general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

ugh, BB

Post by SammyKhalifa »

dogknot17@yahoo.co

ugh, BB

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

He deserves it. He should be in the Hall of Fame too.

He was cheered a few years ago when he presented an award to McCutchen on opening day in Pittsburgh.
SammyKhalifa

ugh, BB

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Okay, but do they have to do it when the Pirates are there?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

ugh, BB

162428283C0E2D24292C2324450 wrote: Okay, but do they have to do it when the Pirates are there?

Yeah, it is perfect. The two teams he played for. I wouldn't think of it as "rubbing it in". Is that what you think?
JollyRoger

ugh, BB

Post by JollyRoger »

I wonder if the Pirates would ever consider retiring his #24.

Granted, Bonds was an ass but his numbers speak for themselves. The Tigers have a statue of Ty Cobb. Bonds in my opinion may have been the greatest hitter and certainly was the biggest offensive threat of his generation. The OPS numbers are just staggering not to mention the walk rate. Can anyone else recall a player getting intentially walked with the bases loaded other than Bonds?
SammyKhalifa

ugh, BB

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5259515D5859420701764F575E5959185559360 wrote: Okay, but do they have to do it when the Pirates are there?

Yeah, it is perfect.  The two teams he played for.  I wouldn't think of it as "rubbing it in".  Is that what you think?the same year we lose Cutch to them? I'd say it's twisting the knife a but even if unintentionally.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

ugh, BB

6F4A49495C774A424057250 wrote: I wonder if the Pirates would ever consider retiring his #24.

Granted, Bonds was an ass but his numbers speak for themselves. The Tigers have a statue of Ty Cobb. Bonds in my opinion may have been the greatest hitter and certainly was the biggest offensive threat of his generation. The OPS numbers are just staggering not to mention the walk rate. Can anyone else recall a player getting intentially walked with the bases loaded other than Bonds?

I don't think the Pirates should. He is a Giant as he played 15 years in San Francisco. I think he is the best player of all time.

He won 7 MVPs. In 22 years, he was in the top five in MVP voting 12 times (he also has 8th, 12th and 24th in voting).

(He should have won three MVPs for the Pirates)
johnfluharty

ugh, BB

Post by johnfluharty »

757E767A7F7E652026516870797E7E3F727E110 wrote: Okay, but do they have to do it when the Pirates are there?

Yeah, it is perfect.  The two teams he played for.  I wouldn't think of it as "rubbing it in".  Is that what you think?

I agree. If they are going to do it, they might as well let the Pirates be involved. We drafted him, developed him, and gave him his start in the majors.
DemDog

ugh, BB

Post by DemDog »

3A31393530312A6F691E273F363131703D315E0 wrote: I wonder if the Pirates would ever consider retiring his #24.

I don't think the Pirates should.  He is a Giant as he played 15 years in San Francisco.  [highlight]I think he is the best player of all time.  [/highlight]

He won 7 MVPs. In 22 years, he was in the top five in MVP voting 12 times (he also has 8th, 12th and 24th in voting).

(He should have won three MVPs for the Pirates)

My lord Dog you have out done yourself with that statement. The best ever was Geroge Herman Ruth

He did it all led the majors in lifetime HRs until the steroid era came around, won 20 games twice and pitched over 300 innings twice, won 7 WS titles, lifetime WAR 20 pts higher than Bonds, OPS 20 pts higher than Bonds.

Now explain to me how Bonds is the best ever. It will be an interesting explanation no doubt. Bonds is one of the best ever but not better than Bonds.
SCBucco

ugh, BB

Post by SCBucco »

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Dog, but in no way shape or form do I think the Bucs should retire his jersey. He spent most of his career in SF. He would go in the HOF (if voted in) as a Giant. No need to honor him at all.