B2B28190 wrote: Why not package 2 or 3 of those suspects and trade for 1 major league ball player?
That's possible but you can't get much of a player in exchange for several guys with little or no value. 

Gotta make wise use of the organizational depth.

I agree with the idea to package some players together. There is a limitless combination available to Ben to reach out to many different teams. The key is adding someone or two with real value because Ben needs to be looking for specific upgrades for the major league team: would adding Mitch Keller and one of our quality middle infielders for a #3 type starter be reasonable? What would it take to move up to a #2 starter?

I think 3 quality starters need to be added by the start of the 2023 season. At least one will have to be a FA I would think. 2023 the Pirates need to put a winner on the field with a chance of sniffing a WC.
rucker59@gmail.com

103631242D21362028430 wrote: I was starting to make my own 40 man list, but the question I have (I'm sure the answer is out there in 5-10 minutes of researching, but hey, why not just ask?) is who will actually be eligible to be in the Rule 5 draft?

Some of the names I saw that should be protected, I don't think have to be yet.

Some names that could go, and wouldn't be missed because an exact replication of performance is waiting on a DFA list coming to a city near you:

Brubaker

Cahill

Crowe

De Jong

E. De Los Santos

Howard

M. Keller

K. Keller

Kranick

Mears

Miller

Oviedo

Ponce

Soriano

Underwood

T. Davis

Perez

Newman

Park

Tucker

Evans

Oliva

I know I just chopped off more than half of the 40 man, and 3 guys I'd love them to keep, Tsutsugo/Shreve/Difo, could end up singing elsewhere. I would keep Moran, Kuhl, and Brault.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the 40 man heading to ST is 15-25 different names than today.

Really Good post on a great thread (thanks Syrbucco).

Your point is really important and I agree: a significant part of the roster can be replaced in BC’s sleep. On your list I’d keep Brubakker and Mitch Keller for 2022 or to package in a trade.

I’d also keep Soriano (his potential is worth taking a chance on; the Pirates have the time to let him heal and he could work through the system quickly) and I would retain Oviedo. Lastly, and probably not a popular choice on OBN, I’d keep Newman.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

163B36272031266665540 wrote: I was starting to make my own 40 man list, but the question I have (I'm sure the answer is out there in 5-10 minutes of researching, but hey, why not just ask?) is who will actually be eligible to be in the Rule 5 draft?

Some of the names I saw that should be protected, I don't think have to be yet.

Some names that could go, and wouldn't be missed because an exact replication of performance is waiting on a DFA list coming to a city near you:

Brubaker

Cahill

Crowe

De Jong

E. De Los Santos

Howard

M. Keller

K. Keller

Kranick

Mears

Miller

Oviedo

Ponce

Soriano

Underwood

T. Davis

Perez

Newman

Park

Tucker

Evans

Oliva

I know I just chopped off more than half of the 40 man, and 3 guys I'd love them to keep, Tsutsugo/Shreve/Difo, could end up singing elsewhere. I would keep Moran, Kuhl, and Brault.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the 40 man heading to ST is 15-25 different names than today.
I fully expect that to be the case. [highlight]This year most of the legit prospects were in AA and A. Most of the players brought up from AAA are placeholders who wouldn't be missed.[/highlight] They have a lot of prospects who need to be added to the 40 to protect them from the rule 5 draft and there are probably more than half who are currently on the 40 who wouldn't be missed. 

This is what I believe as well. Aside from Reynolds and Hayes, there are no other position players who will be here in two years. Once the young talent begins to arrive next year, and especially in 2023, we'll all have trouble recalling this year's players. That's why no one should be upset or angry by this season's results.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7C676A6B626E610F0 wrote: Why not package 2 or 3 of those suspects and trade for 1 major league ball player?

Because five or six of any of those position players, excluding Reynolds and Hayes, packaged together wouldn't return a useable major league player.
rucker59@gmail.com

386E786C637969626F784A6D676B636624690A0 wrote: Why not package 2 or 3 of those suspects and trade for 1 major league ball player?

Because five or six of any of those position players, excluding Reynolds and Hayes, packaged together wouldn't return a useable major league player.

The more I think about it, I think Surgenbuck’s post above is mostly correct: I’d crave a few players off of his list but the bulk of his list is of zero value in a trade. My original thought was to package a trade. But after seeing the list, why would any GM assign any trade value? They wouldn’t.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5D5A4C444A5D1A166F48424E4643014C40422F0 wrote: Why not package 2 or 3 of those suspects and trade for 1 major league ball player?

The more I think about it, I think Surgenbuck’s post above is mostly correct: I’d crave a few players off of his list but the bulk of his list is of zero value in a trade.  My original thought  was to package a trade.  But after seeing the list, why would any GM assign any trade value?  They wouldn’t.
Exactly. I doubt there is any GM thinking "let me have a bunch of those guys you want to get rid of so that I can have them take up space on my roster and I will give you a usable major league player that will improve your team." Maybe if Dave Littlefield or Neal Huntington were still GMs....
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

We're in last place for reasons. That's a list of some of the reasons.
shedman

Post by shedman »

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote: Why not package 2 or 3 of those suspects and trade for 1 major league ball player?
That's possible but you can't get much of a player in exchange for several guys with little or no value. 
___

The Pirates give away major league ball players for players of little or no value! There must be some other team out there that will do the same thing.
shedman

Post by shedman »

174157434C56464D4057654248444C490B46250 wrote: Why not package 2 or 3 of those suspects and trade for 1 major league ball player?

______

The way that the pirates got many of those players was by trading a major league ball players for them. There must be some other team which is willing to do the same.