Pirates vs Cubs 4/11

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Pirates vs Cubs 4/11

Post by Bobster21 »

Bucs could have won if they had held Cubs to -1 runs. Pirates are averaging 3.55 runs/game. NL average is 4.78 only Cincy, Colorado, SF and Miami are worse. We knew after NH's less than stellar off season that hitting and fielding were going to be weaknesses, and it's been an issue from the get go. Of course it's very early but when the problems you expect are the problems you see, it seems more like the norm than an aberration.
PMike

Pirates vs Cubs 4/11

Post by PMike »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: Bucs could have won if they had held Cubs to -1 runs. Pirates are averaging 3.55 runs/game. NL average is 4.78 only Cincy, Colorado, SF and Miami are worse. We knew after NH's less than stellar off season that hitting and fielding were going to be weaknesses, and it's been an issue from the get go. Of course it's very early but when the problems you expect are the problems you see, it seems more like the norm than an aberration.

I'm not sure that I agree with that. One would think the offense will be much better when Dickerson and Polanco are getting more at bats. Replacing every Shuck/Reyes at bat with one of those two would make a big difference.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates vs Cubs 4/11

Post by SammyKhalifa »

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/pirates-vs- ... ame=565126

~3:10 or so.  I know the error had to go to someone, and Gonzalez was touching the ball, but . . .

If it was his fault it wasn't wholly his fault.  I don't really know who should call off the others in that play though.
Osushawn

Pirates vs Cubs 4/11

Post by Osushawn »

Just bring Cruz up now please
Bobster21

Pirates vs Cubs 4/11

Post by Bobster21 »

667B5F5D53360 wrote: Bucs could have won if they had held Cubs to -1 runs. Pirates are averaging 3.55 runs/game. NL average is 4.78 only Cincy, Colorado, SF and Miami are worse. We knew after NH's less than stellar off season that hitting and fielding were going to be weaknesses, and it's been an issue from the get go. Of course it's very early but when the problems you expect are the problems you see, it seems more like the norm than an aberration.

I'm not sure that I agree with that.  One would think the offense will be much better when Dickerson and Polanco are getting more at bats.  Replacing every Shuck/Reyes at bat with one of those two would make a big difference.

That's true. But I also don't expect Bell to hit .300 or Cabrera to hit .375 as they are currently doing. Also, Martin has about as Many ABs as either Shuck of Reyes and is hitting .385. So that at least helps take some of the sting away from the other 2/3rds of that 3 headed monster. But you are correct that the hitting will improve when Dickerson and Polanco return (although Polanco and his career .254 BA and career high 23 HRs probably gets fans expecting too much of him). But I don't think the addition of those missing players will transform this into a good hitting team. Better than they currently are but not better than average (if that).
PMike

Pirates vs Cubs 4/11

Post by PMike »

60525E5E4A785B525F5A5552330 wrote: https://www.mlb.com/gameday/pirates-vs- ... ame=565126

~3:10 or so.  I know the error had to go to someone, and Gonzalez was touching the ball, but . . .

If it was his fault it wasn't wholly his fault.  I don't really know who should call off the others in that play though.

The ball is the the SS's ball all the way. The SS has the angle. The mentioned last night in the broadcast that they practice these drills in spring training. Kang should have been listening for Gonzalez to yell that he had it. The video showed him yelling that. Maybe Kang didn't hear. The stands are close in Chicago in that part of the park.
MaineBucs

Pirates vs Cubs 4/11

Post by MaineBucs »

And, with the way the wind was blowing across the field from center to left, and carrying the ball more toward the stands, it clearly was the SS's play, unless the outfielder (who couldn't) could catch up to the fly ball.