Jarrod Dyson

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Jarrod Dyson

Post by SammyKhalifa »

P2 and John Heyman say we're close to signing him.

IDK--I guess we need a warm body in center, but I don't know about much more than a ST invite.  I guess he has some steals.

Does he have some sort of awesome defense? Honestly I don't know much about him other than the back of the baseball card (okay, baseball reference).
SteadyFreddy

Jarrod Dyson

Post by SteadyFreddy »

He certainly doesn’t add much power to the lineup and is a .230-.240 type hitter who doesn’t drive in runs. He has speed and can steal bases and plays good defense which I guess is good enough for the Pirates.
Bobster21

Jarrod Dyson

Post by Bobster21 »

He's never hit for power or average. Had some plus defensive seasons in the OF and is a SB threat. had 30 SBs last year at age 34. But he's 35 and I would expect he's got to lose a step soon if not already. Hit .230 last year and .189 in 2018. Hard to steal if you can't reach 1B.
GermanTownship

Jarrod Dyson

Post by GermanTownship »

I really thought that we would sign Amos Otis. WHAT A JOKE!!!!
shedman

Jarrod Dyson

Post by shedman »

This is a step in the right direction by Cherington. Bring in a major league ballplayer to play OF for us. Attaboy Ben!!!
SyrBucco

Jarrod Dyson

Post by SyrBucco »

Jarrod Dyson is an example of scraping the bottom of the FA barrel. The Bucs have some speed at the top of the batting order. They lack power. They struggle against left handed pitching. Dyson bats lefty.

I'm sure he came cheap. I have no idea where to put him in the lineup. We have several mediocre lefthanded bats already (Moran, Frazier), and our switchhitters Bell and Reynolds are weaker batting against lefties. How does JT Riddle - another lefty - have any value backing up a lefty batting starter?

I am NOT impressed with this signing.
DemDog

Jarrod Dyson

Post by DemDog »

I hope he does not play like he is a Dyson vacuum cleaner. You know he sucks big time!
Bobster21

Jarrod Dyson

Post by Bobster21 »

6B4A426B40482F0 wrote: I hope he does not play like he is a Dyson vacuum cleaner.  You know he sucks big time!
:D :D :D
SammyKhalifa

Jarrod Dyson

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Well I hope his glove does . ..
IABucFan

Jarrod Dyson

Post by IABucFan »

I like this signing for one reason. It makes the team worse on paper. Guys, the Pirates are going to be BAD this year, as in horrid. As in, I'll be stunned if they don't lose 95 games, and frankly disappointed if they don't lose 100. There's literally no difference between a team going 75-87 and 60-102. Both of those teams suck, aren't making the playoffs, and have zero hope on the year. There are literally only two things that matter this year when it comes to the PBC...development of the young players currently on the roster (Reynolds, Newman, Hayes, Keller) and securing the #1 pick in 2021.

I don't get the fascination with Kevin Pillar. He isn't getting us to the playoffs. Neither was Marte. the only thing those guys do is reduce your chance of getting the #1 pick. They can go 0-162 for all I care. Just get the #1 pick and develop the young players.