Pirates OPS: .725

NL avg: .721

Pirates home runs: 157

NL avg: 179

Pirates total bases: 2,218

NL avg: 2,221

Pirates slug: .407

NL avg: .403

Decision to fire coaches may have been based on individual player cases.
SCBucco

Hitting coach Jeff Branson fired

Post by SCBucco »

695B57574371525B56535C5B3A0 wrote: Interesting.  Numbers speak to the Historical Averageness of the team:

Rob Biertempfel

Pirates team batting average this year: .254

NL average: .247

Maybe based on individual player cases. However, there was no consistency throughout the entire year. During that one stretch - July-August, they were putting up serious runs; hitting well and then a serious dip for an extended period. This is a byproduct of streaky type hitters. Marte is one; Polanco is one; Bell was one this year. The only good consistent hitter we had was Dickerson. Cervelli wasn't bad; Frazier was solid upon his return and surprising Moran didn't have the mood swings in this average.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1A0A0B3C2A2A26490 wrote: Interesting.  Numbers speak to the Historical Averageness of the team:

Rob Biertempfel

Pirates team batting average this year: .254

NL average: .247

Maybe based on individual player cases.  However, there was no consistency throughout the entire year.  During that one stretch - July-August, they were putting up serious runs; hitting well and then a serious dip for an extended period.  This is a byproduct of streaky type hitters.  Marte is one; Polanco is one; Bell was one this year.  The only good consistent hitter we had was Dickerson.  Cervelli wasn't bad; Frazier was solid upon his return and surprising Moran didn't have the mood swings in this average.

Yeah, an average team that never seemed average the entire year--either great or putrid.  But looking at just those numbers, the one that sticks out in a bad way is home runs, which points to the corner OFers (Bell in particular) if I were to guess where this is coming from.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

I approve of this message.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

IMHO, the tipping point was the lack of power from Bell and Moran. Bell was expected to build on his 2017 season of 26 HRs. But he was his own worst enemy with a constantly changing swing that often eliminated any chance of driving the ball. At other times his swing looked good and he hit 12 HRs and drove some to the wall. Hurdle had said they were always working with Bell to to get a consistent swing. Apparently, they felt the batting coaches were unable to get thru to him.

Moran was obtained for 3B in the Cole trade on the heels of his 2017 season when he developed a power stroke with 18 HRs in 302 ABs in AAA. I don't think they would have wanted him if they thought that was a fluke and that he would hit 11 HRs in 415 ABs as a Pirate. Otherwise, Bell had the 2nd best OBP on the team and Moran hit a respectable .277 as a rookie. That's not bad but they were envisioned as corner infielders who would supply HR power. I think NH feels the ability is there (since he made the trade for Moran and doesn't want to think it was a mistake) but needs other coaches to bring it out.

On a side note, there was a plus side to Moran's lack of HRs: we were spared more of Greg Brown's bizarre Irish accent "Don't ya know" that he inflicts upon us when Moran homers. Unfortunately the Pirates were 3rd in the NL in triples which resulted in way more "trip, trip, triple"s than I could stand to hear.   :)   
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

153835242332256566570 wrote: IMHO, the tipping point was the lack of power from Bell and Moran. Bell was expected to build on his 2017 season of 26 HRs. But he was his own worst enemy with a constantly changing swing that often eliminated any chance of driving the ball. At other times his swing looked good and he hit 12 HRs and drove some to the wall. Hurdle had said they were always working with Bell to to get a consistent swing. Apparently, they felt the batting coaches were unable to get thru to him.

Moran was obtained for 3B in the Cole trade on the heels of his 2017 season when he developed a power stroke with 18 HRs in 302 ABs in AAA. I don't think they would have wanted him if they thought that was a fluke and that he would hit 11 HRs in 415 ABs as a Pirate. Otherwise, Bell had the 2nd best OBP on the team and Moran hit a respectable .277 as a rookie. That's not bad but they were envisioned as corner infielders who would supply HR power. I think NH feels the ability is there (since he made the trade for Moran and doesn't want to think it was a mistake) but needs other coaches to bring it out.

On a side note, there was a plus side to Moran's lack of HRs: we were spared more of Greg Brown's bizarre Irish accent "Don't ya know" that he inflicts upon us when Moran homers. Unfortunately the Pirates were 3rd in the NL in triples which resulted in way more "trip, trip, triple"s than I could stand to hear.   :)   

bat wise, absent the power, I was surprised with Moran from an average standpoint. .277 in 415 at bats in first full season ins't bad.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

I am not a huge fan of Colin Moran, however, this comparison made me stop and think. Check out the first year stats of the NL’s top third basemen: Eugenio Suarez, Nolan Arenado, and Matt Carpenter:

Age AB 2b HR Ave OPS

Suarez 23 372 19 13 .280 .761

Arenado 22 486 29 10 .267 .706

Carpenter 26 296 22 6 .294 .828

Moran 25 415 19 11 .277 .747

I could not imagine that Moran will ever be as good as the three players listed before him. But the stats show, none of the three were hatched as all-stars. They incrementally improved until they all became great players. I don’t know if Moran will ever get to all-star level, but the numbers above should at least tell us to have some patience with his bat.

Unfortunately, I don’t imagine Moran’s defensive stats will compare with Brooks Robinson’s or Craig Nettles’ rookie year results. :-/

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5255796E781B0 wrote: I am not a huge fan of Colin Moran, however, this comparison made me stop and think.  Check out the first year stats of the NL’s top third basemen:  Eugenio Suarez, Nolan Arenado, and Matt Carpenter:

Age   AB     2b   HR    Ave    OPS

Suarez           23     372    19   13   .280   .761

Arenado         22     486    29   10   .267   .706

Carpenter       26     296    22    6    .294   .828

Moran            25     415    19   11    .277   .747

I could not imagine that Moran will ever be as good as the three players listed before him.  But the stats show, none of the three were hatched as all-stars.   They incrementally improved until they all became great players.   I don’t know if Moran will ever get to all-star level, but the numbers above should at least tell us to have some patience with his bat.

Unfortunately,  I don’t imagine Moran’s defensive stats will compare with Brooks Robinson’s or Craig Nettles’ rookie year results.    :-/

Moran compares to Brooks now defensively, as in the current Brooks.