Proposal For 2021 Season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by Ecbucs »

shorter season will mean less losses for the Bucs. Which team or teams is expected to be competition for worst record?

WildwoodDave2

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

613721353A20303B362113343E323A3F7D30530 wrote: Just one month of Spring Training.  The players will love that.  It seems way too long to me from mid-February to the end of March.
uyy

I am sure that you will be elated to hear that in the proposal the DH will continue in the NL for another season :D
Surgnbuck

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by Surgnbuck »

Well, you learn something new every day. Apparently, the union is against expanded playoffs because they say it will disincentivizes the regular season, which could lead to subpar performance on the part of players, which can lead to reduction in salary offers.

I wonder if the players were offered a larger slice of the playoff money, if that would all of a sudden make them play better in the regular season too.
ArnoldRothstein

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

which could lead to subpar performance on the part of players, which can lead to reduction in salary offers.

I think that the players' argument is that expanded playoffs will lead teams to aim for 84 wins instead of 88, so that teams won't have as much incentive to compete for good players.
NJBucsFan

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by NJBucsFan »

Fewer games, expanded playoffs and the DH. I guess I'm just old now that none of that seems like a good idea. Between the clownball rules, the Covid weirdness and the horrendous team I largely checked out last year. Have you ever been in a relationship for a long time, and then realized "oh wow, they've changed so much that they're really not the person I fell for in the first place." It's kinda like that.

I don't care about whether I'm a stick in the mud, or what's best for the union or the owners or anything like that. I just know we're drifting so much away from the game I fell in love with, that I'm less apt to really be engaged.
fjk090852-7

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by fjk090852-7 »

596A7677747C4A776C706B6C7D7176180 wrote: which could lead to subpar performance on the part of players, which can lead to reduction in salary offers.

I think that the players' argument is that expanded playoffs will lead teams to aim for 84 wins instead of 88, so that teams won't have as much incentive to compete for good players.
Another reason I think MLB needs a yearly salary floor. Teams must spend so much money in order to compete. No tanking!
Surgnbuck

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by Surgnbuck »

5F5B5364726257707F110 wrote: Fewer games, expanded playoffs and the DH. I guess I'm just old now that none of that seems like a good idea. Between the clownball rules, the Covid weirdness and the horrendous team I largely checked out last year. Have you ever been in a relationship for a long time, and then realized "oh wow, they've changed so much that they're really not the person I fell for in the first place." It's kinda like that.

I don't care about whether I'm a stick in the mud, or what's best for the union or the owners or anything like that. I just know we're drifting so much away from the game I fell in love with, that I'm less apt to really be engaged.

In all fairness, I think the same thing is said by every generation about every sport. I find it interesting to hear people talk about "how they USED to play the game" referring to whatever sport they were talking about-in the 90's!

Ecbucs

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by Ecbucs »

062027323B3720363E550 wrote: Fewer games, expanded playoffs and the DH. I guess I'm just old now that none of that seems like a good idea. Between the clownball rules, the Covid weirdness and the horrendous team I largely checked out last year. Have you ever been in a relationship for a long time, and then realized "oh wow, they've changed so much that they're really not the person I fell for in the first place." It's kinda like that.

In all fairness, I think the same thing is said by every generation about every sport. I find it interesting to hear people talk about "how they USED to play the game" referring to whatever sport they were talking about-in the 90's!

it all went downhill when gloves got bigger and players used more than 3 bats in a season. Not to mention batting gloves and base running gloves.
Surgnbuck

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by Surgnbuck »

6B4D4C5B4D5D2E0 wrote: Fewer games, expanded playoffs and the DH. I guess I'm just old now that none of that seems like a good idea. Between the clownball rules, the Covid weirdness and the horrendous team I largely checked out last year. Have you ever been in a relationship for a long time, and then realized "oh wow, they've changed so much that they're really not the person I fell for in the first place." It's kinda like that.

it all went downhill when gloves got bigger and players used more than 3 bats in a season.  Not to mention batting gloves and base running gloves.

Doc used to complain about catchers wearing protective gear and electricity, just to further an example.
PMike

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by PMike »

172438393A320439223E2522333F38560 wrote: which could lead to subpar performance on the part of players, which can lead to reduction in salary offers.

Expanded playoffs would change the game for the really good teams and their fans also. If you are the Yankees and you know your team is making the playoffs, what's to keep you from only playing Judge 100 games or only starting Cole 20 times so that they are super rested for the playoffs? Fans miss out big time by going to the ballpark and not getting to see their favorite players. If you thought Hurdle liked to rest guys, what to see what that would enable!