Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by mouse »

In the meantime, remember - while you or I came get disgusted and go off to read a book or flip to the Steelers game, Hurdle has to sit in that dugout and watch pitch after pitch, inning after inning. You can only get ejected so many times before it starts to look suspicious.
Bobster21

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by Bobster21 »

696B717761040 wrote: In the meantime, remember - while you or I came get disgusted and go off to read a book or flip to the Steelers game, Hurdle has to sit in that dugout and watch pitch after pitch, inning after inning. You can only get ejected so many times before it starts to look suspicious.
I suspect it doesn't bother Hurdle. He'd prefer to win but never really manages like it's a priority. And it's not something he's experienced much. In 7+ years with the Rockies he had losing seasons the first 5 years, then went to the WS in year 6 on the basis of 1 great month. (He was 3 games over .500 on Sept 1 and went 21-8 the rest of the season. Then swept Philly and AZ in the playoffs only to get swept in the WS.) Then they dropped to 74 wins the next year. The following year he was 18-28 when fired and Jim Tracy (gulp!) took over and went 74-42 the rest of the season. Gotta be something wrong when you get fired less than 2 years after going to the WS and Jim Tracy takes a team you keep losing with and makes them a winner. Bottom line was that his 7+ year career in Colorado was saved by 1 great month and was otherwise consistently losing. He's had more success with the Bucs as this is only his 5th losing season in 9 years but he's overseen some epic collapses. Her seems quite satisfied to stay with a team whose owner prevents any chance of real success. So I doubt Hurdle is too bothered by losing.
BenM

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by BenM »

103D30212637206063520 wrote: Her seems quite satisfied to stay with a team whose owner prevents any chance of real success. So I doubt Hurdle is too bothered by losing.   

After Bochy retires at the end of the season, he will be the fourth highest paid manager in baseball. With pretty good job security.

(The three in front of him, Maddon, Francona and Yost, have World Series rings.)
Ecbucs

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by Ecbucs »

7E5952713C0 wrote: Her seems quite satisfied to stay with a team whose owner prevents any chance of real success. So I doubt Hurdle is too bothered by losing.   

After Bochy retires at the end of the season, he will be the fourth highest paid manager in baseball. With pretty good job security.

(The three in front of him, Maddon, Francona and Yost, have World Series rings.)

he is doing so well with the Pirates and no other team is trying to lure him away.
notes34

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by notes34 »

44597D7F71140 wrote: I didn't see any of the game but it looks like Archer had a pretty good outing. I know I'm probably in the minority but I still think this guy can be a really good pitcher.
After 3 batters in the 1st inning, St.L. had 3 hits and the bases loaded. But he got out of it with just 1 run on a DP. He was pretty effective the rest of the way in his 6 innings with just 1 more run. He used to be a really good pitcher (21013-15) so there is hope he might get back to that level again. A game like this is encouraging, especially since his previous start was similar. He needs to pitch that way consistently instead of having as many bad outings as good. But he was solid last night.

IMO, Archer absolutely has the stuff.  He can overpower people with his FB and his slider is really good.  His problem when he gets lit up is location.  Sometimes he gets away with location cause his stuff is good.  But in his bad games, he throws a lot of balls in the middle of the strike zone.  Last night, he did not miss in the zone much.  In particular, his high FB was over powering everyone because it was at the top of the zone or out of the zone.
Yeah his stuff is nasty. I really don't understand the results. A huge problem has been the BB's. If he gets the walks back to around 2.9-3.1 which is where is career norms are I think the result will be much better.