Fathers Day 2020

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Fathers Day 2020

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there. It is hard for me to grasp that no baseball is being played on Fathers Day.  A couple of my  favorite Pirate Fathers Day stories involve a game in 1962 in which my Dad, Mom and sister attended. It was my second Pirates game that I ever attended, I believe it was against Milwaukee, and third string catcher Cal Newman hit a home run. Fifty eight years ago, I still remember that homer. The other Fathers Day game I remember was either in 2001 or 2002 the Bucs played the Indians and they beat them 1-0 with a walkoff hit in the ninth. I think the winning hit was by Aram, and Giles scored, or it could have been a hit by Giles and Aram scored. It was a great game if you like a low scoring game.
Bobster21

Fathers Day 2020

Post by Bobster21 »

242829727B727A77706F75420 wrote: Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there. It is hard for me to grasp that no baseball is being played on Fathers Day.  A couple of my  favorite Pirate Fathers Day stories involve a game in 1962 in which my Dad, Mom and sister attended. It was my second Pirates game that I ever attended, I believe it was against Milwaukee, and third string catcher Cal Newman hit a home run. Fifty eight years ago, I still remember that homer. The other Fathers Day game I remember was either in 2001 or 2002 the Bucs played the Indians and they beat them 1-0 with a walkoff hit in the ninth. I think the winning hit was by Aram, and Giles scored, or it could have been a hit by Giles and Aram scored. It was a great game if you like a low scoring game.
OMG! I never realized that 1962 game was Father's Day! My father took me and it was my first Pirate game. Haddix went 9 to beat Spahn 7-3 with 10 Ks. Neeman hit his only HR and 3 of his 5 RBIs of his brief Pirate career. The game featured HOFers Spahn, Aaron, Clemente and Maz. Bob Uecker PH and struck out. Bob Skinner had 4 hits until replaced by Howie Goss. Clemente, Hoak and Neeman each had 2 hits and Stuart didn't even make an error. :)

Boxscore and PBP June 17, 1962 

Pittsburgh Post Gazette June 18, 1962
Bobster21

Fathers Day 2020

Post by Bobster21 »

And let's not forget Pirate great Ralph Kiner who, as a tongue-tied Mets broadcaster, once said, “It's Father's Day today, so to all you fathers out there, happy birthday!”
fjk090852-7

Fathers Day 2020

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6E434E5F58495E1E1D2C0 wrote: Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there. It is hard for me to grasp that no baseball is being played on Fathers Day.  A couple of my  favorite Pirate Fathers Day stories involve a game in 1962 in which my Dad, Mom and sister attended. It was my second Pirates game that I ever attended, I believe it was against Milwaukee, and third string catcher Cal Newman hit a home run. Fifty eight years ago, I still remember that homer. The other Fathers Day game I remember was either in 2001 or 2002 the Bucs played the Indians and they beat them 1-0 with a walkoff hit in the ninth. I think the winning hit was by Aram, and Giles scored, or it could have been a hit by Giles and Aram scored. It was a great game if you like a low scoring game.
OMG! I never realized that 1962 game was Father's Day! My father took me and it was my first Pirate game. Haddix went 9 to beat Spahn 7-3 with 10 Ks. Neeman hit his only HR and 3 of his 5 RBIs of his brief Pirate career. The game featured HOFers Spahn, Aaron, Clemente and Maz. Bob Uecker PH and struck out. Bob Skinner had 4 hits until replaced by Howie Goss. Clemente, Hoak and Neeman each had 2 hits and Stuart didn't even make an error. :)

What a great memory you have. I knew the Bucs won , but couldn’t remember the score, and all the other facts you listed. I was not yet 10 years old when I attended that Fathers Day game.
Bobster21

Fathers Day 2020

Post by Bobster21 »

757978232A232B26213E24130 wrote: Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there. It is hard for me to grasp that no baseball is being played on Fathers Day.  A couple of my  favorite Pirate Fathers Day stories involve a game in 1962 in which my Dad, Mom and sister attended. It was my second Pirates game that I ever attended, I believe it was against Milwaukee, and third string catcher Cal Newman hit a home run. Fifty eight years ago, I still remember that homer. The other Fathers Day game I remember was either in 2001 or 2002 the Bucs played the Indians and they beat them 1-0 with a walkoff hit in the ninth. I think the winning hit was by Aram, and Giles scored, or it could have been a hit by Giles and Aram scored. It was a great game if you like a low scoring game.

What a great memory you have. I knew the Bucs won , but couldn’t remember the score, and all the other facts you listed. I was not yet 10 years old when I attended that Fathers Day game.
I've kept a boxscore out of the newspaper for years so it's not all original memory. I do recall the excitement of seeing my first HR when Neeman hit it. I recall it being pulled to LF. I don't remember where we sat other than the trajectory of the ball going past us so we must have been on the 3B/LF side, otherwise the ball would have appeared to be going away from us. I remember being disappointed that Smoky Burgess wasn't in the lineup but Neeman made up for it nicely. For some reason I remember Howie Goss replacing Skinner. Skinner had a single, double and triple so when he "only" singled in the 8th with the score 7-1 and unlikely to bat again for the cycle he was lifted.