general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

3pirates3

Article on Cruz

Post by 3pirates3 »

Surgnbuck

Re: Article on Cruz

Post by Surgnbuck »

I swear that guy read some of my goofy comments on Cruz (90 HR, 70 errors) and turned it into a story. Especially the curious use of a phrase I have used quite often going back to the AOL chatroom days, "which must be some sort of record."
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:59 pm I swear that guy read some of my goofy comments on Cruz (90 HR, 70 errors) and turned it into a story. Especially the curious use of a phrase I have used quite often going back to the AOL chatroom days, "which must be some sort of record."
Didn’t you know that everyone wants to be like you?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

How has Cruz looked at short?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This past week we have seen Cruz struggling at the plate as well as in the field. Especially last night was a bad night for him. I know he has 15 or 16 homers and 50 some rbi, but if you were the GM and this offseason a team approached you with a package of players for Cruz would you make the deal? I don’t want all prospects in return, but let’s say a major league shortstop and first baseman with years of control and one or two high end prospects. The two Major Leaguers are solid players, not All Stars, but players to fill the Pirates two positions. Possibly similar to the Tony Pena trade, but as well as two high end prospects. Personally I would have to give it much thought.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I certainly would consider dealing him. Some times he has looked great (he had highlight defensive play recently -against AZ or Cards?). Then a disaster like last night. He is now tied for major league lead in errors with Cincinnati's shortstop (who has played in more games). To me at least one or two of his errors last night were from trying too hard.

Trying too hard is better than being lackadaisical, I think he has done a good job of cheering for teammates in some of the after game celebrations (even in games where he has not done anything great).

I give him the rest of the year to show that he can play short and then a decision needs to be made for where he will play next year. I'd like to try him in centerfield before right field and go with outfield of Reynolds, Cruz and de la Cruz if O'Neil can handle it out there. Also need to see if he can hit lefties, he is only hitting 163 this season in 98 at bats against lefties.

As far as short goes perhaps Kiner-Falefa would be upgrade defensively at short next year if Cruz is moved.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Move Cruz to 1B or the OF. Better yet, he needs to grow up and realize that he is not an all-world player. Use his batting skills and arm strength to make the Bucs a better team going forward.
Let's Go Bucs
GhostOfPitthorn

Post by GhostOfPitthorn »

For those wanting to throw away Cruz, I have two words...Ronny Cedeno. Better the devil you know.

"I cannot spare Oneil Cruz...he fights."
-Ghost of Abrahorn Lincoln
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Possum wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:13 pm Move Cruz to 1B or the OF. Better yet, he needs to grow up and realize that he is not an all-world player. Use his batting skills and arm strength to make the Bucs a better team going forward.
Assuming he can bat at least .230 against Lefty's
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:29 pm
Possum wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:13 pm Move Cruz to 1B or the OF. Better yet, he needs to grow up and realize that he is not an all-world player. Use his batting skills and arm strength to make the Bucs a better team going forward.
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:29 pm
Also he must learn what the words "I GOT IT I GOT IT" actually mean