Pirates pick Gonzales

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Javy

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by Javy »

082E2F382E3E4D0 wrote: what questions? Most of what little I've read describes him as average to good [not great or very good] defensively and will likely play 2B [not enough range]. But everythind I've read is he can hit and one guy likens him to Hiura [spelling ??]

The concerns center around "his exit velocities were more pedestrian than one might suspect, leading some evaluators to believe his power potential (and the validity of comparisons to Milwaukee Brewer's second baseman Keston Hiura) is overstated. A data-driven team might find it hard to justify popping Gonzales so early, lest they end up with a singles-hitting second baseman who isn't a threat to run or win a Gold Glove". Obviously I hope they are wrong . I liked Detmers better but that is only my opinion.

my hope is that he hits like Anthony Rendon.

I have read the same concerns about Gonzales. The question about exit velocity is somewhat concerning, however, he did hit very well in the Cape Cod League, so there is a positive.

Here's hoping the Rendon type player is what emerges, even if it is the Rendon of the first 3-4 years of his career.

The Bucs need to come out on the positive side with this pick for the benefit of the new management team's credibility. An early success will boost their standing with the fanbase.
UtahPirate

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by UtahPirate »

1932252A530 wrote: what questions? Most of what little I've read describes him as average to good [not great or very good] defensively and will likely play 2B [not enough range]. But everythind I've read is he can hit and one guy likens him to Hiura [spelling ??]

The concerns center around "his exit velocities were more pedestrian than one might suspect, leading some evaluators to believe his power potential (and the validity of comparisons to Milwaukee Brewer's second baseman Keston Hiura) is overstated. A data-driven team might find it hard to justify popping Gonzales so early, lest they end up with a singles-hitting second baseman who isn't a threat to run or win a Gold Glove". Obviously I hope they are wrong . I liked Detmers better but that is only my opinion.

I have read the same concerns about Gonzales. The question about exit velocity is somewhat concerning, however, he did hit very well in the Cape Cod League, so there is a positive.

Here's hoping the Rendon type player is what emerges, even if it is the Rendon of the first 3-4 years of his career.

The Bucs need to come out on the positive side with this pick for the benefit of the new management team's credibility. An early success will boost their standing with the fanbase.

His 7 HRs in 153 ABs and 1.000+ OPS at Cape Cod along with the league MVP would suggest that he provides power from some place. The MLB draft is such a crap shoot, who really knows at this point. But everything I'd read about Cherington had him liking middle infielders in his BOS and TOR drafts. I have a feeling he is pretty happy about getting Gonzales.
Ecbucs

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by Ecbucs »

0627323B033A21322736530 wrote: what questions? Most of what little I've read describes him as average to good [not great or very good] defensively and will likely play 2B [not enough range]. But everythind I've read is he can hit and one guy likens him to Hiura [spelling ??]

His 7 HRs in 153 ABs and 1.000+ OPS at Cape Cod along with the league MVP would suggest that he provides power from some place. The MLB draft is such a crap shoot, who really knows at this point. But everything I'd read about Cherington had him liking middle infielders in his BOS and TOR drafts. I have a feeling he is pretty happy about getting Gonzales.

to me, this is the year to go for college players unless you see a Mike Trout out there. - now watch the next 4 Pirate picks be prep players.
IABucFan

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by IABucFan »

Personally, I think this draft is a screw job of small market teams who primarily have to build through the draft. Lots of guys are found in the later rounds of the MLB draft. I think our first two picks may take slot to sign. Good news is that they are both college juniors, I believe, which greatly reduces their leverage. Regardless, they might have to be kind of stingy with their bonus pool money from here on out. I'm no expert, but just thinking logically would lead me to believe that teams will shy away from high school players on day 2. Those guys have the most leverage, and if they're good enough to go in the top five rounds as a high schooler, I suspect most of those guys see themselves as first round picks in three years if they go to college. If they can somehow land this Dingler kid in the second round, I'll be a happy camper with this draft.
Javy

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by Javy »

547273647262110 wrote: what questions? Most of what little I've read describes him as average to good [not great or very good] defensively and will likely play 2B [not enough range]. But everythind I've read is he can hit and one guy likens him to Hiura [spelling ??]

to me, this is the year to go for college players unless you see a Mike Trout out there.  - now watch the next 4 Pirate picks be prep players.
I read the USA Sports Weekly. They had the Pirates looking at Hancock or Meyers. Gonzalez was slated to go to KC with the 5th pick by them, so I think the early surprises messed up a lot of the predictions. Like Utah said, a complete crap shoot.
INbuc

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by INbuc »

Just watched the film on 2nd Round pick Jared Jones, rhp. He certainly has some zip on his pitches, but his slider really has some sharp bite. Another site indicated he was in the 90th percentile for both speed (60 YD dash) and exit velocity. Must be a solid all around athlete.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I don't know much about these picks other than what I've read and viewed on You Tube videos. But one thing I do know that's encouraging: Huntington wasn't involved in choosing them.
Lecom

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by Lecom »

7B2D3B2F203A2A212C3B092E24282025672A490 wrote: I don't know much about these picks other than what I've read and viewed on You Tube videos.  But one thing I do know that's encouraging:  Huntington wasn't involved in choosing them.

Just listened to the talking heads on MLB network. They really liked the class so far into the third round so there is that.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

436A6C60620F0 wrote: I don't know much about these picks other than what I've read and viewed on You Tube videos.  But one thing I do know that's encouraging:  Huntington wasn't involved in choosing them.

Just listened to the talking heads on MLB network. They really liked the class so far into the third round so there is that.

If Huntington wasn't one of the talking heads, I'm encouraged even more.
SyrBucco

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by SyrBucco »

I think Jack Hartman, RHP, Appalachin State, is somebody they chose who will sign under slot so they can give the other guys the money they need to sign.

He's not a top 200 guy.

JMHO.