Agreement btwn owners and players

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/mlb-mlb ... n-pay.html

So what's your take on it? Would you watch post season play in December?

I have been a proponent of the WS being played at a neutral site for a few years now. It would be the smartest thing the MLB could do outside of contracting the two florida teams.

With the talk of possible expanded rosters due to many doubleheaders, would you be more inclined to go see a game, especially if it was one price ticket for both games? Two pierogie races for the price of one!

Expanded playoffs? I'm interested to know what is meant by that. Remember when the NHL was 6 teams, and 4 made the playoffs? Then expanded to 12 teams, and 8 made the playoffs? I could see a scenario, especially with the talk of neutral sites, of 16 teams making it for a one off playoff format before returning back to the current system.

Think of the misery for the fans of teams that didn't qualify. I mean, how bad are you if more than half the league makes the playoffs, but you're not one?

NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

I'd certainly watch baseball in December. If it were year round I don't think I'd bother with much else. :)

Other than that, eh. It's really all conjecture, but the neutral sites are fine if it would get more games in. And I'm all for the real double-header, I just can't see that actually happening all that often when they can play two and charge for two.
shedman

Post by shedman »

"I mean, how bad are you if more than half the league makes the playoffs, but you're not one?" That is a question that we Pirate fans may have to deal with.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I don't want them to cram games into a short period of time.  I'd just rather they play how ever many games it takes to end the regular season when it usually ends.  I don't want the playoffs expanded.  And I certainly don't want any rule changes, like seven inning doubleheaders.  This is an unusual circumstance. Don't make it any more unusual.
JulianJay

Post by JulianJay »

4440487F69794C6B640A0 wrote: I'd certainly watch baseball in December. If it were year round I don't think I'd bother with much else. :)

Other than that, eh. It's really all conjecture, but the neutral sites are fine if it would get more games in. And I'm all for the real double-header, I just can't see that actually happening all that often when they can play two and charge for two. Me too. Though scheduling against MNF, TNF, SNF couljd mean games in January. Just in time for spring training. Pretty bad look for MLB if they double charge for too many double headers.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

486E697C75796E78701B0 wrote: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/mlb-mlb ... n-pay.html

So what's your take on it? Would you watch post season play in December?

I have been a proponent of the WS being played at a neutral site for a few years now.  It would be the smartest thing the MLB could do outside of contracting the two florida teams.

With the talk of possible expanded rosters due to many doubleheaders, would you be more inclined to go see a game, especially if it was one price ticket for both games? Two pierogie races for the price of one!

Expanded playoffs? I'm interested to know what is meant by that. Remember when the NHL was 6 teams, and 4 made the playoffs? Then expanded to 12 teams, and 8 made the playoffs?  I could see a scenario, especially with the talk of neutral sites, of 16 teams making it for a one off playoff format before returning back to the current system.

Think of the misery for the fans of teams that didn't qualify. I mean, how bad are you if more than half the league makes the playoffs, but you're not one?

Thinking they will just shorten the season to fit. I don't like the idea of playing the game in a neutral site. Fans who have supported the team should have the ability to see their team compete for a WS IMO.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

If the NFL is in full tilt by December, MLB post season games might be just an afterthought to fans other than the cities involved. MLB and the national broadcast networks rely on those games to be of national interest. Could be a problem.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

075147535C46565D5047755258545C591B56350 wrote: I don't want them to cram games into a short period of time.  I'd just rather they play how ever many games it takes to end the regular season when it usually ends.  I don't want the playoffs expanded.  And I certainly don't want any rule changes, like seven inning doubleheaders.  This is an unusual circumstance. Don't make it any more unusual.
I agree no 7 inning DH. That is crazy. No games played past November 15th. I am a bigger baseball fan than football, but don’t schedule baseball games during the very heart of the NFL. We already know football has surpassed baseball as the better pastime so don’t compete with football as we approach winter.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

747879222B222A27203F25120 wrote: I don't want them to cram games into a short period of time.  I'd just rather they play how ever many games it takes to end the regular season when it usually ends.  I don't want the playoffs expanded.  And I certainly don't want any rule changes, like seven inning doubleheaders.  This is an unusual circumstance. Don't make it any more unusual.
I agree no 7 inning DH. That is crazy. No games played past November 15th. I am a bigger baseball fan than football, but don’t schedule baseball games during the very heart of the NFL. We already know football has surpassed baseball as the better pastime so don’t compete with football as we approach winter.

If season can't start by July 15 (maybe even July 1) then I think it should just be cancelled. I don't think season should be extended more than a week or two and post season games should not be played at neutral sites (and the chances are some of those neutral sites would be home to playoff teams anyway so not really neutral).
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5A56570C050C04090E110B3C0 wrote: I don't want them to cram games into a short period of time.  I'd just rather they play how ever many games it takes to end the regular season when it usually ends.  I don't want the playoffs expanded.  And I certainly don't want any rule changes, like seven inning doubleheaders.  This is an unusual circumstance. Don't make it any more unusual.

Agreed. End the baseball season when it tradionally ends. It already makes me squirm when the World Series is played so closely to the end of October.