5. Jose Osuna (R) LF

6. Colin Moran (L) 3B

7. Kevin Newman (R) SS

8. Jacob Stallings (R) C

9. Chris Archer (R) P
Ecbucs

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by Ecbucs »

at least Cardinal fans had to think there was a chance of losing tonight for the first 7 innings.
Bobster21

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by Bobster21 »

Game notes:

The Steelers won their meaningless game.

Archer, after another bad 1st inning (hits to each of the first 3 batters), ended up with 6 solid innings.

The BP lost the game with 4 late inning runs while Vazquez sat and watched and sharpened his crayons or whatever he does these days while games are going on.
WiffleballHero

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by WiffleballHero »

When I zone out during Pirates games lately, I keep having this bizarre fantasy of Bob Nutting in a hard hat:

What does it mean, Dr. Freud?
SteadyFreddy

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Another game another loss. I have no idea if this will actually happen but you gotta believe at some point here and I’ll say by next Wednesday the end of this road trip in Anaheim that if the Pirates go 0-6 and don’t win a single game on this road trip and this streak goes to 4-27 in the last 31 and 11 losses in a row overall that they are gonna have a very very hard time not firing Hurdle on the off day next Thursday before starting a 10 game home stand next weekend against the Cubs. It’s not gonna do much but at some point enough has to be enough and you gotta think Coonelly is reaching that point fairly soon.
notes34

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by notes34 »

I didn't see any of the game but it looks like Archer had a pretty good outing. I know I'm probably in the minority but I still think this guy can be a really good pitcher.
Bobster21

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by Bobster21 »

29283322347473470 wrote: I didn't see any of the game but it looks like Archer had a pretty good outing. I know I'm probably in the minority but I still think this guy can be a really good pitcher.
After 3 batters in the 1st inning, St.L. had 3 hits and the bases loaded. But he got out of it with just 1 run on a DP. He was pretty effective the rest of the way in his 6 innings with just 1 more run. He used to be a really good pitcher (21013-15) so there is hope he might get back to that level again. A game like this is encouraging, especially since his previous start was similar. He needs to pitch that way consistently instead of having as many bad outings as good. But he was solid last night.
PMike

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by PMike »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: I didn't see any of the game but it looks like Archer had a pretty good outing. I know I'm probably in the minority but I still think this guy can be a really good pitcher.
After 3 batters in the 1st inning, St.L. had 3 hits and the bases loaded. But he got out of it with just 1 run on a DP. He was pretty effective the rest of the way in his 6 innings with just 1 more run. He used to be a really good pitcher (21013-15) so there is hope he might get back to that level again. A game like this is encouraging, especially since his previous start was similar. He needs to pitch that way consistently instead of having as many bad outings as good. But he was solid last night.

IMO, Archer absolutely has the stuff. He can overpower people with his FB and his slider is really good. His problem when he gets lit up is location. Sometimes he gets away with location cause his stuff is good. But in his bad games, he throws a lot of balls in the middle of the strike zone. Last night, he did not miss in the zone much. In particular, his high FB was over powering everyone because it was at the top of the zone or out of the zone.
Ecbucs

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by Ecbucs »

71564743465B64504746465B220 wrote: Another game another loss. I have no idea if this will actually happen but you gotta believe at some point here and I’ll say by next Wednesday the end of this road trip in Anaheim that if the Pirates go 0-6 and don’t win a single game on this road trip and this streak goes to 4-27 in the last 31 and 11 losses in a row overall that they are gonna have a very very hard time not firing Hurdle on the off day next Thursday before starting a 10 game home stand next weekend against the Cubs. It’s not gonna do much but at some point enough has to be enough and you gotta think Coonelly is reaching that point fairly soon.

I'm almost hoping for no change. We are seeing history in the making.
SteadyFreddy

Pirates @ St.L. 8/9

Post by SteadyFreddy »

654342554353200 wrote: Another game another loss. I have no idea if this will actually happen but you gotta believe at some point here and I’ll say by next Wednesday the end of this road trip in Anaheim that if the Pirates go 0-6 and don’t win a single game on this road trip and this streak goes to 4-27 in the last 31 and 11 losses in a row overall that they are gonna have a very very hard time not firing Hurdle on the off day next Thursday before starting a 10 game home stand next weekend against the Cubs. It’s not gonna do much but at some point enough has to be enough and you gotta think Coonelly is reaching that point fairly soon.

I'm almost hoping for no change.  We are seeing history in the making. Yea I hear what you’re saying as much as it pains me to say being such a diehard Pirates fan I’m actually enjoying Hurdle and especially Neal, Frank and Bob being totally humiliated and embarrassed by this current losing streak they are on. We keep hearing the reports about Coonelly being very pissed about what is going on now so you just have to wonder how much longer they are gonna let this go on without making some kind of change. You can’t continue to lose essentially every night like the Pirates have been doing for the last 4 weeks or so and do absolutely nothing and not hold somebody at some point accountable. Next week should be the breaking point if this road trip ends at 0-6 or even 1-5 and this streak goes to 4-27 then you almost have to make a move.