Jonah Davis

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Jonah Davis

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Replaced Marte who was a late scratch today. Hit two homers which was impressive. I don’t remember much from him last season, but he hit .306 at Bristol with 33 extra base hits and 34 rbi. Those are very good statistics for a young player who was drafted in June, so he will be a player to follow this season.
dmetz

Jonah Davis

Post by dmetz »

I wonder where he's being sent this year?

He was too old and experienced for the level last year... and the good numbers brought with it a 30-some % K rate to boot. Should be in A or A+ ball coming out of Cal Berkley, not high rookie ball.

OrlandoMerced

Jonah Davis

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think he'll be in Bradenton.
DemDog

Jonah Davis

Post by DemDog »

575E564749330 wrote: I wonder where he's being sent this year?

He was too old and experienced for the level last year... and the good numbers brought with it a 30-some % K rate to boot.   Should be in A or A+ ball coming out of Cal Berkley,  not high rookie ball.

I was wondering the same thing about Davis. I looked at his MilB stats and saw his age and him being from a college. I believe Bristol is where they will place an advanced prep player vs a college player. Usually someone with Davis experience and age he would start at Morgantown. Last year though the BlackBears had #1 Pick Swaggerty in Morgantown for most of the season. He was promoted to WV Power for a cup of coffee after Morgantown season was done.

My guess is Davis will start the season at Greensboro with the chance to get to Bradenton sometime in the season depending on his performance.
thomasevans

Jonah Davis

Post by thomasevans »

0A2B230A21294E0 wrote: I wonder where he's being sent this year?

He was too old and experienced for the level last year... and the good numbers brought with it a 30-some % K rate to boot.   Should be in A or A+ ball coming out of Cal Berkley,  not high rookie ball.

I was wondering the same thing about Davis.  I looked at his MilB stats and saw his age and him being from a college.  I believe Bristol is where they will place an advanced prep player vs a college player.  Usually someone with Davis experience and age he would start at Morgantown.  Last year though the BlackBears had #1 Pick Swaggerty in Morgantown for most of the season.  He was promoted to WV Power for a cup of coffee after Morgantown season was done. 

My guess is Davis will start the season at Greensboro with the chance to get to Bradenton sometime in the season depending on his performance.

I'm a huge Jonah Davis fan. I think what's more important is his age relative to the rest of the APPY leaguers he played against. He was 20 last year, -0.3 years younger than the weighted average of hitters in the league, according to BR. I know it's only Rookie ball, but he showed serious power and is a good enough athlete to play center. Fingers crossed...
DemDog

Jonah Davis

Post by DemDog »

223E393B37253320373825560 wrote: I wonder where he's being sent this year?

I was wondering the same thing about Davis.  I looked at his MilB stats and saw his age and him being from a college.  I believe Bristol is where they will place an advanced prep player vs a college player.  Usually someone with Davis experience and age he would start at Morgantown.  Last year though the BlackBears had #1 Pick Swaggerty in Morgantown for most of the season.  He was promoted to WV Power for a cup of coffee after Morgantown season was done. 

I'm a huge Jonah Davis fan. I think what's more important is his age relative to the rest of the APPY leaguers he played against. He was 20 last year, -0.3 years younger than the weighted average of hitters in the league, according to BR. I know it's only Rookie ball, but he showed serious power and is a good enough athlete to play center. Fingers crossed...

He was at rookie ball because of his lack of patience at the plate and because he was blocked at Morgantown by some higher draft choices from last year and a couple slightly more advanced prospects. As I said before I would expect him to start at Greensboro and if he is more patient at the plate with similar power results Bradenton is not out of reach.