Cole

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Kovalwat

Cole

Post by Kovalwat »

This is what Doofus salary dumped!

"Gerrit Cole dominated the Diamondbacks on Friday, striking out 16 in a one-hit shutout.

rucker59@gmail.com

Cole

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6541584F42594F5A2E0 wrote: This is what Doofus salary dumped!

"Gerrit Cole dominated the Diamondbacks on Friday, striking out 16 in a one-hit shutout.

I figured he’d be better. But I’m stunned at how dominant he’s been.

Nutting didn’t keep Cole from being dominant in Pittsburgh - I think it’s a fair Q to ask: why does Cole look like a different guy in an Astro’s uni?
Quail

Cole

Post by Quail »

717660686671363A43646E626A6F2D606C6E030 wrote: This is what Doofus salary dumped!

I figured he’d be better.  But I’m stunned at how dominant he’s been.

Nutting didn’t keep Cole from being dominant in Pittsburgh - I think it’s a fair Q to ask: why does Cole look like a different guy in an Astro’s uni?

I have serious doubts as to whether Cole would have been the pitcher we're seeing with Houston if he'd remained a Pirate. He'd been a mediocre starter for the last two seasons with the Bucs, and I wasn't terribly upset to see them trade him for a potential long term 3rd base solution and some pitching. His Success with the Astros is a lot more damning to the Pirate coaching staff/pitching philosophy than to Nutting's tight wallet or Huntington's GM acumen.
timozbuck

Cole

Post by timozbuck »

103420282D410 wrote: This is what Doofus salary dumped!

I figured he’d be better.  But I’m stunned at how dominant he’s been.

I have serious doubts as to whether Cole would have been the pitcher we're seeing with Houston if he'd remained a Pirate. He'd been a mediocre starter for the last two seasons with the Bucs, and I wasn't terribly upset to see them trade him for a potential long term 3rd base solution and some pitching. His Success with the Astros is a lot more damning to the Pirate coaching staff/pitching philosophy than to Nutting's tight wallet or Huntington's GM acumen.

There is no doubt in my mind that Cole would’ve been the same barely above average Cole had he remained in Pittsburgh. Coaching and/or management philosophy is to blame here. Since nutting refuses to spend, they must make up for it in other areas (coaching, analytics, DRAFTING).....big failure lately.

Also, now Morton hits 99 mph and looks like a legit cy young contender?!?

notes34

Cole

Post by notes34 »

Morton had upper 90's stuff when he was here. He just wasn't allowed to throw a 4 seam fastball.
Kovalwat

Cole

Post by Kovalwat »

6C6D7667713136020 wrote: Morton had upper 90's stuff when he was here. He just wasn't allowed to throw a 4 seam fastball.
--

The reason that Cole and Morton were salary dumped is the same and it has nothing to do with 4 seam fastballs. It has everything to do with BOB wanting to save money to deposit in the First National Bank of Wheeling.
timozbuck

Cole

Post by timozbuck »

36372C3D2B6B6C580 wrote: Morton had upper 90's stuff when he was here. He just wasn't allowed to throw a 4 seam fastball.

I don’t remember Morton throwing 99 mph while he was here....ever.
Quail

Cole

Post by Quail »

6C4851464B504653270 wrote: Morton had upper 90's stuff when he was here. He just wasn't allowed to throw a 4 seam fastball.
--

The reason that Cole and Morton were salary dumped is the same and it has nothing to do with 4 seam fastballs.  It has everything to do with BOB wanting to save money to deposit in the First National Bank of Wheeling.

Well, we all understand that Nutting's wallet influences, limits and commands every move this organization makes. It's a given; like death and taxes. Nothing short of a mass rebellion of pitchfork and torch carrying fans led by the ghost of Art Rooney is going to manifest any change in this situation.

However, I'm sure Huntington has the final say in which particular salaries get dumped when the decree to save money arrives from on high. It reflects very badly on Huntington and his staff of coaches, scouts, etc. that they failed to correctly evaluate what they had in Cole and Morton. They may have still dumped those salaries, but if those two were pitching up to their abilities while the Bucs had them the returns would have been much sweeter.
Speedloader88

Cole

Post by Speedloader88 »

46627B6C617A6C790D0 wrote: Morton had upper 90's stuff when he was here. He just wasn't allowed to throw a 4 seam fastball.
--

The reason that Cole and Morton were salary dumped is the same and it has nothing to do with 4 seam fastballs.  It has everything to do with BOB wanting to save money to deposit in the First National Bank of Wheeling.

Its Wesbanco bank
SammyKhalifa

Cole

Post by SammyKhalifa »

42667F68657E687D090 wrote: Morton had upper 90's stuff when he was here. He just wasn't allowed to throw a 4 seam fastball.
--

So you were mad when they traded Morton, right?