Archer's option not picked up

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: At the time of the trade in 2018 I was aware that Archer's numbers had fallen off sharply since his good seasons of 2013-15. But because NH gave up sp much to get him I thought the numbers must lie and that NH had knowledge that Archer was still a top pitcher despite his declining stats. Unfortunately, the stats did not lie and Archer's time as a Pirate merely continued his downward spiral. In fact, he got worse.

The Archer trade was disastrous and inexcusable. Archer was not a reclamation project like Liriano or Volquez. Those guys didn't cost anything more than a cheap FA contract because no one else wanted them after they had declined. But NH gave away the farm to get the declining Archer. Inexcusable.   

Time has its way of fading memory.  Liriano's "cheap" signing back in 2013 was for $3,500,000/year. 

That's huge money- today- by BOB Nutting Standards, let alone seven years ago.  We don't have many above that now.  And, the ones who are making it are no Francisco Liriano. 

No, he signed a 1-year deal for 1 million in 2013. But he had a good year and re-signed for 6 million in 2014. So in 2 years he made 7 million but it was not 2 year/3.5 mil per year signing when he was coming off the scrap heap in 2013. He had to prove himself that year to get the bigger contract the following year.

Memory intact!  :D

I read 2 years at 7 total this morning. OK....I guess both are correct.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: At the time of the trade in 2018 I was aware that Archer's numbers had fallen off sharply since his good seasons of 2013-15. But because NH gave up sp much to get him I thought the numbers must lie and that NH had knowledge that Archer was still a top pitcher despite his declining stats. Unfortunately, the stats did not lie and Archer's time as a Pirate merely continued his downward spiral. In fact, he got worse.

The Archer trade was disastrous and inexcusable. Archer was not a reclamation project like Liriano or Volquez. Those guys didn't cost anything more than a cheap FA contract because no one else wanted them after they had declined. But NH gave away the farm to get the declining Archer. Inexcusable.   

Just take a look around both leagues, Bobster. The bucs certainly have contributed to other teams success. Wonder if Bob gets any under the table kickbacks
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

3C3E242234510 wrote: It feels like NH recognized his time at Pittsburgh was in danger if he didn't produce soon, so he took a gamble at catching lightning in a bottle. One of the earlier GM's (whose name I've mercifully now forgotten - see, old age isn't all bad) traded someone to the Giants and took on a $10MM contract for Morris (again, as I recall), a washed-out pitcher at the time.

The Archer trade was facilitated by Coonley, that is why he was fired first.