Will The Bucs Make A Move Before The Christmas Break

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

In the past the time between Christmas and New Years Day has been very slow for MLB. Since the Winter Meetings,several teams have signed some free agents who probably would fall in the Pirates payroll limits. They signed a catcher a few days ago, but other than that, they have been very quiet this month. Possibly they are waiting to trade Marte or Frazier to see what they get in return, and then fill in the roster at that time. I definitely think they need an additional outfielder if they trade Marte or not. Also a couple of veteran pitchers should be on their list. Hopefully they don’t wait too long before players within their salary range are off the board.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

I think once again we will all be disappointed with the lack of moves.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

If they are in a rebuild, and it seems they are, I don't think veteran pitchers are in their sights. Trades of Marte or Frazier or anyone else will likely yield only prospects and any other acquisitions will be to sign nontendered players (as they did with Maile) or dumpster dives in hopes of picking up something that eventually proves useful. So I don't think we should be expecting any meaningful additions to the MLB roster this year. A rebuild means restocking the farm system and letting young players develop at the MLB level. IMHO, that's what this season will be about.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Ken Rosenthal from The Athletic is reporting this morning that the Mets are "...not too motivated on Marte", and progress in talks with the Pirates is minimal. Doesn't bode well for a deal involving our best trade chip any time real soon.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

705440484D210 wrote: Ken Rosenthal from The Athletic is reporting this morning that the Mets are "...not too motivated on Marte", and progress in talks with the Pirates is minimal. Doesn't bode well for a deal involving our best trade chip any time real soon.
There should not be any hurry to trade him if the return isn't good enough. Teams that may not be interested now might feel differently during the season when they lose an outfielder to injury or another player doesn't do as well as expected.
Quail

Post by Quail »

664B46575041561615240 wrote: Ken Rosenthal from The Athletic is reporting this morning that the Mets are "...not too motivated on Marte", and progress in talks with the Pirates is minimal. Doesn't bode well for a deal involving our best trade chip any time real soon.
There should not be any hurry to trade him if the return isn't good enough. Teams that may not be interested now might feel differently during the season when they lose an outfielder to injury or another player doesn't do as well as expected.

Yup. I advocate patience. Chances are the best part of the return for Marte will be for pieces that won't be contributing at the Major League level in 2020 anyway, so waiting to maximize that return makes the most sense.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

Totally agree that patience is the best course. I am for trading Marte but the return has to be good. He can be a frustrating player but I think he is still a really good player and don't want to sell low.

I tend to be an optimist but with the coaching and GM change, now would be a good time for a big signing in the $20m range. They would still have a low payroll but it could at least give some hope. At least as long as it isn't a player that sucks and they are just doing it for PR. :)
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4840435442424E210 wrote: Totally agree that patience is the best course.  I am for trading Marte but the return has to be good.  He can be a frustrating player but I think he is still a really good player and don't want to sell low.

I tend to be an optimist but with the coaching and GM change, now would be a good time for a big signing in the $20m range.  They would still have a low payroll but it could at least give some hope.  At least as long as it isn't a player that sucks and they are just doing it for PR.   :) 

I wonder if new management has resulted in increased season ticket sales. No doubt tickets were going to be a difficult sell if NH stayed.

I guess business ticket sales won't be impacted much but those bought by individual fans must be a hard sell.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

557372657363100 wrote: Totally agree that patience is the best course.  I am for trading Marte but the return has to be good.  He can be a frustrating player but I think he is still a really good player and don't want to sell low.

I tend to be an optimist but with the coaching and GM change, now would be a good time for a big signing in the $20m range.  They would still have a low payroll but it could at least give some hope.  At least as long as it isn't a player that sucks and they are just doing it for PR.   :) 

I wonder if new management has resulted in increased season ticket sales.  No doubt tickets were going to be a difficult sell if NH stayed.

I guess business ticket sales won't be impacted much but those bought by individual fans must be a hard sell.
I think with Travis Williams on board their marketing programs have changed. I have been contacted by e mail and phone by a representative inquiring about purchasing tickets. In the past I had a small ticket plan, and at 3 Rivers a Fan Flex Plan for a few seasons, and now they have contacted me as to any interest in purchasing 2020 tickets.
BenM

Post by BenM »

644243544252210 wrote: Totally agree that patience is the best course.  I am for trading Marte but the return has to be good.  He can be a frustrating player but I think he is still a really good player and don't want to sell low.

I wonder if new management has resulted in increased season ticket sales.  No doubt tickets were going to be a difficult sell if NH stayed.

Don't forget, they have a new TV contract that will almost certainly be larger than the previous one.