Such a typical Pirates series

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

475F5D5A5A4D5C5B464751340 wrote: One more thing ...

Another superb outing by Taillon today. Tremendous.

Pirates lead MLB in team ERA since July 8 ... just a shame the team hasn't been able to take advantage of incredibly good pitching because of rotten offense and so many late-game screw-ups.

A real missed opportunity ...

This is what gives me some hope for next year.  At the beginning of the year, I maintained I saw a #2 and a bunch of 4s, 5s and 6s in this rotation.  If JT, Williams can remain status quo for 2019; Musgrove improves a bit and Nova is somewhat consistent, then we might have something.
It's impossible to look to the future with Hurdle at the helm.  The guy just doesn't put a premium on wins.  It's like if you win 5 in a row that's pretty good so what if you lose a couple gosh we just won 5 in a row we're doing good 5 out of 7.  He doesn't understand that the game Monday night was very winnable but it just wasn't that important to him.  With a manager like that it doesn't matter what kind of players we have it's never going to produce a winning team for the Pirates.  Sad but that's my opinion.
I agree with skinnyhorse. Of course the problem goes deeper than Hurdle. He and NH seem to work in concert. NH was the one who had to make the roster move to call up Holmes for that infamous decision. NH said that move had been planned for a long time. Hurdle has had very little success in his mgr career. Only 1 winning season in 8 yrs in Colorado and that team was barely at .500 in mid September before going on an unbelievable streak. But the Rockies ownership was not fooled by 1 amazing half month and fired him less than 2 years later when the losing continued. He's had 3 winning seasons in 8 years with the Pirates and often punts on games. So he's not trying all that hard to win. But after stumbling and bumbling thru the previous 2 years, he and NH received joint 4-year extensions. They are definitely working as a team. We can look at the projected roster for 2019 and speculate on how their talent will match up but they are so routinely mismanaged that whatever talent they have is subverted by their own management.
Quail

Post by Quail »

6443486B260 wrote: I'm critical of Hurdle for being a bad manager but I have to give him credit today for bringing in Vazquez in the 8th and pitching 2 innings. Ahead 4-1 in the bottom of the 8th with 2 on and no outs, that was the make or break inning to determine the outcome of the game. Hurdle went to his best instead of saving Vazquez for a 9th inning save. Vazquez ended up going 2 innings and getting the save anyway. But a save is merely a stat. All that really matters is whether they win or lose. Good for Hurdle for making the best decision to win the game.

Did the Bucs shut down Keone Kela for the season? He hasn't pitched since September third.

In an article by Rob Biertempfel in The Athletic this week it was mentioned that Pirate management has decided to shut down Kela to limit his innings for the year. Whether that is for the rest of the season or not wasn't clear.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

1337232B2E420 wrote: I'm critical of Hurdle for being a bad manager but I have to give him credit today for bringing in Vazquez in the 8th and pitching 2 innings. Ahead 4-1 in the bottom of the 8th with 2 on and no outs, that was the make or break inning to determine the outcome of the game. Hurdle went to his best instead of saving Vazquez for a 9th inning save. Vazquez ended up going 2 innings and getting the save anyway. But a save is merely a stat. All that really matters is whether they win or lose. Good for Hurdle for making the best decision to win the game.

Did the Bucs shut down Keone Kela for the season? He hasn't pitched since September third.

In an article by Rob Biertempfel in The Athletic this week it was mentioned that Pirate management has decided to shut down Kela to limit his innings for the year. Whether that is for the rest of the season or not wasn't clear.

First time the Biertempfel had a somewhat confusing article in The Athletic. Maybe the Bucs just did not make it clear. Outside of his rookie season when he pitched 60 innings he has averaged like 36 innings in 16 & 17. He has pitched 52 innings in 2018. Maybe his arm is tired but heck you need to see him pitch to determine that. Its all confusing to me the way Clint manages this team.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I know that players are the ones who hit and pitch and that we need more good players. That said, if you told me that I had only 1 opportunity to make a choice for next year's team, I am at the point of replacing Hurdle as my top choice. The team needs new on-field direction.
Quail

Post by Quail »

072B23242F083F29394A0 wrote: I know that players are the ones who hit and pitch and that we need more good players.  That said, if you told me that I had only 1 opportunity to make a choice for next year's team, I am at the point of replacing Hurdle as my top choice.  The team needs new on-field direction.

Yup. Whether a monkey drives either a Yugo or a Ferrari the results are going to be about the same, but it's harder to watch a Ferrari get totaled.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

1A363E393215223424570 wrote: I know that players are the ones who hit and pitch and that we need more good players.  That said, if you told me that I had only 1 opportunity to make a choice for next year's team, I am at the point of replacing Hurdle as my top choice.  The team needs new on-field direction.
I'm with you, Mainer!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

4B616A5A6D7B7B77180 wrote: I know that players are the ones who hit and pitch and that we need more good players.  That said, if you told me that I had only 1 opportunity to make a choice for next year's team, I am at the point of replacing Hurdle as my top choice.  The team needs new on-field direction.
I'm with you, Mainer!

As much as I like Hurdle and what he has done for the team and the community I think it might be time for him to move on as well. Just who do we hire and where does he come from. Think I might start a thread asking that question.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

25040C250E06610 wrote: I know that players are the ones who hit and pitch and that we need more good players.  That said, if you told me that I had only 1 opportunity to make a choice for next year's team, I am at the point of replacing Hurdle as my top choice.  The team needs new on-field direction.
I'm with you, Mainer!

As much as I like Hurdle and what he has done for the team and the community I think it might be time for him to move on as well.  Just who do we hire and where does he come from.  Think I might start a thread asking that question.

Dusty Baker and Mike Metheny are out there.

I don't want Cora or Prince but can't think of any names that are ones I would like to get.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

[split] [link=http://onlybucs.net/board/cgi-bin/onlyb ... 935541/6#6][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

It was a post by SCBucco moved to the Who Would Replace Hurdle thread~