Who Pounded The Table To Acquire Gonzalez

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am not sure he was accurate with his scouting report. I would remove Gonzalez from the roster this offseason, and question the scout’s ability.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

The Pirates won't have to worry about a roster crunch this off season.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The same people who wanted Gonzalez also thought they had a wasted #1 pick in Newman who was to be groomed to fill a utility role. Gonzalez was a utility afterthought to the Indians. So they were delighted to swap him for Luplow who is hitting .271 with 11 HRs this year for them. In ST this year Hurdle said Gonzalez' fielding was erratic. So he was given the SS job. And he can't hit. This organization has no idea what it has or what it's getting from other teams. Hence the Archer trade fiasco. These people cannot build the Pirates into a winner. They have no clue and are entirely incompetent.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would really like to disagree with you, Bobster. I really would. Unfortunately, that all seems absolutely right, and what a sad state of affairs as a result.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Hatleib is not a good pitcher, but he deserved a better fate than Gonzalez being unable to track and catch a high fly ball to deep short/shallow left.

I don't believe I have ever seen a major league team have so much trouble with fly balls that should be outs.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

537F77707B5C6B7D6D1E0 wrote: Hatleib is not a good pitcher, but he deserved a better fate than Gonzalez being unable to track and catch a high fly ball to deep short/shallow left. 

I don't believe I have ever seen a major league team have so much trouble with fly balls that should be outs.   
Maybe we should buy them a fungo bat for Chrstmas. :)
PMike

Post by PMike »

406D60717667703033020 wrote: The same people who wanted Gonzalez also thought they had a wasted #1 pick in Newman who was to be groomed to fill a utility role. Gonzalez was a utility afterthought to the Indians. So they were delighted to swap him for Luplow who is hitting .271 with 11 HRs this year for them. In ST this year Hurdle said Gonzalez' fielding was erratic. So he was given the SS job. And he can't hit. This organization has no idea what it has or what it's getting from other teams. Hence the Archer trade fiasco. These people cannot build the Pirates into a winner. They have no clue and are entirely incompetent. 

You have posited this theory a bunch of times in numerous threads. You may be right. That may have been NH's theory. Or there are other possibilities. For example, the FO may have watched Newman REALLY struggle last year when he came to the majors. Anticipating that he would be a big piece of the future, but not wanting to rush him or make his the starting SS on their time over his development time, they went out and got Gonzalez to be that guy until Newman was completely ready. They didn't give up much for Gonzalez. If Gonzalez worked out, they could make him the utility guy or trade him. Just because they acquired Gonzalez and made him the starter out of ST doesn't mean they had moved on from Newman. After the really good year he has had, it is hard to remember how bad he looked at the end of last year.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

7E6347454B2E0 wrote: The same people who wanted Gonzalez also thought they had a wasted #1 pick in Newman who was to be groomed to fill a utility role. Gonzalez was a utility afterthought to the Indians. So they were delighted to swap him for Luplow who is hitting .271 with 11 HRs this year for them. In ST this year Hurdle said Gonzalez' fielding was erratic. So he was given the SS job. And he can't hit. This organization has no idea what it has or what it's getting from other teams. Hence the Archer trade fiasco. These people cannot build the Pirates into a winner. They have no clue and are entirely incompetent. 

You have posited this theory a bunch of times in numerous threads.  You may be right. That may have been NH's theory.  Or there are other possibilities.  For example, the FO may have watched Newman REALLY struggle last year when he came to the majors.  Anticipating that he would be a big piece of the future, but not wanting to rush him or make his the starting SS on their time over his development time, they went out and got Gonzalez to be that guy until Newman was completely ready.  They didn't give up much for Gonzalez.  If Gonzalez worked out, they could make him the utility guy or trade him.  Just because they acquired Gonzalez and made him the starter out of ST doesn't mean they had moved on from Newman.  After the really good year he has had, it is hard to remember how bad he looked at the end of last year.

That is part of my problem with the FO and coaches. Newman may have looked bad but he is/was young and have some patience. I kind of get acquiring Gonzalez but he is the type of player that they could have easily just signed for a defensive ss. Also, when it was clear that he wasn't very good, they still gave him the starting ss job. But for him being injured, who knows how much of a shot Newman would have gotten.

notes34

Post by notes34 »

44597D7F71140 wrote: The same people who wanted Gonzalez also thought they had a wasted #1 pick in Newman who was to be groomed to fill a utility role. Gonzalez was a utility afterthought to the Indians. So they were delighted to swap him for Luplow who is hitting .271 with 11 HRs this year for them. In ST this year Hurdle said Gonzalez' fielding was erratic. So he was given the SS job. And he can't hit. This organization has no idea what it has or what it's getting from other teams. Hence the Archer trade fiasco. These people cannot build the Pirates into a winner. They have no clue and are entirely incompetent. 

You have posited this theory a bunch of times in numerous threads.  You may be right. That may have been NH's theory.  Or there are other possibilities.  For example, the FO may have watched Newman REALLY struggle last year when he came to the majors.  Anticipating that he would be a big piece of the future, but not wanting to rush him or make his the starting SS on their time over his development time, they went out and got Gonzalez to be that guy until Newman was completely ready.  They didn't give up much for Gonzalez.  If Gonzalez worked out, they could make him the utility guy or trade him.  Just because they acquired Gonzalez and made him the starter out of ST doesn't mean they had moved on from Newman.  After the really good year he has had, it is hard to remember how bad he looked at the end of last year.
Luplow is playing well, so I'm not sure I agree with you. Also there were numerous all glove SS available that didn't require giving up a useful piece to acquire.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6B7652505E3B0 wrote: The same people who wanted Gonzalez also thought they had a wasted #1 pick in Newman who was to be groomed to fill a utility role. Gonzalez was a utility afterthought to the Indians. So they were delighted to swap him for Luplow who is hitting .271 with 11 HRs this year for them. In ST this year Hurdle said Gonzalez' fielding was erratic. So he was given the SS job. And he can't hit. This organization has no idea what it has or what it's getting from other teams. Hence the Archer trade fiasco. These people cannot build the Pirates into a winner. They have no clue and are entirely incompetent. 

It's not a theory. It's a fact that they traded another prospect to acquire Gonzalez and began grooming Newman in ST to be a utility player. It's also a fact that Gonzalez has been no more than a utility player in 3 partial seasons for Cleveland, has played more 2B than SS in the majors, has been groomed in the minors to play all INF-OF positions rather than concentrating on SS, and was cited in ST by Hurdle as being erratic defensively. So if they were just waiting for Newman to develop as a SS in another year or so (despite having Tucker in AAA for the same purpose), why hand the SS job to Gonzalez? It's not as if Gonzalez was an established SS who they could plug in for a year and know what to expect. Newman was out of options, had to remain on the team and, despite a poor showing last year in a SSS, seemed no less qualified to start at SS than Gonzalez. And it was beneficial to see what Newman could do in the year they had with Tucker in AAA. And when Gonzalez was injured and they were forced to make Newman the everyday SS, they saw him emerge as one of the season's bright spots even though they had previously opted to give that job to another questionable player in Gonzalez. I'm not making this up.