Toronto May Be Good Trading Partner With Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just read that Jonathan Villar is changing his representation in this his free agent year. According to sources Toronto was interested in the Bucs pitching at the trading deadline. If Villar leaves through free agency, possibly a package of Frazier and one of either Kuhl or Musgrove could get a deal done with the Blue Jays. Ben Cherington and Steve Sanders would have knowledge of the Blue Jays System.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Was reading on the Bucs site that supposedly the Pirates were contacted about dealing some of their pitchers.

With the success the Rays have shown, it's thought teams are going to look harder at their type of model and how they use their relievers. Turns out Cherington not pulling the trigger was a good thing, because the same interest will be there for some of our pitchers, and may bring back more value this time around.

For once in a long time, I'll be really watching what the Pirates do this offseason. I think it will be interesting to say the least. I think dealing Polanco away and paying a BIG chunk of his salary is going to be their number one priority. That might be part of any deal, especially with an AL club.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0C2A2D38313D2A3C345F0 wrote: Was reading on the Bucs site that supposedly the Pirates were contacted about dealing some of their pitchers.

With the success the Rays have shown, it's thought teams are going to look harder at their type of model and how they use their relievers. Turns out Cherington not pulling the trigger was a good thing, because the same interest will be there for some of our pitchers, and may bring back more value this time around.

For once in a long time, I'll be really watching what the Pirates do this offseason. I think it will be interesting to say the least. I think dealing Polanco away and paying a BIG chunk of his salary is going to be their number one priority. That might be part of any deal, especially with an AL club.

I think dealing Polanco to get rid of his salary is a losing proposition. That means less talent comes back. Its not like the Pirates are going to take any money saved from not having to pay Polanco for other players.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I didnt say they would get rid of salary on polanco I said I feel they would like to get rid of him by adding into a trade evem though theyd pay a big chunk of his salary. I just dont see him as part of their plans. Him Archer Marte and Nightmare were the only large contracts left from old regime. Marte traded Nightmare jailed Archet will probably not have option picked up cant see having trade value. That leaves polanco who is on hook for 11 million. I can see them eating 8-9 million of that. Who knows just my 2 cents wprth. I havent played armchair GM in a while lol
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

022423363F3324323A510 wrote: I didnt say they would get rid of salary on polanco I said I feel they would like to get rid of him by adding into a trade evem though theyd pay a big chunk of his salary. I just dont see him as part of their plans. Him Archer Marte and Nightmare were the only large contracts left from old regime. Marte traded Nightmare jailed Archet will probably not have option picked up cant see having trade value. That leaves polanco who is on hook for 11 million. I can see them eating 8-9 million of that. Who knows just my 2 cents wprth. I havent played armchair GM in a while lol

I think paying a big chunk of Polanco's salary to be able to get back a decent prospect is imperative. Do it BC.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Polanco's status is an interesting question. He gets 11.6 mil in 2021. But then it's 12.5 w/3 mil buyout in 2022 and another buyout the next year if anyone had actually paid him for 2022 (at which time the sky would be crowded with monkeys that had flown out of everyone's butts). So for all practical purposes 2021 is the final year of his contract.

The Pirates always seem to treat him as if he is a star player just having an off year. So far in his 7 year career he's had the misfortune of having 7 off years. (But any year now he's ready to break out!). :)

The point is that other GMs likely see him as a marginal player and not the star-in-waiting the Pirates act as if he is. So the return on a trade would not be very much even if the Pirates agreed to pay most of that 11.6 mil for 2021. And without such an agreement I doubt any move with Polanco would be possible.

I doubt the Pirates could save much salary by trading him as they would probably pay 8 mil or so just to get a marginal prospect in return. They may find it better to just ride out 1 more year with him and hope he has a productive season. And if so, they might get more for him at the trade deadline if a contending team is impressed and wants to rent him for the stretch drive.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

634542575E5245535B300 wrote: I didnt say they would get rid of salary on polanco I said I feel they would like to get rid of him by adding into a trade evem though theyd pay a big chunk of his salary. I just dont see him as part of their plans. Him Archer Marte and Nightmare were the only large contracts left from old regime. Marte traded Nightmare jailed Archet will probably not have option picked up cant see having trade value. That leaves polanco who is on hook for 11 million. I can see them eating 8-9 million of that. Who knows just my 2 cents wprth. I havent played armchair GM in a while lol
that makes sense.  The Pirates are going to have to pay Polanco one way or the other.  I just don't want the Bucs to lessen the return by trying to move salary. I read your original post wrong.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

The Seattle Mariners are reported to be looking for bullpen help. I think we would do well to sell high on Richard Rodriguez and/or Chris Stratton. Their #9 prospect is a catcher: Cal Raleigh. He's got power. He's a switch-hitter, drafted in 2018 out of Florida State. Defense looks OK from prospect score numbers.

If it took a vet and a young reliever to swing the deal, we've got depth there, too. We badly need someone to share the catching load with Stallings, and the bullpen is one of few places where we have depth.

Harder to find a place for Adam Frazier, though he is a versatile defender and should be a MLB-average hitter. Maybe the Blue Jays would be interested, per our lead post.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

4F69687F69790A0 wrote: Was reading on the Bucs site that supposedly the Pirates were contacted about dealing some of their pitchers.

I think dealing Polanco to get rid of his salary is a losing proposition.  That means less talent comes back.  Its not like the Pirates are going to take any money saved from not having to pay Polanco for other players. 

Under normal circumstances, if a team were to reinvest a dumped salary, by all means make a deal for a lesser talent and then go shopping. But, this is the Pirates. I'd still move Polanco if I could though.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

426863536472727E110 wrote: The Seattle Mariners are reported to be looking for bullpen help. I think we would do well to sell high on Richard Rodriguez and/or Chris Stratton. Their #9 prospect is a catcher: Cal Raleigh. He's got power. He's a switch-hitter, drafted in 2018 out of Florida State. Defense looks OK from prospect score numbers.

If it took a vet and a young reliever to swing the deal, we've got depth there, too. We badly need someone to share the catching load with Stallings, and the bullpen is one of few places where we have depth.

Harder to find a place for Adam Frazier, though he is a versatile defender and should be a MLB-average hitter. Maybe the Blue Jays would be interested, per our lead post.

Stratton doesn't bring back much in the line of a decent prospect, let alone the #9 in an organization. I'm not sure Rodriguez does either.