A Candid Conversation with Bob Nutting

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

05242C052E26410 wrote: From Jason Mackey of the Post-Gazette

A Candid Conversation Bob Nutting Exclusive
In a related article,Nutting said " it's difficult to make an investment that's going to pay off in ten years". At 73, I better talk to my cardiologist to see how much time I have :D
wtmjkj@verizon.net

Post by wtmjkj@verizon.net »

I could go on about this for pages, so I'll stick to one minor comment.  I am absolutely sick to death of seeing the issue phrased as whether Nutting wants to win.  It's a straw man.  No doubt every single individual in MLB would rather win than lose.  The relevant question is, How committed is Nutting to winning relative to the rest of MLB?  Just once I'd like to see a writer phrase the question correctly.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

6360797E7F7E546271667D6E7B7A3A7A7160140 wrote: I could go on about this for pages, so I'll stick to one minor comment.  I am absolutely sick to death of seeing the issue phrased as whether Nutting wants to win.  It's a straw man.  No doubt every single individual in MLB would rather win than lose.  The relevant question is, How committed is Nutting to winning relative to the rest of MLB?  Just once I'd like to see a writer phrase the question correctly.

Great post WTM. I might add to the question or maybe have it as a precursor to yours. The question is; How do you define winning? Does Nutting consider winning being able to take his team to the WS? Is winning mean boosting his own profits and the value of the team as an asset to him and his family? Question him hard on the subject. Of course, the person asking either question will become a person non-gratis when it comes to future interviews with Nutting.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

16150C0B0A0B21170413081B0E0F4F0F0415610 wrote: I could go on about this for pages, so I'll stick to one minor comment.  I am absolutely sick to death of seeing the issue phrased as whether Nutting wants to win.  It's a straw man.  No doubt every single individual in MLB would rather win than lose.  The relevant question is, How committed is Nutting to winning relative to the rest of MLB?  Just once I'd like to see a writer phrase the question correctly.

Well said!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5E7F775E757D1A0 wrote: I could go on about this for pages, so I'll stick to one minor comment.  I am absolutely sick to death of seeing the issue phrased as whether Nutting wants to win.  It's a straw man.  No doubt every single individual in MLB would rather win than lose.  The relevant question is, How committed is Nutting to winning relative to the rest of MLB?  Just once I'd like to see a writer phrase the question correctly.

Great post WTM.  I might add to the question or maybe have it as a precursor to yours.  The question is;  How do you define winning?  Does Nutting consider winning being able to take his team to the WS?  Is winning mean boosting his own profits and the value of the team as an asset to him and his family?  Question him hard on the subject.  Of course, the person asking either question will become a person non-gratis when it comes to future interviews with Nutting. 

There have been interviews with Nutting or his underlings that say they want to bring a championship to Pittsburgh. Pro sports is all about PR so he can't be honest about his intention, which is to maintain a profit by spending very little on the team. So while his private definition of winning seems to focus on his bank account, he must publicly tell the people whose support he needs for that money that his goal is to win a championship. Because that's supposed to be the goal of every owner in every sport.

He's not going to confess if the right question is asked. He just has to maintain his lie about his goal. By now no one believes him anyway but as long as the profit continues, it's all good (for him). He will always claim that his goal is to bring a championship to Pittsburgh no matter how laughable that it when compared to his actions. And when the issue of spending is brought up by a reporter, Nutting will always provide alternatives like a pitching lab, or sports science or the Dominican Academy as if his team is on the cutting edge of sports technology so they don't need to spend on players to win that championship he wants. The reporter's follow up to that should be, "But don't all teams do similar things, so where's the edge for the Pirates?" The issue is as WTM stated it. The question is not whether he wants to win. Who wouldn't? The issue is his commitment to that goal, which is absent.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6D404D5C5B4A5D1D1E2F0 wrote: I could go on about this for pages, so I'll stick to one minor comment.  I am absolutely sick to death of seeing the issue phrased as whether Nutting wants to win.  It's a straw man.  No doubt every single individual in MLB would rather win than lose.  The relevant question is, How committed is Nutting to winning relative to the rest of MLB?  Just once I'd like to see a writer phrase the question correctly.

Great post WTM.  I might add to the question or maybe have it as a precursor to yours.  The question is;  How do you define winning?  Does Nutting consider winning being able to take his team to the WS?  Is winning mean boosting his own profits and the value of the team as an asset to him and his family?  Question him hard on the subject.  Of course, the person asking either question will become a person non-gratis when it comes to future interviews with Nutting. 

There have been interviews with Nutting or his underlings that say they want to bring a championship to Pittsburgh. Pro sports is all about PR so he can't be honest about his intention, which is to maintain a profit by spending very little on the team. So while his private definition of winning seems to focus on his bank account, he must publicly tell the people whose support he needs for that money that his goal is to win a championship. Because that's supposed to be the goal of every owner in every sport.

He's not going to confess if the right question is asked. He just has to maintain his lie about his goal. By now no one believes him anyway but as long as the profit continues, it's all good (for him). He will always claim that his goal is to bring a championship to Pittsburgh no matter how laughable that it when compared to his actions. And when the issue of spending is brought up by a reporter, Nutting will always provide alternatives like a pitching lab, or sports science or the Dominican Academy as if his team is on the cutting edge of sports technology so they don't need to spend on players to win that championship he wants. The reporter's follow up to that should be, "But don't all teams do similar things, so where's the edge for the Pirates?" The issue is as WTM stated it. The question is not whether he wants to win. Who wouldn't? The issue is his commitment to that goal, which is absent.
And next year at this time, we will be posting the same old thing
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Today is Bob's 59th, by the way.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

In lieu of him not doing what he should do to win, I'd like someone to tell Nutting to button his shirt. I don't know what he's trying to say with leaving it undone. It's disgusting to look at.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2B7D6B7F706A7A717C6B597E74787075377A190 wrote: In lieu of him not doing what he should do to win, I'd like someone to tell Nutting to button his shirt.  I don't know what he's trying to say with leaving it undone.  It's disgusting to look at.
Are you implying that Nutting would not be disgusting to look at if he just buttoned his shirt? ;D
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

517C71606776612122130 wrote: In lieu of him not doing what he should do to win, I'd like someone to tell Nutting to button his shirt.  I don't know what he's trying to say with leaving it undone.  It's disgusting to look at.
Are you implying that Nutting would not be disgusting to look at if he just buttoned his shirt?  ;D

HA! I am not!