Pittsburgh Media - Bell to RF

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I know it is a fine line to what to ask Hurdle, Huntington but I am really confused why Bell hasn't been moved to RF yet.

I wish someone in the media would push them for a real answer. I did hear Hurdle say something that Bell is our first baseman. But there was no follow up question or a real answer as in why.

Where are the newspaper articles? Where are the tweets? I really don't understand this. I don't even know how much better Bell would be in RF, but he has more experience than the guys playing there now combined. Also, the guys playing RF are better defensive 1B than Bell.

We need to start taking signs to PNC Park. This is a quick, easy fix in my opinion. Yeah, it might set Bell back a little, but he would be helping the team now.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't know. See where you're coming from, but Bell is one of the players that has a chance to be any good so why screw with him again? Don't think he'll be any better at RF than Osuna. Bell's actually finally starting to look pretty okay at first.
PMike

Post by PMike »

Exactly, Sammy. He finally looks solid at first base. I understand the desire, but it would be a temporary move in the end. His future is at first base.

Dog, do you really think taking signs to PNC Park is going to make Clint Hurdle move him to the OF? Really? If Hurdle is such a weak leader that he changes his methods because of some signs, he should be fired yesterday.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

110C282A24410 wrote: Exactly, Sammy.  He finally looks solid at first base.  I understand the desire, but it would be a temporary move in the end.  His future is at first base.

Dog, do you really think taking signs to PNC Park is going to make Clint Hurdle move him to the OF?  Really?  If Hurdle is such a weak leader that he changes his methods because of some signs, he should be fired yesterday.

It is still better for the team. Harrison moved to 3B. Freese moved to 1B. McCutchen moved to RF. Polanco moved to LF. All these moves were made to make the team better, right? Things changed. Need to adapt to the change.

Its not a knock on Bell at 1B either. I think he has been fine there. Not great, but good enough. I do think Jaso and Osuna are better at 1B. If Bell and one of them are in the line up, it makes sense.

Signs or the media shouldn't matter. But it could bring some answers.
PMike

Post by PMike »

3239313D3839226761162F373E3939783539560 wrote: Exactly, Sammy.  He finally looks solid at first base.  I understand the desire, but it would be a temporary move in the end.  His future is at first base.

Dog, do you really think taking signs to PNC Park is going to make Clint Hurdle move him to the OF?  Really?  If Hurdle is such a weak leader that he changes his methods because of some signs, he should be fired yesterday.

It is still better for the team.  Harrison moved to 3B.  Freese moved to 1B.  McCutchen moved to RF.  Polanco moved to LF.  All these moves were made to make the team better, right?  Things changed.  Need to adapt to the change.

Its not a knock on Bell at 1B either.  I think he has been fine there.  Not great, but good enough.  I do think Jaso and Osuna are better at 1B.  If Bell and one of them are in the line up, it makes sense.

Signs or the media shouldn't matter.  But it could bring some answers. 

Those are fair points. I think they Pirates look at Bell as a lot more tenuous fielder than all of the others. He's never been strong anywhere. He finally looks good at first. I think they are hesitant to mess with that. All of those others have been good and looked comfortable anywhere they've played. Or, at least haven't looked as uncomfortable as Bell looked last year at first base.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I hear ya Dog and I share your frustration about how the season is going. It is a major shipwreck in Bucco land.

But I also think that you are panicking as an attempt to get the season turned around. Yes, Bell might work in RF but who plays 1B?

I seem to think that Bell is progressing very well at 1B. Still has some learning to make plays instinctively but that will come with more time at the position and this is what is best in the long term. Moving him to RF on a temporary basis will not do him or the Buccos and good right now.

Moving Bell there would create other problems defensively as you should understand and that the Buccos don't need right now.

I do wish though not just for myself but also for you that the team would get things fixed and become a serious playoff contender again. It's diehard fans like us that deserve the best team possible.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

04193D3F31540 wrote: Exactly, Sammy.  He finally looks solid at first base.  I understand the desire, but it would be a temporary move in the end.  His future is at first base.

It is still better for the team.  Harrison moved to 3B.  Freese moved to 1B.  McCutchen moved to RF.  Polanco moved to LF.  All these moves were made to make the team better, right?  Things changed.  Need to adapt to the change.

Its not a knock on Bell at 1B either.  I think he has been fine there.  Not great, but good enough.  I do think Jaso and Osuna are better at 1B.  If Bell and one of them are in the line up, it makes sense.

Signs or the media shouldn't matter.  But it could bring some answers. 

Those are fair points.  I think they Pirates look at Bell as a lot more tenuous fielder than all of the others.  He's never been strong anywhere.  He finally looks good at first.  I think they are hesitant to mess with that.  All of those others have been good and looked comfortable anywhere they've played.  Or, at least haven't looked as uncomfortable as Bell looked last year at first base.
I agree. I was under the impression that Bell had been merely passable in the OF. Hardly a gold glover. But he's looked fine at 1B. Last year Jaso was being replaced for defense at 1B in late innings. So why assume they would be better with him at 1B over Bell? Moving Bell to RF might even weaken 1B with little improvement in RF.

Going north from ST it was obvious Jaso had no role. Not a good hitter. Little power. Not good at 1B and not an outfielder. If Pirates management is going to make a move, I would rather see a real outfielder obtained and Jaso cut rather than moving Bell to RF. Even when we thought they would have Kang and Marte, Jaso's presence on the bench made little sense. Now that there is a real need for another outfielder, it makes less sense. Every team (except the Pirates) carries reserve outfielders. Doesn't seem like it would require a major deal to obtain one of those and let him play a lot of RF for the Bucs.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I see a few "good" options.

1. Acquire someone

2. Call up Meadows because at least he's currently doing half of the job (I'm not in favor of this).

3. Tread water until some guys get back (not that Frazier is any great shakes in the field but he'll improve the lineup).

4. Decide that considering all of the other things going on in the team, fat lotta difference fixing RF will make. Might as well go with what we've got because there's no point investing too much in a season that isn't going anywhere anyhow.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I disagree, Possum.

Osuna or Jaso will play 1B if Bell is in the line up. They are doing it now to spell Bell. First base is their (new - Jaso)natural position. How would it create other defensive problems? It would improve one position for sure (1B) and possible another (RF).

It is not a panic move. They are already in the line up together now. Bell is progressing at 1B. Would 50 games in the outfield really hinder that much development?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

You make a point Dog but what you are missing is the long term here. When Marte, Cutch, Polanco are all on the field at the same time which cant come soon enough for me where is Bell going to play? Why first base of course. If he gets more experience and becomes more instinctive like I said in my last post we won't need Clint's favorite player to play defense at 1B anymore. He's worthless anyway.

I suppose that you would also like to see Glasnow moved to long relief or maybe even into the late innings relief and sign some over the hill starter to replace him until he learns how to pitch.