WHAT ???

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

WHAT ???

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This is from a reporter in LA with NBC LA named Michael Duarte. Posted on twitter this morning.

Sources: #Dodgers having ‘active and ongoing discussions’ with #Pirates for Starling Marte. They’ve discussed a deal in previous weeks as well. Not known what other players are involved, or if teams are close to a deal. Marte is under contract with Pittsburgh through 2021.

If this is true, WHAT ARE WE DOING ????????
mouse

WHAT ???

Post by mouse »

I can see where he might be a trade candidate in a July period, but not at this point of the year. I'm not seeing that rumor elsewhere so it may just be speculation by that commentator. If they were to make a trade for Marte, it would have to be for a pretty good return.
OrlandoMerced

WHAT ???

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I saw Pederson has been brought up in trade talks, so maybe he would be part of the return. They also have verdugo, we would get someone good back.
Bobster21

WHAT ???

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm always skeptical about trade rumors. If the LA GM dials NH and asks about Marte they are in "trade talks." However, while Marte is probably the most talented player left on the roster, he can also be frustrating with an apparent lack of focus. I'm sure NH would listen to offers for any player on the roster but I doubt he's actively trying to move Marte. And the payroll is getting so low that it might actually be embarrassing to subtract another10.3 million.
gileszee

WHAT ???

Post by gileszee »

The plan is to clear more payroll so we can sign Harper and Machado.  LOL. This front office is a joke. Like usual we will get fleeced by the team we are trading with, in this case the Dodgers. Marte for Joc Pederson and Rich Hill? Meah...Verdugo is not enough either. Walk away Neal.
mouse

WHAT ???

Post by mouse »

I was just listening (3:00 Monday afternoon) to MLB Network (Ken Rosenthal) went over Dodgers situation for center and there was no mention of Marte, even as a distant possibility. I would think if there were anything to this story he would at least have heard of it.
Ecbucs

WHAT ???

Post by Ecbucs »

this was question in MLB trade rumors chat and here is response:

2:02 The Pirates seem like a team that will listen to any proposal, which is a good way to operate. But it's just really hard to see why they'd move their starting CF, with three yeras of below-market control, unless they were completely bowled over with an offer that would be stupid to refuse. I also don't know why a team would make such an offer while A.J. Pollock is available for just money (and a lost draft pick).
mouse

WHAT ???

Post by mouse »

The reported reason according to that LA person was money -- Marte's salary is significantly less than A. J. Pollock's demand.
rucker59@gmail.com

WHAT ???

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

The FAN reported this afternoon. I barely heard it, and may be an wrong, but I think the station said the Dodgers and Pirates in discussions involving Marte - that would male it sound like there really is a conversation at a minimum.

But I can’t see such a trade with the Dodgers. They don’t have a need that would justify the “cost” back to the Pirates.

However, I would be willing to consider a trade: a significant return is possible this year (3years remaining). Trade Marte for a very good return and use the money plus the rest of whatever Neal has for payroll to acquire a SS and a quality pitcher (Gio Gonzalez???).

SCBucco

WHAT ???

Post by SCBucco »

It wouldn't stun me if he is dealt. It's not like the Pirates are trying to win. I mean the Reds have been way more impressive this offseason in plugging holes and they have the same resources.

The three names associated with the Marte deal I've seen are Stripling, Verdugo and Pederson.