More Bucs Trivia . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by DemDog »

In 1961 the NL expansion draft was held to stock the NY Mets and the Houston Colt 45s for the 1962 season.  Can you name the two former Pirates who led each team in HRs in the 1962 season?

In that same draft where was one former Buc who was also drafted in the 1960 AL expansion draft which stocked the LA Angels and Washington Senators (now the Texas Rangers)? Who is he?

fjk090852-7

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I will guess Frank Thomas was the home run leader for the Mets, but a I am stumped for the leader on the Colt 45s.
ArnoldRothstein

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I looked up my guess for a home run leader - Wally Westlake, and was way wrong . He was out of the majors for quite a while by then. Surprised that one of the correct leaders was still around the majors in 1962.
DemDog

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by DemDog »

0D3E222320281E2338243F382925224C0 wrote: I looked up my guess for a home run leader - Wally Westlake, and was way wrong . He was out of the majors for quite a while by then.  Surprised that one of the correct leaders was still around the majors in 1962.

You'll be even more surprised at the other leader being around in 1962.
DemDog

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by DemDog »

I guess nobody was able to find the second answer to the trivia question. Besides Frank Thomas, the other was Roman Mejias a young Cuban OF. Below is his info from Baseball Reference.

Roman Mejias
ArnoldRothstein

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Mejias kept playing until at least 1966, when he made a brief appearance in Japan.

I didn't realize that Mejias (a dark-skinned Cuban) joined the team at the same time Clemente did, and started in right on Opening Day while Clemente sat. Mejias, Clemente, and Felix Montemayor of Mexico made up an all-Latin outfield in some games.
BucsFaninGA

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Great Question Possum! I was away for Thanksgiving. Look forward to more Bucs Trivia in the days to come. Hope you and all Bucco Fans had a great holiday!

Beat'em Bucs 8-)
DemDog

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by DemDog »

I do have a few more in the works. Maybe try to do one once a week.
BucsFaninGA

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I will be looking forward to seeing your posts!

Best of Everything, Bucs Fan in GA 8-)
Bobster21

More Bucs Trivia . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

1E3F371E353D5A0 wrote: In 1961 the NL expansion draft was held to stock the NY Mets and the Houston Colt 45s for the 1962 season.  Can you name the two former Pirates who led each team in HRs in the 1962 season?

In that same draft where was one former Buc who was also drafted in the 1960 AL expansion draft which stocked the LA Angels and Washington Senators (now the Texas Rangers)?  Who is he?
I see no one has answered this one yet. By "where was" do you mean which team selected him in that draft?