Running It Like A Deli

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GnatsEyelash

Running It Like A Deli

Post by GnatsEyelash »

My wife used to run a deli.

There were two times of the month that I was concerned with. THAT time of the month, and the time of the month where she was held accountable for hitting her "gross." That was the profit the deli ownership demanded after figuring in the cost of goods and labor. If I recall correctly, if she hit a 35% that was acceptable. If she hit a 40%, the owners were very happy.

A lot has been made of the GM's recent comments about the pitching staff. While Mr. Huntington may not know the exact budget for next year, he knows what the projections are going to say. He's gonna be lucky to spend as much as he did this year on payroll, which was not enough to tread water, especially after factoring in the injuries.

He probably agrees with all of you about what the club needs. He also knows that it does absolutely no good to raise expectations that he's going to spend money that he's not going to be allowed to spend. In reality, that would only postpone the screams to when he doesn't spend the money he's not going to be allowed to spend.

I find it rather interesting that each of the last two GM's rolled the dice on pitchers at the mid season trade deadline. Littlefield traded for Rajai Davis for Matt Morris. Huntington traded the king's ransom for Chris Archer.

I'm not comparing the trades in terms of players moved and acquired. I am comparing them in terms of desperation.

The clock was, and is, ticking.

The success of Huntington has been measured by negotiating below market value contracts with Marte and Vazquez. Those contracts have allowed him to get guys like David Freese and Melky Cabrera. Unfortunately, Freese and Cabrera do not inspire fans to buy tickets in large numbers, which is what the Pittsburgh GM really needs.

Legendary GM's are giving the opportunity to rebuild. Non legends usually don't get that opportunity. Neal Huntington is not a legend. Because of that, he knows his time will come to an end as soon as a rebuild is mandated by the bean counters.

If everything goes right, and if Chris Archer pitched well, he gets to be GM for a couple more years. If not, well, he was going to get canned anyhow. The lesson here is that you don't want your top baseball guy making moves out of desperation.

As for this week, he still has a job. and he is stuck telling the masses that chipped ham is top end roast beef.
Ecbucs

Running It Like A Deli

Post by Ecbucs »

this is why I don't understand why he is satisfied staying in Pittsburgh.
mouse

Running It Like A Deli

Post by mouse »

Maybe that hard July 31 trade deadline is our friend, then.
ChitownBucco

Running It Like A Deli

Post by ChitownBucco »

Where's the Beef?