Roster Questions at MLB, AAA, and AA

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Sure, the 25-man seems set to begin the season. But a couple of changes will happen within a month, and the club's decisions aren't obvious.

1. Do the Bucs DFA Stallings when Elias Diaz comes off the Injured List (IL)? He's out of options, so I think they will.

2. If Stallings makes it past waivers and elects to remain with the organization, who do the Bucs keep as his catching mate at AAA? Kelley doesn't look ready. I think they'll keep Baron at Indy. Does this move Kelley to AA and start a domino effect throughout the system? We could see Kelley and Pabst at AA, Stafford and Delay at Bradenton, and Koch and Hernandez at Greensboro.

3. Who moves out when Gregory Polanco returns in May? I think they'll keep Chisenhall because they owe him the most money. It will likely come down to Cabrera vs. Pablo Reyes. This one's too close for me to call.

4. With Albert Bauer's retirement, there is no obvious choice at 1B for Altoona. Tancas had a bad year at Bradenton. I've got to believe they will sign a minor league free agent to fill in, but I wish they would move O'Neill Cruz to 1B and give him an aggressive promotion.

5. There are so many pitching candidates at AAA and AA that I suspect that at least a half dozen familiar names will be leaving the system within a few weeks.

I'm curious if anyone has any inside info on the club's plans regarding these thoughts.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

1. He will probably get sent to Indy and exposed on waivers. I don't think he would be such a glaring upgrade at backup catcher that he would be claimed. Seems like a replacement level guy.

2. They'd probably just play every other day or something. These aren't prospects that demand that kind of playing time consideration

3. I think Melky will be DFA'd, unless he's really raking in his limited at bats. It's also possible someone will need to hit the DL or something by that point.

4. Cruz's final destination is probably the OF.

5. Maybe, I'm not sure what familiar means here.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

724F515C53595270584F5E58593D0 wrote: 1. He will probably get sent to Indy and exposed on waivers. I don't think he would be such a glaring upgrade at backup catcher that he would be claimed. Seems like a replacement level guy.

2. They'd probably just play every other day or something. These aren't prospects that demand that kind of playing time consideration

3. I think Melky will be DFA'd, unless he's really raking in his limited at bats. It's also possible someone will need to hit the DL or something by that point.

Regarding Altoona and 1B, I wonder if Weiss or Suiter will be demoted from AAA to cover 1B at AA. They wouldn't play much for Indy, if at all.

"Familiar names" is certainly relative, but for a Pirates junkie like me, Alex McRae, Nick Turley, Montana Durapau, Tate Scioneaux, Austin Coley, Sean Keselica and Jake Brentz all ring a bell, and Brandon Maurer probably sounds familiar to most here at OnlyBucs.

There's a ton of competition for pitching spots at AAA and AA!
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It is being reported that Burdi, Reyes, Newman and Kingham have made the team.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2A26277C757C74797E617B4C0 wrote: It is being reported that Burdi, Reyes, Newman and Kingham have made the team.
Tyler Lyons, Brandon Maurer, Rookie Davis, Steve Baron and Patrick Kivlehan were assigned to minor league camp. Apparently, Brault and Shuck are targeted for AAA unless Chisenhall and/or Lyles starts off on the DL.

https://www.bucsdugout.com/2019/3/26/18 ... day-roster
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

072D26162137373B540 wrote: 1. He will probably get sent to Indy and exposed on waivers. I don't think he would be such a glaring upgrade at backup catcher that he would be claimed. Seems like a replacement level guy.

Regarding Altoona and 1B, I wonder if Weiss or Suiter will be demoted from AAA to cover 1B at AA. They wouldn't play much for Indy, if at all.

"Familiar names" is certainly relative, but for a Pirates junkie like me, Alex McRae, Nick Turley, Montana Durapau, Tate Scioneaux, Austin Coley, Sean Keselica and Jake Brentz all ring a bell, and Brandon Maurer probably sounds familiar to most here at OnlyBucs.

There's a ton of competition for pitching spots at AAA and AA!

McRae will probably be outrighted, Durapau will be in the indy bullpen, Coley will probably start for indy or altoona. Brentz will be in altoona I assume.

Those are all guys that will be exposed in the minor league portion of the rule V.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

It’s still frustrating as hell that a guy like Dallas Keuchel still is out there and the Pirates have made no attempt to try and sign him what so ever. It’s mind boggling that this team just refuses to spend money and try and be better.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

64435256534E71455253534E370 wrote: It’s still frustrating as hell that a guy like Dallas Keuchel still is out there and the Pirates have made no attempt to try and sign him what so ever. It’s mind-boggling that this team just refuses to spend money and try and be better.

On the Kuechel front, I think it would cost the Bucs more than just a lot of money. I believe Kuechel turned down a qualifying offer and due to that, he would cost the Bucs their top draft pick in this year's draft. Not something TBMTIB likes to do.
BenM

Post by BenM »

1B3C2D292C310E3A2D2C2C31480 wrote: It’s still frustrating as hell that a guy like Dallas Keuchel still is out there and the Pirates have made no attempt to try and sign him what so ever. It’s mind boggling that this team just refuses to spend money and try and be better.

He's a Boras client. I'm pretty sure the team erased that phone number from the speed dial the day they traded Gerrit Cole.

But I agree that is really frustrating that this team has essentially sat out two off seasons that were historic buyers markets. Especially since three years is now considered an average contract length. That should be your financial flexibility, not spending as little money as possible.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5D7A71521F0 wrote: It’s still frustrating as hell that a guy like Dallas Keuchel still is out there and the Pirates have made no attempt to try and sign him what so ever. It’s mind boggling that this team just refuses to spend money and try and be better.

He's a Boras client. I'm pretty sure the team erased that phone number from the speed dial the day they traded Gerrit Cole.

But I agree that is really frustrating that this team has essentially sat out two off seasons that were historic buyers markets. Especially since three years is now considered an average contract length. That should be your financial flexibility, not spending as little money as possible.

the only thing to say at this stage (same with Gio G.) was that hopefully the Bucs made a serious offer, then the ball is in the players court.

He should want to play for the Bucs and then help the team kick the Astros butt in the World Series.