5. Colin Moran (L) 3B

6. Corey Dickerson (L) LF

7. Elias Diaz (R) C

8. Adam Frazier (L) 2B

9. Dario Agrazal (R) P
johnfluharty

Pirates @ Marlins 6/15

Post by johnfluharty »

I don't get why they pulled Agrazal after four innings.
Bobster21

Pirates @ Marlins 6/15

Post by Bobster21 »

5E5B5C5A5258415C5546404D340 wrote: I don't get why they pulled Agrazal after four innings. 
Per the post-Gazette:

One could argue that Agrazal should have pitched at least one more inning since he had thrown 59 pitches. Hurdle didn’t agree with that line of thinking.

“Four hard-hit balls from right-hand hitters and the right-handed hitters were coming up again,” Hurdle said. “It was the third time through the lineup. I thought he got us in a good place to manage the game with the bullpen from there.”

This typifies what is wrong with the Pirates. They think they are smarter than everyone else. They put theories, formulas and analytics above performance. Agrazal was the victim of poor defense in the 4th. But the theory is that he shouldn't face the lineup a 3rd time, and some of the balls hit directly to the infielders were hit hard. So despite 4 solid innings, an effective pitcher making his MLB debut is removed early and is essentially told he will fail if he pitches any longer. That should be great for his confidence. The formula requires that the game be managed from that point on. Except that middle relief is the single most problematic part of the team. What relievers are going to manage the game at that point? Hartlieb? Feliz? Holmes? Rodriguez? So Hartlieb entered with his 8.00 ERA and immediately managed the game into a loss. But Hurdle sees nothing wrong. He believes he made the right call. The game is not about performance. Hurdle and NH are too smart to be fooled by a pitcher getting hitters out or at least getting them to hit balls that should be outs with competent defense. Games can only be won by Hurdle and NH using their superior reasoning and utilizing formulas and analytical analysis. They're way too smart to fall into the trap of letting an effective pitcher remain in the game, even if it means replacing him with an ineffective pitcher. Most people would think that was dumb. But TBMTIB knows how smart that really is. Thank goodness for all those analytics the Pirates' think tank so fervently embraces. That must be why the team is doing so well. ::)

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 1906150072
DemDog

Pirates @ Marlins 6/15

Post by DemDog »

Bobster, you ain't no good a starting the Game Thread than me. But I give you the benefit of the doubt on yesterday' game cause CH out managed himself. You go get 'em today!
Bobster21

Pirates @ Marlins 6/15

Post by Bobster21 »

Possum, I can't wait to see Hurdle manage them into a win today using Archer, who NH was clever enough to obtain.

New team hats: