Has anything really changed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: The only thing the previous group ever did was try to build a team that had a chance to be competitive.  So far, it looks like this group is willing to go with a group that is not really going to be competitive without a lot of good luck.  What hasn't changed is their willingness to be transparent and actually tell the fans what they are planning.  If we have a $60M payroll this year does that mean they are banking the extra money to be used with future payrolls?  I want to know how much that extra amount is, roughly speaking.  I like the idea of trading guys that will be leaving soon for multiple lower-level higher-ceiling players, [highlight]but I need to know that the extra cash will be banked  and will be spent.[/highlight]  Right now, I do not know that and I am skeptical, to say the least, that it will happen that way.

We were told on more than one occasion when Huntington was in charge that the team was saving money for the future, to be spent when the time was right.  Remember, they called it "financial flexibility"?  By now, there should be enough money saved to pay half the national debt.  Who knows where that money has gone, but we all know it was never spent on what it was saved for.  And it never will. 

And even prior to NH, Dave Littlefield used the "financial flexibility" line. Nutting must be wallpapering his home(s) with all that money. :)

Don't you mean "his castle(s)"?
mouse

Post by mouse »

Apparently some things don't change and don't change across baseball. The Red Sox traded Mookie Betts and David Price in what is being termed by media as a "salary dump" and by management as providing something called "financial flexibility."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mo ... li=BBnbfcL
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

24263C3A2C490 wrote: Apparently some things don't change and don't change across baseball. The Red Sox traded Mookie Betts and David Price in what is being termed by media as a "salary dump" and by management as providing something called "financial flexibility."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mo ... li=BBnbfcL

That was an informative article thanks for posting it. My guess would be when the Red Sox need to exercise their financial flexibility they will.
Javy

Post by Javy »

As was mentioned upstream, transparency is in question. While the players making the decisions have changed, the one constant is Nutting. It would seem to me, that he does not want any stated projections for the future that he may be accountable for, like "spending when the time is right" or about his "commitment to winning".

While I am, and will remain, open-minded and hopeful about the new leadership team, if Bob wants a shoe string operation, that is what we, the fans, will get. The guy is a winner in the business sense only, and doesn't give a fat rat's butt about the success of the team on the field. I have believed this for many years now, and until there is a sharp turn in the manner in which they conduct the business of the baseball operation, I will continue to believe that.

BC and his team will have to be extremely good at identifying and developing talent for this franchise to succeed on the field, and that success will be a continuous revolving door as salaries escalate through service time and arbitration.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

163D2A255C0 wrote: As was mentioned upstream, transparency is in question. While the players making the decisions have changed, the one constant is Nutting. It would seem to me, that he does not want any stated projections for the future that he may be accountable for, like "spending when the time is right" or about his "commitment to winning".

While I am, and will remain, open-minded and hopeful about the new leadership team, if Bob wants a shoe string operation, that is what we, the fans, will get. The guy is a winner in the business sense only, and doesn't give a fat rat's butt about the success of the team on the field. I have believed this for many years now, and until there is a sharp turn in the manner in which they conduct the business of the baseball operation, I will continue to believe that.

BC and his team will have to be extremely good at identifying and developing talent for this franchise to succeed on the field, and that success will be a continuous revolving door as salaries escalate through service time and arbitration.
Agreed. When the previous regime took over they said they would develop talent internally and then spend when the time was right. But all that did was buy them a few years of patience from the fans before the fans saw it was all a lie. The highwater mark of spending was when they got up to about 75% of the MLB average before dismantling a 98-win team to plummet the payroll. When their idea of maxing out their spending is to achieve 25% less than average while dismantling a strong team following a franchise record attendance year, there is little if anything for fans to look forward to. So now they are back to square 1. A new regime to again take a crack at developing talent internally. But what if they succeed? What if the team becomes strong enough to win 98 or so games again? What if they see record attendance again? Nutting has been there before. And we know what he did.
Javy

Post by Javy »

We'll probably get let down again. Because until Bob shows us something different, he will always be the (fill in the negative narrative) he has shown all along.

I was never a fan of the previous regime, Frank, Neal and Clint. I never trusted Coonelly because I firmly believed MLB foisted him off on the Bucs, and thought that Neal and Clint were nothing more than yes men for Bob and Frank.

Hopefully the new staff will change that perception and Bob will allow them the freedom to add when necessary. And, I don't mean by adding Betts, Harper, Trout, or Rendon types either, just solid additions to push the team forward.

I would be thrilled with a team that consistently competed for post-season play, like the Cards or the Braves do.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

The only thing that has changed is that Bob now has to pay 2 GM salaries, two Manager salaries and two President salaries (I think)

Enough said.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Now that the dust and all the "good feelings" about the change in management have settled in--they've essentially taken a last-place team and deleted its most talented player in exchange for a couple of guys who each have a 20 percent chance of making the majors four years from now.

This was my issue with the "let's rebuild" philosophy. We don't have enough talent to trade away for a successful rebuild. I would have gone after pitching and catching help, and if you're lucky, you contend, and if not, well, at least you have some pieces worth trading in July.
shedman

Post by shedman »

2B001718610 wrote: As was mentioned upstream, transparency is in question. While the players making the decisions have changed, the one constant is Nutting. It would seem to me, that he does not want any stated projections for the future that he may be accountable for, like "spending when the time is right" or about his "commitment to winning".

----

Welcome aboard Javy. I think you will find this a good message board. If you need help, the administrators and moderators are very helpful. I tried to start a poll and had no idea what I was doing and one of the administrators picked it up for me and ran the poll.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

Hi Javy glad to see you posting !