Taillon to Yankees for four low level minor leaguers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

Another guy who I would have love to seen reach his full potential in Pittsburgh. But with 2 TJ's already, the odds are against him in general. And, with just two years left in Pittsburgh, this is a pretty good return.

Here's a site with write-ups on all of the guys we got. They rate the IF, Escotto, as the Yanks #9. Pretty good for a guy who has only played in the DSL. He didn't make mlb.com's top 30. RHSP Yajure is #14, made his MLB debut last year, and will either be in or be AAA depth for the rotation this year. The OFer, Smith, is at #17. I like what I've read about him. And RHSP Contreras is at #19. Low-A and High-A are going to be loaded.

https://www.prospects1500.com/al-east/y ... prospects/
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0A1733313F5A0 wrote: It seems as if BC is going for super young kids (very few college) that are early in their development and haven’t had a chance to really break out.  All of them seem to have more upside than the characters NH traded for.  Again, we are going to find out if they can develop talent.
Agreed. it's easy to say they didn't get much for Taillon but we really don't know how these young guys will turn out. Ditto for the guys acquired in the Bell and Musgrove deals. We can only hope that BC is a much better judge of talent when he makes these trades than NH was.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Troy Strokes, Jr., designated for assignment to clear the needed 40-man space.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

7D485F5F546D5F5F54535F3A0 wrote: So, how much "see what he has time" does he get now?

He has seen what they had. He's gotten rid of most of it. At the concrete balloon pace most of NH's picks moved up the chain, it would appear that a fire has effectively been lit under any guys in AA or AAA from the previous regime. No better way than to get them looking over their shoulders.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

133532272E2235232B400 wrote: So, how much "see what he has time" does he get now?

He has seen what they had. He's gotten rid of most of it. At the concrete balloon pace most of NH's picks moved up the chain, it would appear that a fire has effectively been lit under any guys in AA or AAA from the previous regime. No better way than to get them looking over their shoulders.

if you can't figure out a way to win in a couple years, blow it up and expect to win in four years with different players. Maybe Reynolds and Hayes will still be with the team then.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

I hope they now pick up a few Julio Teheran types so they can A) field a few major leaguers and B) maybe get lucky and one or two of those players have a bounce-back season and they can then flip them for more prospects at the deadline.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

The Canaan and Head outfielders look real nice . Those 2 and Jack Herman ( my pick to click) should all be playing in A+ next season. I like it.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Pirates GM Cherington says "we'll definitley keep the phone on" for more trades, but "will likely shift our energy back toward adding to the team."

Cherington said adding a veteran SP is priority.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7478717C6B376D7074766D71602B29597E74190 wrote: I hope they now pick up a few Julio Teheran types so they can A) field a few major leaguers and B) maybe get lucky and one or two of those players have a bounce-back season and they can then flip them for more prospects at the deadline.

Collin McHugh and Taijuan Walker please. I know they won't make us competitive, but at least ...
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I may be in the minority, but I like what Ben Cherington has acquired in the 4 major trades he has made since last January. He has added pitching, a catcher, a shortstop and two outfielders who all appear to be talented players. When you add Nick Gonzales and the pitchers we added in the June draft, I think this will be an exciting team beginning late 2022 and beyond.