Kevin Newman

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Kevin Newman

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It appears that K Bryan Hayes will join the Bucs in the next couple days. When this happens a roster move will be required to activate Hayes. The logical choice would be to dfa either Alford or Fowler. Neither of these players have options remaining so another team could claim them from the waiver wire. If they wanted to wait a little longer to see if either was going to produce could Newman be an option to send to the alternate training site ? Newman has struggled to begin the season, and Eric Gonzalez has hit better, and is the better defender. Just a thought as to whether the Bucs would consider this move.
steve49

Kevin Newman

Post by steve49 »

Newman never seems to hit a ball hard anymore. I don't get it as he was always a good hitter. Maybe a small sample size but he was terrible in 2020 also.....
DemDog

Kevin Newman

Post by DemDog »

I send Fowler packing and let Alford continue to drink some coffee in MLB. Newman might break out soon. If he doesn't then wait to see how Tucker works out in AAA.
MaineBucs

Kevin Newman

Post by MaineBucs »

I acknowledge your frustration with Newman. While he amassed his fair share and more of infield hits in 2019, he also put a charge into some hit balls. In 2020 and continuing into this season, it is quite rare to see Newman hit anything with any authority. Unless Newman soon rebounds (rediscovers his 2019 hitting stroke), he could be the equivalent of a one hit wonder. And, if he isn't hitting, his defense is not good enough to carry him.

That said, the Bucs should continue to give him regular starts to see if 2019 was or was not a mirage. I also believe there is a strong likelihood that Frazier still will be traded this year, meaning that the Bucs will need someone to play 2nd (Newman) who can hold down the position until Nick Gonzales (hopefully) is ready.

steve49

Kevin Newman

Post by steve49 »

537F77707B5C6B7D6D1E0 wrote: I acknowledge your frustration with Newman.  While he amassed his fair share and more of infield hits in 2019, he also put a charge into some hit balls.  In 2020 and continuing into this season, it is quite rare to see Newman hit anything with any authority.  Unless Newman soon rebounds (rediscovers his 2019 hitting stroke), he could be the equivalent of a one hit wonder.  And, if he isn't hitting, his defense is not good enough to carry him. 

That said, the Bucs should continue to give him regular starts to see if 2019 was or was not a mirage.   I also believe there is  a strong likelihood that Frazier still will be traded this year, meaning that the Bucs will need someone to play 2nd (Newman) who can hold down the position until Nick Gonzales (hopefully) is ready.

Take a look at this... It's terrible . Look at the % of balls he's barreling up. He's like in the bottom 3% in hitting the ball hard.

Kevin Newman Statcast, Visuals & Advanced Metrics | MLB.com

(null) Avg Exit Velocity: 85, Hard Hit %: 24.5, wOBA: .297, xwOBA: .283, Barrel %: 1.6.
Bobster21

Kevin Newman

Post by Bobster21 »

4047564556070A330 wrote: I acknowledge your frustration with Newman.  While he amassed his fair share and more of infield hits in 2019, he also put a charge into some hit balls.  In 2020 and continuing into this season, it is quite rare to see Newman hit anything with any authority.  Unless Newman soon rebounds (rediscovers his 2019 hitting stroke), he could be the equivalent of a one hit wonder.  And, if he isn't hitting, his defense is not good enough to carry him. 

That said, the Bucs should continue to give him regular starts to see if 2019 was or was not a mirage.   I also believe there is  a strong likelihood that Frazier still will be traded this year, meaning that the Bucs will need someone to play 2nd (Newman) who can hold down the position until Nick Gonzales (hopefully) is ready.

Take a look at this... It's terrible . Look at the % of balls he's barreling up. He's like in the bottom 3% in hitting the ball hard.

Kevin Newman Statcast, Visuals & Advanced Metrics  | MLB.com

(null) Avg Exit Velocity: 85, Hard Hit %: 24.5, wOBA: .297, xwOBA: .283, Barrel %: 1.6.

Here's more on Newman and discusses his negative launch angle.

https://insidethebucsbasement.com/2021/ ... s0n4MX3Sys
Ecbucs

Kevin Newman

Post by Ecbucs »

4A676A7B7C6D7A3A39080 wrote: I acknowledge your frustration with Newman.  While he amassed his fair share and more of infield hits in 2019, he also put a charge into some hit balls.  In 2020 and continuing into this season, it is quite rare to see Newman hit anything with any authority.  Unless Newman soon rebounds (rediscovers his 2019 hitting stroke), he could be the equivalent of a one hit wonder.  And, if he isn't hitting, his defense is not good enough to carry him. 

Kevin Newman Statcast, Visuals & Advanced Metrics  | MLB.com

Here's more on Newman and discusses his negative launch angle.

https://insidethebucsbasement.com/2021/ ... s0n4MX3Sys

hopefully he is not turning into Warren Morris as a one year wonder.
Bobster21

Kevin Newman

Post by Bobster21 »

To Newman's credit he was a solid hitter in the minors. While no one expected him to hit .308 as a rookie, that seems more representative of his abilities than the .212 he has combined for since then. He has too much ability to be the automatic out he has become. But they can't wait forever for him to find it again. If he continues to flounder they may have to move on from him.
WildwoodDave2

Kevin Newman

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

604149604B43240 wrote: I send Fowler packing and let Alford continue to drink some coffee in MLB.  Newman might break out soon.  If he doesn't then wait to see how Tucker works out in AAA.
Choosing between Fowler and Alford is a definite head scratcher!
ChillinStation

Kevin Newman

Post by ChillinStation »

I would send Alford packing . He has never been a hitter at least Fowler has shown something in the minors.