Its Past Noon on August 5 ---

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Do you know where your Pirates are?

They are in the cellar and have no chance of getting out.

They have a starting pitching staff that rarely sees the 5th inning, and there does not appear to be any help coming soon.

They have a bullpen that sports an ERA over 5.00 if you discount Vasquez's heroics.

Their starting position players features an all-star in the 4 hole who hasn't hit a HR for nearly 100 at-bats.

They have a manager who appears not to care.

They have a GM who does not appear to have any constructive plan to right the ship.

And, most disgustingly, they have an owner who sits back and let's it all happen. There likely will be even more fireworks shows next year because there is not much to see on the field.

In 2014 I would not have believed that I would be writing posts like this in 2019. Unfortunately, in 2019, I cannot envision when I will be writing posts about all of the things that are going right.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

456961666D4A7D6B7B080 wrote: Do you know where your Pirates are? 

They are in the cellar and have no chance of getting out.

They have a starting pitching staff that rarely sees the 5th inning, and there does not appear to be any help coming soon.

They have a bullpen that sports an ERA over 5.00 if you discount Vasquez's heroics.

Their starting position players features an all-star in the 4 hole who hasn't hit a HR for nearly 100 at-bats. 

They have a manager who appears not to care.

They have a GM who does not appear to have any constructive plan to right the ship. 

And, most disgustingly, they have an owner who sits back and let's it all happen.   There likely will be even more fireworks shows next year because there is not much to see on the field.

In 2014 I would not have believed that I would be writing posts like this in 2019.  Unfortunately, in 2019, I cannot envision when I will be writing posts about all of the things that are going right.   

That makes two of us who might not be writing posts about all of the good things going right.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I have long since accepted the fact that I root for a team that doesn't seriously try to compete. There should be an asterisk next to their name in the standings (* Not really trying). Of course they prefer to win with whatever cheapo roster they assemble but they know they won't be there in October. Best case scenario is that the fans maintain interest most of the season before mathematical elimination. But I still am drawn to watch the games every day at least until they fall hopelessly behind in the early innings or Joe Block repulses me over the edge.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0C212C3D3A2B3C7C7F4E0 wrote: I have long since accepted the fact that I root for a team that doesn't seriously try to compete. There should be an asterisk next to their name in the standings (* Not really trying). Of course they prefer to win with whatever cheapo roster they assemble but they know they won't be there in October. Best case scenario is that the fans maintain interest most of the season before mathematical elimination. But I still am drawn to watch the games every day at least until they fall hopelessly behind in the early innings or Joe Block repulses me over the edge. 

I still fool myself that the team could try and compete and could be successful every now and then. Otherwise it would be like rooting for a minor league team.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

466061766070030 wrote: I have long since accepted the fact that I root for a team that doesn't seriously try to compete. There should be an asterisk next to their name in the standings (* Not really trying). Of course they prefer to win with whatever cheapo roster they assemble but they know they won't be there in October. Best case scenario is that the fans maintain interest most of the season before mathematical elimination. But I still am drawn to watch the games every day at least until they fall hopelessly behind in the early innings or Joe Block repulses me over the edge. 

I still fool myself that the team could try and compete and could be successful every now and then.  Otherwise it would be like rooting for a minor league team.

Don't knock rooting for a MiLB team. I root and attend games of the WV Black Bears the Bucs low A short season team. They are at .500 and in the thick of a division race in the NYPL. It is hard to imagine that the MLB Buccos are giving the effort like the Black Bears do game in and game out.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

537E73626574632320110 wrote: I have long since accepted the fact that I root for a team that doesn't seriously try to compete. There should be an asterisk next to their name in the standings (* Not really trying). Of course they prefer to win with whatever cheapo roster they assemble but they know they won't be there in October. Best case scenario is that the fans maintain interest most of the season before mathematical elimination. But I still am drawn to watch the games every day at least until they fall hopelessly behind in the early innings or Joe Block repulses me over the edge. 

I have never been sucked into the "we are trying to compete for a title" comments by our owner and GM, therefore, my expectations are low. The good - I'm a Pens and Patriots fan. The horrid - Pirate and Suns fan. Too bad ownership is garbage for both of my horrid.