Possible Lineup In A Couple Years

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Javy

Post by Javy »

3A36376C656C64696E716B5C0 wrote: Ben Cherington indicated in one of his past zoom conferences that not all prospects succeed in MLB. I am probably more optimistic than most, but I could see the following lineup in a couple seasons.

Martin 1b

Gonzales 2b

Peguero SS

Hays 3B

Reynolds LF

Swaggerty / Head CF

Cruz Rf

C. Smith DH

E. Rodriguez C

Pitchers

Priester

Yen

Malone

Rocker ??

There are some other pieces which need to be added, but this group of players could become a very nice foundation to build from.
Encouraging that the acquisitions made over the last 2 years could form the core of the team going forward. Even if HALF of these guys make it and become consistent performers, that would be leaps and bounds over what the previous regime accomplished.

To be fair, some of these guys were drafted by Huntington, but the development will be credited to Cheringtons gang.

Here's hoping the evaluation and development processes play out better than before.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

Two years is probably too soon, but if we mean three years down the road that's nice to look forward to.
PMike

Post by PMike »

It is a crazy thing to look at the Pirates prospect list right now. They are so young. If my count was correct, on MLB's top 30 prospect ranking, 19 of the 30 are in A ball or lower. It is crazy to try and figure out who will be in the MLB team in 2-3 years. Not to mention adding (likely) Rocker this summer and whoever else they get in this draft. I think this is more projectability than ever before. When they were rebuilding 10 years ago, they didn't approach it like this. The rookie league and A ball teams are going to be stacked with intriguing players.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

When they were rebuilding 10 years ago, they didn't approach it like this.

They did bring in plenty of highly rated young players, they were just overdrafts who they drafted and signed. Bell, Grossman, Allie, Quinton Miller, Glasnow, Brooks Pounders, multiple pitching Zachs. The players didn't pan out for more than trade chips, but they were brought in.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7A6743414F2A0 wrote: It is a crazy thing to look at the Pirates prospect list right now.  They are so young.  If my count was correct, on MLB's top 30 prospect ranking, 19 of the 30 are in A ball or lower.  It is crazy to try and figure out who will be in the MLB team in 2-3 years.  Not to mention adding (likely) Rocker this summer and whoever else they get in this draft.  I think this is more projectability than ever before.  When they were rebuilding 10 years ago, they didn't approach it like this.  The rookie league and A ball teams are going to be stacked with intriguing players.

I think that's due to teams being unwilling to give up their MLB ready or close to ready prospects (other than NH when trading for Archer). That trend has occurred in the last decade or so. Seems like the days of trading for a hotshot prospect in MLB are about over. Salaries of veterans are so high that teams covet those prospects they can plug in within 1-2 years.

The challenge now for GMs seems to be to target the lower level prospects that teams are willing to trade because they are too far away to be in their team's not too distant future and because, at those lower levels, it's still uncertain how good they will become. It seems like a lopsided deal when a GM gives up a veteran for a few of those lower level prospects but that seems to be fairly standard in MLB now. When that's all that teams will part with, it becomes extremely important to have a scouting system that can identify the low level prospects with the best chance of succeeding in MLB. There are no guarantees and the BC regime is too new to know if they are good enough at that evaluation.
BenM

Post by BenM »

665549484B437548534F5453424E49270 wrote: When they were rebuilding 10 years ago, they didn't approach it like this.

They did bring in plenty of highly rated young players, they were just overdrafts who they drafted and signed. Bell, Grossman, Allie, Quinton Miller, Glasnow, Brooks Pounders, [highlight]multiple pitching Zachs. The players didn't pan out for more than trade chips, but they were brought in.[/highlight]

One of those Zachs became a national champion and now has a good shot at making the pros. Zach Von Rosenberg went to LSU after his minor league stint and developed into an NFL prospect as a punter.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Keep an eye out for Jack Herman plays OF and has some pop.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

143934252233246467560 wrote: It is a crazy thing to look at the Pirates prospect list right now.  They are so young.  If my count was correct, on MLB's top 30 prospect ranking, 19 of the 30 are in A ball or lower.  It is crazy to try and figure out who will be in the MLB team in 2-3 years.  Not to mention adding (likely) Rocker this summer and whoever else they get in this draft.  I think this is more projectability than ever before.  When they were rebuilding 10 years ago, they didn't approach it like this.  The rookie league and A ball teams are going to be stacked with intriguing players.

I think that's due to teams being unwilling to give up their MLB ready or close to ready prospects (other than NH when trading for Archer). That trend has occurred in the last decade or so. Seems like the days of trading for a hotshot prospect in MLB are about over. Salaries of veterans are so high that teams covet those prospects they can plug in within 1-2 years.

The challenge now for GMs seems to be to target the lower level prospects that teams are willing to trade because they are too far away to be in their team's not too distant future and because, at those lower levels, it's still uncertain how good they will become. It seems like a lopsided deal when a GM gives up a veteran for a few of those lower level prospects but that seems to be fairly standard in MLB now. When that's all that teams will part with, it becomes extremely important to have a scouting system that can identify the low level prospects with the best chance of succeeding in MLB. There are no guarantees and the BC regime is too new to know if they are good enough at that evaluation.

I am debating whether or not to purchase the MLB package. That's the only way I can watch the bucs in Jersey. I get all the Phillies games and do see the bucs when they play Phila. Last time I purchased it was 2018.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

68434247474245785F4A5F4244452B0 wrote: Keep an eye out for Jack Herman plays OF and has some pop.

I see that he last played for the Greensboro Grasshoppers. Is that Rookie League?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

57696C64776F6F644461766532000 wrote: Keep an eye out for Jack Herman plays OF and has some pop.

I see that he last played for the Greensboro Grasshoppers. Is that Rookie League?
It's in the South Atlantic League (A).