Post by Osushawn »

1) Bell won’t hit another jack the rest of the year

2) Marte will lead the team in Hr’s

3) Osuna takes over 3b by end of season

4) Bell gets traded in off season
mouse

Hot takes

Post by mouse »

No. 4 is or should be a real possibility. Bell seems like a really nice guy and one you can certainly wish the best for, but he's likely better as a DH. The Pirates keep accepting his defense because he can hit home runs, but by the time you subtract out the runs allowed by poor defense, his results are not the best option available. Osuna gives better net results.
fjk090852-7

Hot takes

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I too believe the #4 bullet point is a possibility. Bell could probably bring back a decent return from a team in the American League. Osuna is performing very well, and he is a much better first baseman. Another reason for a possible Bell trade is that he is represented by Scott Boras, so it is a long shot for him signing with the Bucs when he reaches free agency. I just thought of another situation which involved a former Bucs slugger who was traded prior to the 1959 season, and that slugger brought in 3 players who were huge additions to the 1960 World Championship Team. Frank Thomas was a Bucs power hitter who was traded for Harvey Haddix, Don Hoak and Smokey Burgess. If the Bucs moved Bell you would hope he would bring back three exceptional players.
Bobster21

Hot takes

Post by Bobster21 »

54564C4A5C390 wrote: No. 4 is or should be a real possibility. Bell seems like a really nice guy and one you can certainly wish the best for, but he's likely better as a DH. The Pirates keep accepting his defense because he can hit home runs, but by the time you subtract out the runs allowed by poor defense, his results are not the best option available. Osuna gives better net results.
I agree. I've always liked Osuna (just not so much his "ability" to track fly balls in the OF). It has to be tough getting limited playing time in the majors after playing every day in the minors but he's doing very well this year. He has power and the more he sees MLB pitching the better he'll adapt. This year has been very encouraging after he was pretty much a forgotten man this year in AAA. He's a very good defensive 1Bman and has taken well to 3B this year. Bell is a liability in the field, was a disappointment last year with the bat and his torrid first half this year now looks more like an aberration than a sign of things to come. I doubt Osuna (or most other humans) could ever have a first half like Bell this year. But I also doubt Bell could be consistent at the plate or ever field adequately. It remains to be seen if Osuna could hit consistently playing regularly. But I would take that chance for the defensive upgrade and, more significantly, the talent that could be added to the roster in a trade of Bell to an A.L. team where he could DH.
CarolinaBucco

Hot takes

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Here's another hot take ...

Our starting pitching next year is going to be a DISASTER. A DISASTER.

Because I'm sure NH won't add anyone other than an aging, previously injured retread or two, and then he'll spend all winter talking about how he feels really good about our "internal options."

I mean seriously, what's our rotation next year? It's going to be a bunch of No. 4 and No. 5 caliber starters. Not a No. 1 in sight. Or a legit No. 2. Or even a legit No. 3.
CTBucco

Hot takes

Post by CTBucco »

6D4F5C414247404F6C5B4D4D412E0 wrote: Here's another hot take ...

Our starting pitching next year is going to be a DISASTER. A DISASTER.

Because I'm sure NH won't add anyone other than an aging, previously injured retread or two, and then he'll spend all winter talking about how he feels really good about our "internal options."

I mean seriously, what's our rotation next year? It's going to be a bunch of No. 4 and No. 5 caliber starters. Not a No. 1 in sight. Or a legit No. 2. Or even a legit No. 3.
Here's the thing. Our starting pitching was largely very good for the 2nd half of last season. Whatever the reasons, Williams has regressed, Archer is worse, Musgrove is miss-hit-miss, Taillon is hurt, Lyles didn't work out. Who knows how it will be next year? It could be better. It absolutely could be a disaster. The guys we had hoped we had developed into ToR starters are gone (Cole, Glasnow) or hurt or "not ready" (Keller). And we know we will not be spending on a bankable commodity. So we're left hoping that NH can find a treasure among the chaff. That's no way to build a contender.
WiffleballHero

Hot takes

Post by WiffleballHero »

Hot take: Ray Searage is not the Pirates' pitching coach in 2020.
GermanTownship

Hot takes

Post by GermanTownship »

None of us will ever see another World Series game played in Pittsburgh. Let's be realistic. Under this ownership, Pittsburgh is finished being a contender or favorite in baseball. Nutting is making way too much money to even consider selling. It's just unrealistic to see teams like the Yankees, Cardinals and Dodgers that always pick lower in the draft, still have stronger farm systems than the Pirates. I'm tired of listening to the lies and excuses from Coonelly and Hunnington. As long as they are still running the show, along with the people that evaluate the draft, this baseball team will continue to be mediocre. The future? Please check the current stats in AAA for Craig, Hayes, and Tucker. This is the future. What a joke.
BenM

Hot takes

Post by BenM »

The new TV contract will not result in any increase in payroll. Instead we will hear phrases like the infamous "financial flexibility" and "We will spend at the appropriate time."
Bobster21

Hot takes

Post by Bobster21 »

7E5952713C0 wrote: The new TV contract will not result in any increase in payroll. Instead we will hear phrases like the infamous "financial flexibility" and "We will spend at the appropriate time."
Remember the 50 million payout from Disney? The Pirates were the only MLB team not to sign a free agent that season. That money went to "upgrading their Dominican academy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NtksEHYtK4