Liriano or Nova?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Tintin

Liriano or Nova?

Post by Tintin »

4B40484441405B1E186F564E474040014C402F0 wrote: Lol what a ridiculous choice.   As if these two pitchers have anything to do with one another.

I'd love to have Liriano in the rotation WITH nova in 2017.

If we traded Hutchison for Liriano & Reese McGuire today, people would be writing NH in for President.

Didn't Nova replace Liriano? 

And No, I wouldn't do that trade.  I don't want Liriano back at $13.6 million a year.

I agree that dude was terrible, had body language and didn't seem to care.

He might return to form, but he burned the bridge in this situation.
dmetz

Liriano or Nova?

Post by dmetz »

6D666E6267667D383E497068616666276A66090 wrote: Lol what a ridiculous choice.   As if these two pitchers have anything to do with one another.

I'd love to have Liriano in the rotation WITH nova in 2017.

If we traded Hutchison for Liriano & Reese McGuire today, people would be writing NH in for President.

Didn't Nova replace Liriano? 

And No, I wouldn't do that trade.  I don't want Liriano back at $13.6 million a year.

I'm not the slightest bit surprised lol. If NH did that trade, you'd be praising him and rightfully so
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Liriano or Nova?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Why do you want Liriano back?
dmetz

Liriano or Nova?

Post by dmetz »

666D65696C6D763335427B636A6D6D2C616D020 wrote: Why do you want Liriano back?

The obvious talent answer aside, hy do you want Nova? Frankie outpitched him from the time Nova arrived in a tougher league. Liriano was one of the best LH starters in the NL for 3 consecutive years prior to last season, pitched lights out in Toronto after the trade. We got absolutely nothing for him.

Why wouldn't you want him back other than NH told you so? Or some nonsense about clubhouse cancer, which is always the rank and files go-to when they have nothing else
Bobster21

Liriano or Nova?

Post by Bobster21 »

3A333B2A245E0 wrote: Why do you want Liriano back?

The obvious talent answer aside, hy do you want Nova?  Frankie outpitched him from the time Nova arrived in a tougher league.  Liriano was one of the best LH starters in the NL for 3 consecutive years prior to last season, pitched lights out in Toronto after the trade.  We got absolutely nothing for him. 

Why wouldn't you want him back other than NH told you so? Or some nonsense about clubhouse cancer, which is always the rank and files go-to when they have nothing else
I wasn't sorry to see Liriano go. He had become a liability once batters stopped chasing his pitches outside the strike zone. But I was very bothered when they tossed in 2 top prospects when the only return was Hutchison. There is nothing in Hutchison's resume to suggest he will be a good pitcher. The Blue Jays had demoted him to AAA after a couple poor seasons. At worst, the Blue Jays were trading a guy who was never good for a guy who was good as recently as a year ago but was no longer good enough to pitch for the Pirates. But at least there was hope Liriano might revert back to his previous form, whereas Hutchison had never been effective. IMHO, that made a Liriano for Hutchison trade slightly in the Blue Jays' favor. But adding in the prospects made no sense other than compensation for the salary Toronto was inheriting with Liriano, and NH even admitted that financial considerations were part of the deal.

Liriano pitched well for Toronto but in a SSS. I doubt he repeats that next season. I'd rather have Nova. But I would have kept Liriano before I would have surrendered the prospects just to get rid of him.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Liriano or Nova?

252C24353B410 wrote: Why do you want Liriano back?

The obvious talent answer aside, hy do you want Nova?  Frankie outpitched him from the time Nova arrived in a tougher league.  Liriano was one of the best LH starters in the NL for 3 consecutive years prior to last season, pitched lights out in Toronto after the trade.  We got absolutely nothing for him. 

You never answer the question.

Read Bobster's post. That's why I don't want Liriano anymore. He was very, very good for the Pirates. I never said he wasn't. And I also explained this numerous of times.

So again, why do YOU want Liriano back besides Huntington not wanting him back (see, I can twist things too)?
OrlandoMerced

Liriano or Nova?

Post by OrlandoMerced »

People actually want Liriano back?
dmetz

Liriano or Nova?

Post by dmetz »

1). He was a very good, high k Lefty starter for 3.5 of the last 4 seasons.

2) he finished the year last year extremely well.  Pitched even better than Nova in a harder league, in the same sample size.

Why the heck not other than the Jays have no interest in trading him after the theft that was his acquisition?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Liriano or Nova?

Well, out of 37 votes only 9 want Liriano over Nova (Almost 76%) so far.

I think Liriano can have a very good year in the AL, but I (and mostly others here) would still rather have Nova.
OrlandoMerced

Liriano or Nova?

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Has anyone done any indepth comparison between Liriano in Pittsburgh and Liriano in Toronto?

He was clearly more competent in Tor, he was likely put in a better position to succeed, but it was also a very small sample size that was boosted by two strong starts to close the season.

I for one am not confident that Liriano will pitch more than 150 innings next year.