Prince and Searage

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Prince and Searage

Post by Leyland1948 »

Both have been told their services are not needed next year!
DemDog

Prince and Searage

Post by DemDog »

Bucs Part Ways with Searage & Prince

The article in The Athletic (subscription reqd) is well worth the reading. Ray says that although he was disappointed in the firing he was not blaming anyone other than himself. Class act for sure.
BenM

Prince and Searage

Post by BenM »

Kind of sad to see Uncle Ray go. He did some really good work on their way to playoff contention. (Who though AJ Burnett would want to come back here?) But the results haven't been there recently.

I wonder if the new manager will be able to fire/hire other positions (GO GO Cora) or if Neil will require him to keep the remaining coaches in order to get hired.

Also, is this a hint that they are going to hire internally and this is the staff Bannister will get?
Bobster21

Prince and Searage

Post by Bobster21 »

Cora can't be far behind. Seems like the coaching staff is on thin ice. The problem with Searage is that he has had little or no success with young pitchers coming up thru the system. That's supposed to be the philosophy of the organization, to develop homegrown talent. Searage had success with some veterans who were once good and needed help to resurrect their careers. But an organization depending on young pitchers with the occasional veteran reclamation project can't succeed if the pitching coach can't do much for the young pitchers
PMike

Prince and Searage

Post by PMike »

I think the final nail in the coffin for Searage was Archer. They cashed all their chips in on him. I hope they they thought Searage could fix him and get him back to being an All Star like he had done with Burnett, Happ, and Volquez. Unfortunately...
Bobster21

Prince and Searage

Post by Bobster21 »

6C715557593C0 wrote: I think the final nail in the coffin for Searage was Archer.  They cashed all their chips in on him.  I hope they they thought Searage could fix him and get him back to being an All Star like he had done with Burnett, Happ, and Volquez.  Unfortunately...
What's worse is that the total players traded to obtain Burnett, Happ, Volquez and also Liriano were Diego Moreno, Exicardo Cayones and Adrian Sampson. Who, who and who? But trading Meadows, Glasnow and Baz for Archer who had been fading for 3 years and was in the midst of a career worst season is gross incompetence. If Searage is fired for not turning Archer into the pitcher he once was, NH should also be fired for gambling that he would.
Ecbucs

Prince and Searage

Post by Ecbucs »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: I think the final nail in the coffin for Searage was Archer.  They cashed all their chips in on him.  I hope they they thought Searage could fix him and get him back to being an All Star like he had done with Burnett, Happ, and Volquez.  Unfortunately...
What's worse is that the total players traded to obtain Burnett, Happ, Volquez and also Liriano were Diego Moreno, Exicardo Cayones and Adrian Sampson. Who, who and who? But trading Meadows, Glasnow and Baz for Archer who had been fading for 3 years and was in the midst of a career worst season is gross incompetence. If Searage is fired for not turning Archer into the pitcher he once was, NH should also be fired for gambling that he would.

I agree that NH gambled. But (mostly on other boards) I have seen the deal defended by those who say: Meadows can't field, Glasnow was never going to be successful with Pirates and Baz is far away.

Player evaluation of your own players is just as important as evaluating amateurs and other team's players. The Pirates need to be excellent at both and clearly they are not. NH is in the chain of command for evaluating the evaluators so he is responsible for poor evaluation.
UtahPirate

Prince and Searage

Post by UtahPirate »

I'm not seeing Special Assistant David Eckstein's name come up much anywhere. I think you'll see him in one of the empty coaching slots.

He's a player I loved to watch since he was such on over achiever. Where he fits I'm not sure, but I think his brother will remain as hitting coach and David will land a coaching job as well. I don't think they brought him just to advise baseball operations.
Bobster21

Prince and Searage

Post by Bobster21 »

If Cora is to be retained I hope they take him off 3B. He displayed a propensity for poor judgement with numerous runners thrown out by a mile at the plate. It's one thing to send the runner on what will be a close play. But he sent far too many runners who had no chance of being safe.
SammyKhalifa

Prince and Searage

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Has there ever been a fan anywhere that liked their team's third base coach? :D