DemDog

Cubs put Bryant, among others, on trade block

Post by DemDog »

3D3F252335500 wrote: :) Thank you.

Just a :) Thank you and no [smiley=beer.gif]
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

So, Luplow, the Lithuanian, Feliz and Nova for Bryant?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7A6A6B5C4A4A46290 wrote: So, Luplow, the Lithuanian, Feliz and Nova for Bryant?
:D :D :D

I can just see the Cubs salivating over that deal. But if Dave Littlefield was running the Cubs, that deal would definitely be made! ;)
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

7F5E567F545C3B0 wrote:

You know PMike you make a good point and I am moving that way with you.  What we saw from Newman this season is a small sample.  He may cut it in 2019 but he has Cole Tucker who is lighting up the AFL now and should be ready by 2020 to take over as the regular and then where does Newman go?  As for signing Hechevarria, I like that idea.  He is not really bad with the bat just not top flite by any means.  But his glove is top notch and he can move around the infield as a UT guy.  The kinds of guyss TBMTIB would sign for SS in 2019 would not be better than Newman.  The money, what little of it there will be, needs to be used to fill some other spots that we all know that exist.

Cole Tucker isn't lighting up the AFL, he's getting on base, which is great. But he's slugging and abysmal .429. Longenhans was asked about him in his chat and noted that he's been just pounding the ball into the ground. He needs to make some changes to his swing to make it to the majors.

Newman was also completely over matched at the MLB level. Neither of these guys should be sniffing the starting SS job. I'd rather they just resigned Mercer then expect either of them to to be a starter anytime soon.

Obviously they aren't signing Machado, so they might as well sign a competent glove to hold the position, keep crossing their fingers on Tucker taking another step forward, and focus on RF for the 2019 offensive upgrade. For one, Polanco can't be counted on in 2019, Dickerson could walk after this year, so maybe you sign Pollock to a multi year deal?

You have no choice but to count on Bell bouncing back, Moran and Kang can provide passable production from third, with some upside, and Frazier and Reyes can fight for at bats at second base.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

526F717C73797250786F7E78791D0 wrote:

You know PMike you make a good point and I am moving that way with you.  What we saw from Newman this season is a small sample.  He may cut it in 2019 but he has Cole Tucker who is lighting up the AFL now and should be ready by 2020 to take over as the regular and then where does Newman go?  As for signing Hechevarria, I like that idea.  He is not really bad with the bat just not top flite by any means.  But his glove is top notch and he can move around the infield as a UT guy.  The kinds of guyss TBMTIB would sign for SS in 2019 would not be better than Newman.  The money, what little of it there will be, needs to be used to fill some other spots that we all know that exist.

Cole Tucker isn't lighting up the AFL, he's getting on base, which is great. But he's slugging and abysmal .429. Longenhans was asked about him in his chat and noted that he's been just pounding the ball into the ground. He needs to make some changes to his swing to make it to the majors.

Newman was also completely over matched at the MLB level. Neither of these guys should be sniffing the starting SS job. I'd rather they just resigned Mercer then expect either of them to to be a starter anytime soon.

Obviously they aren't signing Machado, so they might as well sign a competent glove to hold the position, keep crossing their fingers on Tucker taking another step forward, and focus on RF for the 2019 offensive upgrade. For one, Polanco can't be counted on in 2019, Dickerson could walk after this year, so maybe you sign Pollock to a multi year deal?

You have no choice but to count on Bell bouncing back, Moran and Kang can provide passable production from third, with some upside, and Frazier and Reyes can fight for at bats at second base.

You make good but I think Tucker can make some adjustments in AAA this year. With his speed, I don't really care if he only hits 10 or so HRs. It all comes down to money in my opinion. TBMTIB will not spend enough to upgrade SS or any other position. Remember what NH said when the made the deadline deals for Archer and Kela, these trades were made with 2019 and beyond in mind. So I doubt they spend much in FA for anything of quality.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

4C616C7D7A6B7C3C3F0E0 wrote: So, Luplow, the Lithuanian, Feliz and Nova for Bryant?
:D :D :D

I can just see the Cubs salivating over that deal. But if Dave Littlefield was running the Cubs, that deal would definitely be made!  ;)

OK, I will add Brault too for good measure to make sure this is a good deal. :)
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Would think they would move Oneil Cruz along at a quicker pace. No point in leaving him to rot in the minors for 3 more years...